L.L. Bean

For my birthday, one of my best friends gave me a gift card to L.L. Bean (thanks Raquel & Jeff!!).  Of course I decided to use it to get one of their famous boat & tote bags–a nearly indestructible bag made of water-resistant canvas, originally designed to haul ice over 65 years ago.

Boat and Tote Bag, Open-Top

It should go without saying that this is not me, and my bag won’t be periwinkle (try black & monogrammed), but just in case, there’s the disclaimer.  πŸ™‚   While debating whether to go with the large or extra-large, I started reading the reviews (I’m all about reviews, all the time), and found that people really go crazy about these bags!!  Some of the reviewers said they’d  had their bags for over 20 years and had actually passed them down to family members–wow.  I’ve always loved them, but I was completely  unaware of their apparent cult-like status.  When describing the differences between the two sizes, the first comparison thought that popped into my mind  was . . .  AN ESPRIT BAG–hello!!  I hope I’m not throwing myself out here and no one else knows what I’m talking about, but they were all the rage in elementary/middle school.
No images

Remember this?  Was it just a California thing or what??  I mean, it really felt like you were a nobody if you weren’t rocking an Esprit bag, and now I bet you’d have to do a bit of searching to find one anywhere.  Looking at this bag reminds tetherball and Honey Crackin’ Oats cereal–ah, the good ol’ days.

NAPOLEON - TETHERBALL CHAMP FIGURE

Do any of you have a Boat & Tote?  Do you love it or what???

15 Comments on L.L. Bean

1. Turner Pack Rats
    March 4, 2010 at 1:50 am (7 years ago)

having worked for the beanery for several years, i can tell you that you will hand the bag down in your will. they are indestructible. also, its only one of three products sold by llbean that is still made in this country in the clothing and accessories line. also, the XL bag is big enough to use as a crib. if you want a bag to carry comfortably – get the large. the XL is for ferrying groceries out to your island house on the sailboat. its a monster. if you get it, don’t fill it with rocks and expect to walk away with it.

2. Dayka (Life +Style)
    March 4, 2010 at 2:11 am (7 years ago)

you mush have heard my silent cry!! i was so confused about which one to get that i stood in front of a mirror with a box held by yarn trying to decide. glad to see i picked the right one. thanks for your input!!

3. Adrianna
    March 4, 2010 at 2:12 am (7 years ago)

I had heard about these bags. I’ve never had one. Now I’m curious. Black & monogrammed sounds so sleek and polished. And tetherball…We have a tetherball set we are putting in this spring. Love me some tetherball :o)

4. Dayka (Life +Style)
    March 4, 2010 at 2:21 am (7 years ago)

I’m heading up to TN to play, and to steal some chairs from your basement. πŸ™‚

5. Terry
    March 4, 2010 at 2:28 am (7 years ago)

I used our Bean bag on Sunday. I’m guessing we bought it in 1975. I think we’re going to be buried with it along with our favorite laser printer.

6. Adrianna
    March 4, 2010 at 2:33 am (7 years ago)

All right now! We might just have to start a traveling tetherball team! Lmbo, I loved paying it. And we are FINALLY getting stuff out of there. The poly I used on both. I had to wait a full day before wiping the lamps down b/c it was thinning the not fully dried paint. Have you tried poly on lamps yet?

7. Emily
    March 4, 2010 at 10:38 am (7 years ago)

Hi Dayka! I love your blog, thanks for stopping by mine the other day and leaving such nice comments. I wanted to chime in here I have (I think it’s the extra large bag – for the beach and picnics and the medium bag) I love them both! It’s a GREAT decision to buy them! What a nice gift. πŸ™‚

8. Katie@Yoga Gal
    March 4, 2010 at 11:13 am (7 years ago)

I did not have the Esprit tote but I did have a tee!

And I also have a boat and tote. You will love it. Mine is five years old- no wear and tear. Mine if cayenne, brown, and green- with the monogram, natch!

9. momofcmhl
    March 4, 2010 at 12:05 pm (7 years ago)

I still have my Esprit bag from middle school! I use it for a library bag. Mine is pale yellow and I had colored in each letter in Esprit with a different color. Very cool!

March 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm (7 years ago)

LOL – I grew up in CA – Gottta love Esprit!

11. Claire Watkins, ASID allied
    March 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm (7 years ago)

Don’t get the XL! I bought 3 XL black and white LL Bean totes to use as grocery bags a few years ago and while they are awesome and so stylish, THEY ARE HUGE. I mean, I often use one as a laundry basket. On the other hand, they are big enough to hold everything, provided you can pick them up. And yeah I can see people loving the old ones. My mom has a set of red and white bags she has since we were little and now the side are soft from all the washing and the colors are faded, they look cooler than mine.
    πŸ˜‰

12. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    March 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm (7 years ago)

I still use the one that I received as a Christmas gift as a teenager (yes, it has my name monogrammed on it)!

13. LAKEITHA
    March 5, 2010 at 11:49 pm (7 years ago)

Hmmm, being the mother of three boys, I may need to pick 1 (or two) of these up myself! I’ll wait to see how big yours is in the mean time:}

14. carlee
    March 9, 2010 at 8:57 am (7 years ago)

I love my LL Bean bag! Aren’t they fab? You can fit a ton into them too!