BEFORE & AFTER: MY BRIGHT + BOLD HOME OFFICE REDESIGN

Dayka Robinson Designs Home Black & White Office Makeover horizontal wide

Experiencing the power of a good makeover always blows my mind…even though I make this kind of magic happen for a living. There’s something about seeing an unfinished space, creating a plan in your mind & then watching it come together–bit by bit–that will never get old for me. Never.

So I was glad when the time finally came to wave my magic wand around my home office. The truth? This space has been unpresentable for years (like, since I first moved in). I started off in the smaller of my 2 guest bedrooms then eventually migrated to the larger room. But like much of the rest of my house, it took me awhile to figure out what I really wanted…how I would work in the space, what kind of storage I needed and time to sort through all of the junk that I somehow accumulated & collected over the years. Ugh.

So when I was approached earlier this year to be a spokesperson for Astrobrights’ “Colorize Your Business” campaign, the timing lined up perfectly. I’d already crafted my design game plan in anticipation of my office redo and since part of my duties involved filming a few videos for Astrobrights’ campaign, my newly designed office made for the perfect backdrop.

So the Befores….Office before

It didn’t look exactly like this in the beginning–this is actually an in progress shot once I started clearing everything out but as you can see, there’s not much to see here. The energy radiates off of this room…and it ain’t good. I actually liked the orientation of the room as I originally had it (I had 5 Ikea Vittsjo shelves behind the desk which worked really well to anchor the space) but nothing else was working…as you can gather.

Office before-2

Once I started pulling up the carpet (my new white floor is actually just the original subfloor  painted white with an industrial strength Sherwin Williams paint) it started to look like something I could really work with. And this is the phase of design I love–the scary part where it gets worse before it gets better. You may even recognize the paint on the wall next to the closet door–when I participated in the 2013 Cathedral Antiques Inspiration House, I just couldn’t wrap my head around what I’d planned without seeing it in person, so I tested out the design on the walls of my home office. Needless to say, after playing around with the color variation, the design made the cut. Office before 5Office before-3And the rest of the Afters:

Dayka Robinson Designs Home Black & White Office Makeover VerticalDayka Robinson Designs Home  Black & White Office Makeover horizontal black trimDayka Robinson Designs Home Office Makeover Inspiration BoardDayka Robinson Designs Home Office Makeover Door Jamb(painted the door jamb Chartreuse as well as the closets!)

The best thing about my new space? Not only does it feel like me, but I work SO much more efficiently here now that I’ve decluttered, reorganized and created a proper place for everything I need. It reminds me that there’s not just an aesthetic value to interior design but an intrinsic one as well–and that your space is often times a reflection of your life.

I love that I’m in a place where everything on the inside is being reflected in my home–organization, expansion, renovation & completion. Just like me.

20 Comments on BEFORE & AFTER: MY BRIGHT + BOLD HOME OFFICE REDESIGN

1. Denetra
    April 27, 2015 at 6:32 am (2 years ago)

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

• DaykaRobinson
      April 27, 2015 at 9:07 am (2 years ago)

Thank you, Denetra! Xo

2. Rashon
    April 27, 2015 at 6:38 am (2 years ago)

LOVE this space Dayka. Are the drapes custom? Regardles I love this popping color. Don’t hold out show us some more photos!!!

Rashon Carraway

• DaykaRobinson
      April 27, 2015 at 9:11 am (2 years ago)

Thank you, Rashon!!

The drapes are custom and are probably my favorite part of the room. The only thing I wish I would’ve done was made them blackout (when I get up to write in the morning, I like it to be super dark to keep my mojo flowing) but other than than, they’re exactly what I wanted. One of my closets is empty and the plan is to install some hanging rods to corral all of my fabric samples. As soon as more is done I’ll share!

Xo

3. Jessie | The Design Daredevil
    April 27, 2015 at 9:29 am (2 years ago)

You are giving me SO much inspiration right now….as I type in my HIDEOUS office. :-/

I LOVE your choices, especially the framed image of YOU – Gorgeous!

• DaykaRobinson
      April 27, 2015 at 4:09 pm (2 years ago)

Jessie-

We are such design sisters! I saw your entryway this morning and LOVED it…so up my alley. People crack up at all of the pics I have around my house but that’s one of the reasons this place feels so much like home…the photos I love the most of me are all up and THROUGH my place–LOL! Thank you, friend. Xo

4. Tiffany
    April 27, 2015 at 10:51 am (2 years ago)

ummm love!!!

• DaykaRobinson
      April 27, 2015 at 4:10 pm (2 years ago)

Tiffany-

Thank you!! And we must celebrate our Essence debut (well, my debut your return!) when you come in a few weeks. But no Mary Macs this time…ha!

Can’t wait to see you,
      D

5. Tammy Bolden
    April 27, 2015 at 2:21 pm (2 years ago)

Your before looks like my current. Amazing transformation!! Very Inspiring…

• DaykaRobinson
      April 27, 2015 at 4:11 pm (2 years ago)

Tammy-

Well the ONLY reason I showed those pics was because you had an after to see. Ugh…working in that space was SUCH a drain, and I really didn’t even know it. I love the floor so much I’m thinking about pulling up the carpet in my bedroom, too!

6. Tonia
    April 29, 2015 at 4:36 pm (2 years ago)

I love the space! The drapes are sexy! Gives me inspiration to redo my home office.

• DaykaRobinson
      April 29, 2015 at 10:50 pm (2 years ago)

Tonia-
      Thank you–I’m so happy with how it’s turned out! I am in love with the drapery but also with the white floor…it’s one of those things that kind of fades into the background but really sets the tone for the room. Would love to see what you come up with!

7. Keisha
    May 17, 2015 at 11:02 am (2 years ago)

Love your office space, its simply jaw dropping. You’ve inspired me to turn my “junk room” into an office space. If you don’t mind me asking what is the paint color/brand used on the doors and wall treatment?

• DaykaRobinson
      May 17, 2015 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Keisha!

The paint is Sherwin Williams and the colors are Tricorn Black and Eye Catching (fitting, right?!). Thank you for the compliments–make that “junk room” work for you!

Xo,
      D

8. Marquita Cross
    May 18, 2015 at 1:11 pm (2 years ago)

What an awesome transformation!! Your designs inspire me so much…I absolutely love it!!! Keep the photos coming Dayka…amazing work!!

• DaykaRobinson
      May 25, 2015 at 10:47 am (2 years ago)

What a compliment–thank you, Marquita!

9. Angela
    December 26, 2015 at 5:00 pm (2 years ago)

Beautiful!!!! I love this transformation. Anything is creatively possible in the interior design world. Fabulous!

• DaykaRobinson
      December 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you, Angela. And I agree even in life–ANYTHING is possible!

Xo

• DaykaRobinson
      March 25, 2016 at 3:21 am (2 years ago)

Thanks, Brittany!