What’s On My Table . . .

Taco night!!! This is actually the second photo, since the first one didn’t look so appetizing on film ( I learned my lesson from the last food photo–presentation counts!). Anyhow, tacos were going down last night. I normally make them with turkey, since it’s healthier, and I buy an individually wrapped 4 lb. pack from Costco, so it’s easy to pull a pound out to thaw for whatever I’m cooking. I love tacos because they remind me of home and they’re SUPER easy to make. Just add a packet of taco seasoning to a (cooked) pound of meat (shredded chicken, ground turkey, or beef), and serve in shells topped with cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and any other topping of your choice (onions, avocados, or fresh guacamole–just PLEASE don’t add ketchup because then you’re not making a taco but modified sloppy joe). Simple, right? I’ve never tried them with the Morningstar Veggie Ground Beef (it may not be called exactly that), but I have had the product before and I’m sure it would be just as good. I also make the shells, because I can’t imagine eating those pre-made ones off the shelf, especially since the fresh ones are so easy! Just fry in a little bit of oil, and you’re good to go. To make this a full meal, you can also serve refried beans and/or spanish rice, but for me, the tacos alone are enough. If you happen to try them, or have had them before, let me know what you think!

11 Comments on What’s On My Table . . .

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm (8 years ago)

I love tacos….hmmm maybe that’s what’s for dinner tonight! I spy a Thomas O’brian plate from Target! Am I correct?!?!

2. Dayka
    November 12, 2009 at 3:05 pm (8 years ago)

How smart you are! Yes, they are the TOB plates. I wanted them so bad, and now I’m over them. Crazy, right?

3. Deanna Jackson
    November 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm (8 years ago)

Tacos are my specialty. They are definitely in heavy rotation in our home! Tasty yet so easy to make!!

November 12, 2009 at 6:25 pm (8 years ago)

Yummy tacos 🙂

5. Jesse
    November 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm (8 years ago)

We must have been on the same brain wave, we had mexican last night too. Those look so yummy!

6. Sherri S
    November 13, 2009 at 8:03 am (8 years ago)

We had taco’s this week too. Oh and I NEED to come to YOUR Dollar Tree. Mine is a SMALL one. I live about 45 minutes west of ATL actually. I am loving your blog. You’ve completed some AWESOME projects and your kitchen/dining area is AMAZING!

7. Struggler
    November 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm (8 years ago)

Oh, now I’m embarrassed; I’ve never tackled tacos. I think, spending so many years in the UK, Mexican food just isn’t as big there. Can I ask a very basic question and ask if they’re impossibly messy to eat? Not that that’s a show-stopper, I’m just curious!
    (Will subscribe to read follow-up comments here).

8. Dayka
    November 14, 2009 at 12:38 am (8 years ago)

Sorry for the delay–I quickly posted your comment and then ran out to the movies! So the tacos can be messy, but they’re OH SO GOOD! I like to leave a small bit of juice (a more appetizing term for the drained fat) in the pan when I add the taco seasoning and water. I mean a VERY small amount, but I like the meat to have a bit of juice to it. How messy they get really depends on how hard the shell is fried. If they’re fried hard and break easily, it will be a bigger mess, but clean up is super easy. Of course you lick your plate clean (just kidding), and all of the toppings can be cut and put in resealable storage/baggies/whatever, so assembly/clean up is a cinch. Let me know if you ever try them, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

9. Struggler
    November 19, 2009 at 5:46 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, Dayka, great to know. Sounds like a great dish to order in a (casual) restaurant in case there is a bit of collateral damage!
    Fear not, I will tip well 🙂

10. caramelnaps25
    March 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm (7 years ago)

Uhm I cook tacos alot, but have never made my own shells. Well you know I am gonna have to up the anty and make the fam feel like I’ve really done something, lol! Fish tacos are great as well!