TURNING DOWN A GOOD THING…FOR THE BEST THING.

4big

Recently I was extended an invitation to participate in a great professional opportunity but as I checked my calendar, I realized said opportunity would overlap with a really important event this summer–my trip to Istanbul. Now this business opportunity is cool. It’s relatively high profile and would be a chance to further my career, expand my exposure, build my brand and do something creative & fun. But Istanbul?? It’s the trip of a lifetime.

Lately when I’ve faced decisions like this I ask myself 2 questions to help figure out my highest course of action–they serve as an inner compass and never steer me wrong:

“Will this decision take you closer to who you want to be? Will this decision take you closer to where you want to be?”

As I weighed the decision–one that wouldn’t have kept me entirely from the trip but definitely would’ve made it much less relaxing than I intended–the “right” answer quickly became clear: I needed to turn down the professional opportunity to devote my time & attention to the trip. Because in my heart, traveling to Istanbul is so much more than just a vacation. When I think about that trip, I think about how the experience will change me. About the new people I’ll meet and all of the incredible ancient sites I’ll see. About the spiritual experiences I’ll have. And mostly, about the fact that that trip will take me closer to who I want to be–a woman focused on creating memories, having life changing experiences all across the world, and fully committed to the growth of mySELF.

Is my business important? No doubt. But my work is who I am, while my business is the vehicle through which I work…and there’s a big difference between the two. I know that the best way to grow my business is to grow my self (that’s no typo), and when realized this was the choice I was being called to make, the right answer immediately became apparent.

Because sometimes you have to turn down a good thing….to experience the best thing.

7 Comments on TURNING DOWN A GOOD THING…FOR THE BEST THING.

1. BessieAkuba
    June 12, 2015 at 6:30 am (2 years ago)

Your time in Istanbul will be life changing. Life. Change. Ing. I’m telling you. So that fact that you made the decision to take this journey instead of the business opportunity makes it evermore so. The things you will see, hear, feel, and experience will stretch you so far girl..and there is no telling what you will manifest while you are there! Enjoy it. And while you are there, if you have time check out SALT, their multi-mulition dollar contemporary art space. and aaaaalll the street markets..eeek 🙂 !

• DaykaRobinson
      June 12, 2015 at 6:37 am (2 years ago)

Bessie:

THANK YOU for sharing this! I know you know from experience but even more than that, your feedback confirms that I made the right decision. Because as you know, “Change.Ing” is MUCH different than “changing”. 🙂 I looked at my situation and thought, “I can make a business decision that will grow my biz and grow me but when I grow mySelf?? I will grow my whole life.” I am SUPER excited….and of course, I’ll be calling you for tips!! Thank you!!

D

2. Candace
    June 12, 2015 at 8:42 am (2 years ago)

I’ll say it yet again, THANK YOU! I love how open and receptive you are to intuition and gut guidance, I’m working on it. When I turned 30 I decided that I would start doing things I always think about doing travel is definitely a major aspect. I can’t wait to hear about this amazing trip and the opportunities that come looking for you once you get back!

• DaykaRobinson
      June 12, 2015 at 9:29 pm (2 years ago)

Candace:

I love that you read & comment and am so appreciative of your longtime support!! It is a process for sure, and I’m still learning. But it feels good to know how to make decisions that feel good. To not have to call my friends and go on & on about something I MADE the decision to do! I am SO looking forward to this trip–just sharing this post today gave me a ton of unexpected resources!

Xo,
      D

3. Michelle
    June 12, 2015 at 11:27 am (2 years ago)

Which is good for your career and which is good for your soul? That’s what I ask myself.

• DaykaRobinson
      June 12, 2015 at 9:27 pm (2 years ago)

Michelle:

That’s a good one too! I was thinking, “this will grow my career which can grow my soul, but if I start with my soul, I’ll grow everything I touch.” I know it’s the best decision!

Dayka

4. Roxine
    June 15, 2015 at 2:55 pm (2 years ago)

Dayka that’s fantastic!!! Can’t wait to read more about where this takes you.