REFINISHING RULE #1

Take your pieces inside at the end of the day, even if it says it’s not going to rain. Don’t be like me and trust the weatherman, only to wake up and find the piece you spent all day slaving over (in the hot Georgia sun, no less) got soaked, the back got warped, the stain has water marks (also slightly scratched from trying to wipe the water off) & also has grass/debris now stuck to the feet.

It might not seem like a big deal in this photo, but trust me–it is. Especially when it was looking so flawless last night! I was hoping to finish this before the real thunderstorms roll in tomorrow and continue thru the rest of the week but clearly, that ain’t gonna happen. Time to pull a rabbit out of my hat….

11 Comments on REFINISHING RULE #1

1. Dayka (Life +Style)
    July 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm (6 years ago)

oooh! in between poly coats is the WORST, especially if it’s not all they way dry–that stuff dents so easily! the good thing is that you can lightly sand it (which they recommend doing between coats anyway) and pretty much get it out. BTW, i actually got bird s*** on my hand once before when out shopping with a girlfriend…NOT a fun time! 🙂

2. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    July 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm (6 years ago)

I’m so sorry, that’s a huge disappointment especially since you must have put so much time and effort into the project.

3. Angela
    July 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm (6 years ago)

The dresser is beautiful. I know it’s going to be pretty despite the trouble right now.

4. Stephanie Sabbe
    July 19, 2011 at 9:04 pm (6 years ago)

booo! so sad. So would have happened to me. Hope you buys ladies are having a good summer! I’ve been keeping up with the Room Service adventures via twitter:)

5. Dayka (Life +Style)
    July 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm (6 years ago)

ok–so after all these hours (of almost pulling my hair out), i think i may have found a solution! hopefully i can post it friday…. 🙂

6. hollyG
    July 20, 2011 at 6:12 am (6 years ago)

Oh know…!! I’m doing one of my first furniture paints and was wondering about this too. What about leaving the piece in a garage? I’m thinking I should bring them inside all together to avoid any heat and humidity – what do you thinK? And I love that piece you’re working on – is that for your master?

7. Bernadette @ b3hd
    July 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm (6 years ago)

loved how dark and lovely that was turning out. I would never have that issue up here. We know it is ALWAYS going to rain in my parts so there is no sense in thinking/wishing/hoping/praying otherwise. Course, we miss out on sunny days with that pessimism, but you’ll never read a PNW blogger talking about leaving her stuff out in the rain (smile).

Lovely piece. I am CERTAIN you’ll figure out an awesome way to make it even better. Or at least have some tasty lemonade with your lemons.

Bernadette @b3hd

8. Pixie
    October 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm (5 years ago)

Reading older posts and came across this one. I’ve been thinking of doing something similar with my dresser. I can’t decide if I should make the drawers white or the make the outside shell white. lol. I’ve seen it both ways and like both.