Sneak Peak . . .

I’m working on my dining room, trying to get my redo together before Christmas arrives (family, too), and decided to give you a sneak peak of what’s going on.

I bought these chairs at a thrift store a few weeks back for CHEAP–I paid $5.99 for 2 chairs, and $2.50 for the other 2. If you’re wondering about the price difference it’s because I quickly bought the 2 I could fit in my car without a second thought, and then I saw the other two and realized they were not in as good of condition. The veneer was seriously coming off of one, and the other wasn’t in the greatest structural condition. I sat at the store for 30 minutes debating on whether to get the other two, and then decided to sleep on it. I woke up early the next morning and decided that I would just have to use some elbow grease and get it done, because the chairs have great lines, and I’ve been wanting to get rid of the ones that came with my table. And of course, you can’t beat the price, either! When I got to the store the other 2 were marked down to $2.50, so I took it as a sign from God and threw them in the back of my car. Here’s a closer look:
I previously picked out several swatches of fabric for chairs that I bought earlier in the year, and have narrowed it down to these 3, but I’m pretty sure I know which one I’m going to use.
I’ve had the chairs in my DR forever, trying to get used to the new look and feel, since the chairs I have now have a much higher back and are very cushiony on the bottom. I also got used to the darker color, because I was shocked when I finally started spraying. I wanted to go for a lighter look, but I’ve been afraid of everything looking crazy. I knew white was “too white” for the fabric, and the black just wasn’t it. So I ventured to the holy grail of spray painting . . . .”Heirloom White.” OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!! It’s the perfect off-white–creamy, but not too much cream, ivory, but not yellow. Ahhhhh, it’s just what I was looking for. This wonderful world of blogging is an amazing thing. I never even knew this color existed until I ran across some of your projects–can you imagine how awful this would’ve been if I would’ve used a pure white? Ew. Anyway, after primer and paint . . .
Sorry that it looks a bit white here, but it’s Heirloom. Look . . . (and it’s okay to be mad that my house is periwinkle. I’m mad, too, but I bought it like this.)
Stay tuned! And please check out my other post and let me know how you think I should best handle the hardware on the front and feet of the chair. Can I spray them and then apply tape, or will the tape take the paint off?

18 Comments on Sneak Peak . . .

1. Danielle @ Transforming Home
    November 20, 2009 at 11:59 am (7 years ago)

We must be psychic with each other! How funny…
    Love, love, love those chairs! Wouldn’t they look great in my dining room? – just kidding. Unless you want to bring them to me!
    Hope you have a great weekend!

Danielle

November 20, 2009 at 12:30 pm (7 years ago)

Ok, so I just took a quick look dining room, or do you have two? BTW I love your artwork in your dining room (kitchen area)

Based on those colors and the red sidebroad, I’m leaning towards the goelden color, I could also see limey/yellowish fabric on your cahirs. What a steal on those chairs!

3. Dayka
    November 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm (7 years ago)

That’s actually my eat-in kitchen. Haven’t posted the dining room yet, but soon!

November 20, 2009 at 2:02 pm (7 years ago)

Ok, I was thinking I really like her eat in kithcen chairs!! Why is she changing them – lol

5. Struggler
    November 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm (7 years ago)

You’re right, they have great lines. They’re going to look so fab when done – make sure you submit them to all the ‘show off’ type blogs!

6. Sherri @ Design2Shine
    November 20, 2009 at 3:01 pm (7 years ago)

I LOVE heirloom white! Using it on anything I spray white these days. That is a GREAT deal on the chairs. Can’t wait to see it all pulled together. I’ve got a BUSY weekend bc my family is doing Thanksgiving at MY house (Christmas at my sisters). So I have several projects to finish up! INCLUDING I want to get my tree up the day after Thanksgiving and I’m MAKING all the stuff to go on it. YIKES! Wish I was off work today. It’s BEAUTIFUL outside.

7. Adrianna
    November 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm (7 years ago)

Those chairs were a steal! And I too love heirloom white (the color I sparay painted the little girls headboards) but can’t seem to find the color in the stores here any more :o( I thought all three fabric swatches were beautiful, so it wouldn’t have mattered which one you picked.

8. Dayka
    November 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm (7 years ago)

Girl, no. I got those chairs from the same spot, and love them. Now that I’m more adventurous and have a better idea of what I like, I do want to recover them, though. I like you’re keen eye!

9. Dayka
    November 20, 2009 at 8:35 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks! I always forget about that stuff, and then I see someone else’s link and think, “man, I should’ve posted my stuff!” I need to keep a list of the different show-off sites so I know when to post what on which day.

10. Dayka
    November 20, 2009 at 8:40 pm (7 years ago)

Wow-making the stuff to go on the tree?? I wouldn’t dare! But I will be putting up my tree as soon as the evening hits!

11. Dayka
    November 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm (7 years ago)

I just realized that all of my comments would be back to back since I just approved all of your comments! Adrianna, Lakeitha told me it’s hard to find at the big home improvement stores, so check Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, and Jo-Ann’s.

12. Symone's Mommy
    November 20, 2009 at 11:55 pm (7 years ago)

I would have talked about you BAD if you hadn’t bought those chairs. Like that you posted while in progress. As you know, everything I do is in progress LOL

13. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 21, 2009 at 12:21 am (7 years ago)

I could have swore I commented on this post…hmmm something’s fishy around here! But anywho, I love those chairs! And that fabric…LOVE!!! I like the blue so shoot me a text and tell me where you found it. Hey, do I sound cool or lame?!?!

14. thelennoxx
    November 21, 2009 at 2:52 pm (7 years ago)

Super nice chairs! Very clean and simple lines. Cant wait for this project to be complete, this will look good for sure!

15. The DIY Show Off
    November 21, 2009 at 11:46 pm (7 years ago)

Lucky lucky you! The chairs are great! And I know they’re going to look fabulous! Love them in white. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for chairs too. No luck yet. I can’t wait to see what you’re up to!

Hope you’re enjoying the weekend! 🙂

Roeshel

16. Tamstyles
    November 25, 2009 at 2:18 am (7 years ago)

i love the color…who makes the brand of paint? i must find..

17. Brooke
    December 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm (7 years ago)

EXCUSE ME MISS!! I am contacting AJC again! uggghhh they need to feature you! yes U!!!! Martha Stewart take a seat Hon……Dayka is in the BUILDING!
    You are so creative. Where do you get your talent?!

18. Decor I Adore
    March 21, 2010 at 8:47 pm (7 years ago)

I’m trying to get caught up with all your posts and am so excited to see what you’ll be doing with these chairs!