What Did We Do Before Craigslist???

The idea of trolling the newspaper for yard sales and having to drive around to find what you’re looking for seems so archaic these days.  Don’t get me wrong, I still do it from time to time, but only when I’m in a mood to do the driving and okay with coming home empty handed.  I remember the days of circling the listings in the paper and figuring out the best ways to get from house to house, or better yet, driving around looking for signs like this.

yard sale

credit: Anthony Rosenberg
Of course it helps that I have one of these now.

Acura TL Navigation by jeremiah_owyang.

Still, I stopped by 3 sales this weekend and there was nothing but JUNK masquerading as “antiques”.  The thrill of a yard sale can be great, but nothing can beat searching for what you specifically need (and find it).  Thank God I found these on Craigslist last week.

Only the most perfect nightstands EVER.  When I called they were already promised to someone else, but the owner emailed the next day and told me that the woman came by and decided they were too big (silly girl!), so if I could come soon, they were mine!  How often does that happen??? Normally in this instance the people come, love the item, and you miss out.  I’ve been searching for the perfect nightstands for my bedroom for awhile and these are not only fabulous, but they’re vintage, one of a kind, and only $50.

They need a little prep work, but nothing more than a light sanding and a good cleaning.  They’re perfect for me because I definitely need at least one drawer, but I like the open shelving at the bottom, too.  They’re wider in the front, narrower in the back, and I love the clean, almost Zen detail on the feet.  My plans include black paint (definitely!), a hardware change (possibly) and some nailhead trim (maybe).

I don’t know if I love these or my gold lamps more.

22 Comments on What Did We Do Before Craigslist???

1. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    March 22, 2010 at 8:57 am (7 years ago)

Okay first, I haven’t been over here since you’re new look and I am LOVING it. Second, seriously great finds. I love the feet too! Looking forward to seeing them all done up.

2. charmaine
    March 22, 2010 at 10:21 am (7 years ago)

0ooh! Love those tables! Love the new look of your blog too.

3. Decor I Adore
    March 22, 2010 at 10:21 am (7 years ago)

OMG, those are amazing! Great find!

4. L. Duncan
    March 22, 2010 at 10:27 am (7 years ago)

First of all, let me say that I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! and if I say it again, maybe you’ll know how excited I am to see it so her goes….I. LOVE. YOUR. BLOG. DESIGN! Really I do! Great job.

Now, about those tables. I LOVE THOSE NIGHTSTANDS. Okay, maybe if I say again you’ll really know that I love them…I. LOVE. THOSE. NIGHTSTANDS!!!

Great job Dayka!

5. Design Esquire
    March 22, 2010 at 10:30 am (7 years ago)

The nightstands are perfect! What a great find, and I can’t believe the other person turned them down. I can’t wait to see what you do with them!

By the way – love the header and layout.

March 22, 2010 at 11:31 am (7 years ago)

I know what you mean yead sales are very hit and miss, I don’t search for them, just stop in if I see one! Great find our your nightstands, those are perfect…I like the size and shape and the one drawer

7. KSK
    March 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm (7 years ago)

Oooh, those were a great find! I’m loving all of your ideas. Where are you thinking about using nailhead trim? Can’t wait to see your handiwork!

8. Sherri @ Design2Shine
    March 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm (7 years ago)

SCORE! Can’t wait to see them finished and in their spot.

9. Miss Mustard Seed
    March 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm (7 years ago)

Those are very cool vintage pieces. I can’t wait to see what you do with them. I know they’ll look fab.

10. Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow
    March 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm (7 years ago)

This nightstands are perfect. I know you are going to give them a makeover that is to die for.
    P.S. Love the new blog design!

11. Dreams of Perfection
    March 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm (7 years ago)

I love your new blog design!! Talk about extreme freshness!!! And those table are freakin glam fabulous! Dang you got a deal on them. Whoever passed them up needs a swift kick.

12. Destination Seaborn
    March 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm (7 years ago)

Your new blog design looks great! I really love those nightstands. They’re awesome! Have a good week! Lisa

13. Champagne Taste
    March 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm (7 years ago)

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE NEW BLOG! I don’t even bother with yard sales LOL I got super excited passing my moms thinking a home in her neighborhood was doing som SPRING CLEANING which means SPRING SELLING but their yard was just cluttered as hell lol SMH!

14. Jesse
    March 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm (7 years ago)

Those are fantastic tables!! Love their shape!!

15. Sarah Esther
    March 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm (7 years ago)

gotta love some Craigslist!!

i’m still trying to convince my friends that it’s a perfectly legit place to find treasure.

can’t wait to see what you do to these stands!

16. alissa
    March 22, 2010 at 7:25 pm (7 years ago)

Dayka – Those nightstands are AMAZING! I can’t wait to see what you do to them!

P.S. – Love the new look of your blog – it looks great!

17. Mel
    March 22, 2010 at 8:28 pm (7 years ago)

Gorgeous night stands. I’m happy that they went to a home that adores them.

18. nameisgrace
    March 23, 2010 at 12:21 am (7 years ago)

those tables are awesome! what a great find. i can’t wait to see what you do with them. thanks so much for your sweet comment. i would love to be a part of your trash day post! feel free to use any pics you see on my blog.

ps. i am in love with your blog header and your blog!!!

19. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    March 23, 2010 at 1:05 pm (7 years ago)

So true! It seems like people don’t even sell furniture at garage sales… it’s all on Craigslist.

Also, those nightstands ARE amazing!!

20. Full House
    March 24, 2010 at 9:45 am (7 years ago)

Yes you better be keeping those for yourself…love em!