Wrap Up: My Scott Antique Market Vendor Experience

I’m back from my loonngg weekend (last weekend) as a vendor at Scott’s! I’ll tell you upfront that I made ZERO DOLLARS, but my overall experience was still really positive. I’m happy that, by doing this, I was able to check off a goal that’s long been on my list, and the experience definitely helped me get clearer about what I want to do.   I won’t go as far as to rule it out, but don’t count on me doing it again soon either!  Here are a few things I learned during my time as a vendor this past weekend…

• Markets like these aren’t for the faint of heart. Scott’s has a lot of permanent vendors and these are people who pretty much work the antique market “circuit” as a living. For them, it’s not about making a killing (so to speak) over one weekend as much as it is about meeting a monthly goal. Translation? Don’t set up a booth and expect to go home with empty hands and fat pockets 4 days later–that probably ain’t gonna happen! For me, I think the process is a bit too tedious & time-consuming to do as a side hustle. Believe me when I say that setting up and breaking down your booth is no fun. I had grand ideas about doing this elaborate setup, but once I saw all that it took to get those beautiful display booths together, that plan was quickly scrapped.
  • The vendors are all really nice and extremely helpful. I had no clue how things ran out there, but my neighbors all went out of their way to fill me in on all the details only a regular would know, like Friday’s start late so there’s no sense in showing up early (as I did at 9am!). I definitely would’ve been lost without them!
  • Here’s a tip on Selling 101–don’t hold anything, EVER. Often times you only have 1 time to make a sale, so make it when you can.  I, unfortunately, had to learn this the hard way.

When I initially announced that I would be at Scott’s,  I wrote that this venture was fail proof and yet risky, and here’s what I originally meant:  it was risky, because there was upfront money (and ego) involved, but it was also fail proof because being in business for yourself means taking chances like this in an effort to grow.  All things being equal, I really feel like I came out on top. I learned that vending is hard work–setting up a booth, sitting there for 8 hours a day and then having to pack everything back up is no joke–probably not for me. Will I try my hand at Scott’s again? I’m not counting it out…but it won’t be next month! Special thanks to Sherry Hart, Claire WatkinsNiki McNeil, Sara Street Cook, Carla Schwartz, Tara, my girl Jenn who all came out to see me during my stint–your support was greatly appreciated!

15 Comments on Wrap Up: My Scott Antique Market Vendor Experience

1. Angela
    February 21, 2011 at 8:36 am (7 years ago)

What a good experience! My friend’s mom was a long time anitque vendor at our biggest market in town. I think it was more of a hobby for her more than anything even though she did pretty well from time to time. She was able to land some beautiful things for their home as well as her booth during estate sale hunts. I think watching her sparked something in me.

2. charm home
    February 21, 2011 at 8:46 am (7 years ago)

Sounds like it was hard work but still fun. Glad you were able to make the best of it. I hate that I didn’t make it out to see your booth…especially since it sounds like you probably won’t be doing it again. Thanks for sharing your great insider info though. -c

3. Savor Home
    February 21, 2011 at 9:04 am (7 years ago)

Sounds like you had a some fun and learned a lot! I wanted to come visit but busy season has arrived! I hope you are doing well!

4. Kristen
    February 21, 2011 at 9:40 am (7 years ago)

hey, at least you tried! i hate that i missed seeing your stuff, too!

5. Kim@Chattafabulous
    February 21, 2011 at 10:27 am (7 years ago)

Dayka, I thought of trying that myself. Thanks for sharing your experience – and you got paid with knowledge and growth!

6. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    February 21, 2011 at 10:35 am (7 years ago)

I am really proud of you. I am excited you were able to cross off this experience off your goal list for 2011. Maybe this time it was zero dollars, but what you have gained in the long run is certainly priceless. You have some really good elements in your booth and this is just a start of the amazing year you will have. You know Ray Ray has got your back when every you need help.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

7. Terry
    February 21, 2011 at 10:36 am (7 years ago)

I’m pleased to hear your story. As an occasional Scott’s spectator I had this sense of hard work in the setting up and breaking down. I’m amazed that the vendors are so nice. Now I see it as a marathon. The vendors pace themselves for the long haul, making connections and becoming known as a got-to vendor for certain tastes.

8. autumn
    February 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm (7 years ago)

well. i LOVE your honesty! sometimes things that seem like they will be easy money are the hardest. and i love that you learned to NEVER hold things! i bet you were mad as a hornet when people didn’ t come back! i know i would be…but what a great experience! plus, it rally makes you appreciate those vendors that do this week after week.

9. Loretta
    February 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm (7 years ago)

I’m glad that you gained the experience, it is more valuable than anything else. Lesson learned.

10. decorativity
    February 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm (7 years ago)

Very sweet and thoughtful post! I agree it’s good to put yourself out there and try new business ventures. They won’t all be ideal and sometimes it’s best to move on, but now you can know that you tried it and achieved a goal! Plus your stuff looked awesome 😉
    ~Carla

11. Stephanie Sabbe
    February 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm (7 years ago)

so much fun! your first image goes to prove, everything looks better in groups, even random old phones.

12. The Life of the Chous
    February 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm (7 years ago)

I wish I could have been there to see your booth! Do you have a place where you could show pictures of all the things that are still available for sale?

13. Dayka (Life +Style)
    February 22, 2011 at 1:19 am (7 years ago)

Thanks everyone for you positive & supportive feedback! The group consensus seems to be that the experience will be more valuable than the cash would’ve been, and I totally agree! I would much rather have a brick & mortar…

@life of the chorus: I do! Everything will be up in a new Etsy store soon. Email me for specific information.

14. P.S. I love this...
    February 22, 2011 at 5:40 am (7 years ago)

Sorry to hear things didn’t work out as you planned but aside from the lessons learned, you looked FABULOUS!!

15. Niki McNeill
    February 23, 2011 at 2:46 pm (7 years ago)

We were having a “plaid moment” huh? 🙂