BROOKSIDE OAK PART I: GUEST BATHROOM RENOVATION COMPLETE!

Dayka Robinson Brookside Oak Guest Bathroom Renovation Vertical Butcher Block Countertop Grey Cabinets Subway tile shower Kohler Brass 11:2015

This Brookside Oak project started out as a Master Bathroom renovation & quickly expanded to include the Guest Bathroom as well! To keep costs low, the major finishes were duplicated for both bathrooms (flooring, toilets, paint color, hardware, countertops & faucets) with small customizations added as needed for each space.

The Befores:

IMG_8075

IMG_8078

guest bathroom before

Here’s what we did: Nothing changed layout-wise in this space. The original cabinetry was in excellent condition in both bathrooms so I had each vanity refinished with a charcoal hued paint to create a modern, classic look. She fell in love with the bone & brass hardware that I selected for my bathroom renovation so we used it here as well which created a thoughtfully layered look–nothing here reeks of “cookie cutter upgrades”. The real stunner, however, is the custom butcher block countertop!! *sighs* There are no pictures alive that can do it justice and while I’m taking credit for the concept, the beautiful fabrication & finish is solely due to my out-of-this-world carpenter.  I’m lucky to have a team of some of THE BEST & MOST DETAILED craftsmen and in this case, he knocked it out of the park. Layer by layer, this thing was conditioned, stained, sanded & buffed (3x!) by hand and you can TELL when you see it in person. The cuts/finishing for the Kohler undermount sink is one of my favorite parts of this project….because it was done to perfection. And while “cutting a hole for a sink” may not sounds like a big deal here’s the thing: when you’re doing ANY custom fabrication, every.bit.matters. It’s definitely a measure twice, cut once kinda thing.  Every part needs to be templated & cut by hand and when you run your fingers across this sink opening?? BABAYYYYYYYYYYYY (Whitney Houston voice)!!!! It’s seriously like butter. I’d bet my life that they are THEE smoothest & silkiest butcher block countertops you’ll ever set eyes (or hands) on.

While I was dyyyyyyyyying to add wallpaper to both of these bathrooms for texture, the clients were not fans of wallcovering and since adequate lighting for makeup application was a must, the color palette stayed light to keep the bathroom bright & airy.

Dayka Robinson Brookside Oak Guest Bathroom Renovation Vertical Wide Grey Cabinets 11:2015

Custom floor to ceiling lined shower curtain.

Dayka Robinson Brookside Oak Custom Butcher Block Countertop Bathroom 11:2015

Dayka Robinson Guest Bathroom Renovation Crystal Door Knobs Brookside Oak 11:2015

Vintage-style crystal door hardware.

Dayka Robinson Brookside Oak Guest Bathroom Renovation Vertical Butcher Block Countertop Grey Cabinets Anthropologie 11:2015

Skirted toilet (I’m obsessed with these!).

Dayka Robinson Brookside Oak Guest Bathroom Renovation Sink Kohler Brass Butcher Block 11:2015

That beautiful, perfect sink opening…..

Dayka Robinson Brookside Oak Guest Bathroom Renovation Subway Tile Shower Brass Kohler Hardware 11:2015

Brick lay subway tile to the ceiling + charcoal grout (always makes a huge difference!)

So as you can see, even changing a few things in this bathroom made a HUGE difference. Wallcoverings provide an added layer but even without their addition, this bathroom stands on it own due to the finish choices.

As I like to say, spend once, spend right.

14 Comments on BROOKSIDE OAK PART I: GUEST BATHROOM RENOVATION COMPLETE!

1. Rashon Carraway
    January 14, 2016 at 6:29 am (1 year ago)

That wall paper would have sung just like a canary, but this space is gorgeous!

Dayka you did that!!

• DaykaRobinson
      January 14, 2016 at 12:12 pm (1 year ago)

Can you imagine???? Grasscloth or a modern pattern!! This happens a lot with clients though, they love it but aren’t sure about it for THEIR space (but then see it on Pinterest & love it again, lol!). Still, I’m happy. Light, bright & beautiful.

Thank you!

Xo,
      D

2. Shavonda@SGStyle
    January 14, 2016 at 11:32 am (1 year ago)

Yesssssss Dayka!! So fantastic. I love that you went with wood counters here. Also really live a skirted toilet. Also that chandy is fantastic. Such a great update sweets.

• DaykaRobinson
      January 14, 2016 at 12:10 pm (1 year ago)

Shavonda:

Truly, skirted toilets are EVVVVVVERYTHING!!! I will never buy another regular one again! Thanks, doll!

Xo,
      D

3. Tiffini
    January 14, 2016 at 12:28 pm (1 year ago)

All I can say is ahhhhhhhhh! Fantastic job!

• DaykaRobinson
      January 14, 2016 at 12:31 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you, Tiffini! Small changes with huge results!

Xo,
      D

4. Nikki White
    January 14, 2016 at 8:43 pm (1 year ago)

Yes to a skirted toilet! Always. Such a smart update to this space with the cabinet color, counter tops and faucets. Loving these custom shower curtains, which is something we never do here in Miami!

• DaykaRobinson
      January 14, 2016 at 10:10 pm (1 year ago)

There is such a huge difference in the look (custom shower curtain)! You’ll have to tell me what you think when you have a project (or client!) that allows for it. Thanks for the kind words!!

Xo,
      D

5. Tiffany
    March 25, 2016 at 9:53 am (1 year ago)

That subway tile is EVERYTHING! I keep saying that I don’t want to spend money on bathroom renovations (as we’re on our first house). I know that a bathroom upgrade can easily cost upwards of $20K and that’s not in the budget. But you have me so tempted to think about just doing wallpaper and the subway tile for impact! Just gorgeous!

• DaykaRobinson
      March 29, 2016 at 9:57 pm (1 year ago)

Tiffany:

Thank you!!

6. Lyssa
    October 1, 2016 at 8:53 pm (8 months ago)

Love this- missed this one! Every bit of this I love! Was a lot saved with retaining the cabinetry?

• DaykaRobinson
      November 9, 2016 at 9:34 pm (7 months ago)

Yes, a ton! Cabinetry can eat up a big chunk of the budget, especially when you factor in custom finishing and hardware (which can get incredibly expensive)! If you have cabinets that are structurally sound and have a good, modern line, I say keep them!

7. lera
    November 21, 2016 at 11:19 pm (6 months ago)

Love this! I know the curtains were custom – but where did you find the fabric?

• DaykaRobinson
      November 22, 2016 at 12:00 am (6 months ago)

Lewis & Sheron!