Trash Day: Henredon Buffet

Tammy from In Stitches sent in this Henredon buffet for this week’s Trash Day feature.

It’s a Goodwill find for only $65! I love the extensive detail on this piece, and the fact that it looks so solid and heavy.  It’s even got a surprise on the inside . . .

Drawers!  These 6 drawers make it a great versatile piece for an office, bedroom, or dining room.

I especially love the center detailing for the hardware.  Here’s what I would do:

1.  Start with paint.
Black is normally my first choice (Onyx by Benjamin Moore is a nice, dark color), but a piece like this would look great in almost any color.  Since I know Tammy is specifically looking to use a yellow, I would suggest  any of these choices (assuming that Tammy’s decor matches) . . .

Ikea

This beautiful piece, from the ladies of All Things Thrifty, was actually done with  Krylon spray paint.  Love this color. (Added bonus, the detail is very similar to Tammy’s!)

Yellow Canary Lamp
These lamps are a brighter shade of yellow, but still a great choice for a pop of color.

I love bamboo in any color, but this yellow is especially nice.  Yellow pieces can definitely be done, the key is priming, finding the right shade, and committing to applying at least 2 coats before making a decision.

2. Change the hardware.
The current hardware makes the piece look a little too country, in my opinion.  The center detail is calling for a knob, so I would use something eye-catching, but simple, so that it doesn’t compete with the detailing on the panels.  Here are some I like . . .

Lucite via KnobsandHardware (only $2.27 each!)

Galaxy Knob, Anthropologie $14

Prism Knob, Anthropologie $10

And because I love a ring . . . .

Siro Knob, House of Knobs $5.31

3. Paper the front of the drawers.
These drawer fronts are calling for something special!

Damask and paisley are some of my favorites, but these are nice for a lighter choice, too.

Mikada Wallpaper, fabricsandpapers

Basic furniture makeovers like these are so much fun!  As long as you start with a solid, sturdy piece in a classic style, you really can’t go wrong, and the options are endless!

Thanks again to Tammy for sending this GW treasure!

Have you found a great piece that you’d like to share? Email me so I can feature it here!  Trash Day is all about highlighting your previously unwanted piece of second (or third or fourth) hand furniture, so send in your fabulous unfinished find.  One person’s trash can always be another person’s treasure–click the “Contact Me” link above to email me!

18 Comments on Trash Day: Henredon Buffet

1. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    April 7, 2010 at 9:55 am (7 years ago)

I love your suggestions. Yellow looks great paired with black and white. I could also see her piece in a creamy off white. Maybe the center detail could be painted a different color too. Paint will really highlight the beautiful detail of that piece.

2. Jesse
    April 7, 2010 at 11:34 am (7 years ago)

Oh what potential this piece has! I love all of your suggestions!

3. Averill
    April 7, 2010 at 11:35 am (7 years ago)

I really need to paper the drawer fronts of a similar breakfront I bought off ebay a few months ago — what would you suggest using as the adhesive?

4. Dayka (Life +Style)
    April 7, 2010 at 11:51 am (7 years ago)

I would suggest spray adhesive, if you can get by without it being too messy. Glue and mod podge work, but I’ve found that it can be hard to get all of the lumps and bubbles out when applying it first. If you want to make sure it’s hard, you can use a spray adhesive on the drawer, and then mod podge on top for protection.

5. Symone's Mommy
    April 7, 2010 at 11:54 am (7 years ago)

Dayka – this is a GREAT post! I needed those tips for that buffet I bought last year. I have been scared to start on it since it’s so big. I may post another pic of it and ask for suggestions. BTW, I checked out the Namesake last week, started reading it Sunday night!

6. L. Duncan
    April 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm (7 years ago)

Dayka you’re so smart! Loving your ideas and trash day! Hmmm… I’m going to send you a picture or two for trash day!

7. Tamstyles
    April 7, 2010 at 1:18 pm (7 years ago)

i love to see your creations…cant wait.

8. Tammy@InStitches
    April 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm (7 years ago)

I love all your ideas and I’ll be using them for sure ! Thanks for featuring it. I’m going to try to get to it this weekend and I’ll send you pics.

9. Dreams of Perfection
    April 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm (7 years ago)

I would def. say the yellow would be a banger! And I’m checking out the lucite knobs as we speak. I need them for my girl’s room to finally finish it! I couldn’t have done better on coming up with a way to get this project done.

10. Claire Watkins, ASID allied
    April 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm (7 years ago)

Ohhh-papering the fronts would look great! How fun would it be to open that lady up and POP! I think yellow would look great, too. I have a yellow painted dining table (u’ve seen it!) and chairs and I love them both. The color is so happy. Plus, if I ever get tired of it, I can just paint them again. My mom uses silver spray paint as a primer under light colors, haven’t tried it yet myself, but her finished pieces always look good. Wonder if anyone else does that. Anyway, hope you post Tammy’s finished product and I hope she takes your advice on the paper!

11. The Zhush
    April 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm (7 years ago)

Awesome! The last wallpaper is my Master Bath paper, only in a gray and white color way! 🙂

April 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm (7 years ago)

love the idea of going yellow, can;t go wrong there – love the yellow wallpaper ideas

13. pk @ Room Remix
    April 7, 2010 at 7:03 pm (7 years ago)

What a great piece for a makeover! I really like your suggestions and it will be fun to see what she does with it!

14. Full House
    April 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm (7 years ago)

now we HAVE to see the after pictures:-)

So fun.

15. My Notting Hill
    April 7, 2010 at 8:19 pm (7 years ago)

That was a terrific find! Love your color suggestion and the idea to paper the drawer fronts.

16. paula
    April 8, 2010 at 8:40 am (7 years ago)

wow, this will be stunning!

17. Henredon
    November 12, 2012 at 4:59 am (5 years ago)

Great picture and information on
    Henredon
    Buffet. Thanks for sharing.