Internet Dating & Shopping

I went on an internet date this weekend. Weeeellllllll . . . . . kind of, but not the sort of date you’re thinking of. After much emailing back and forth, Saturday I went to have lunch (& shop) with Lakeitha of Home to Three Duncan Boys down at Atlantic Station. After our initial meet and greet, we settled down to chat and I told her I felt like I was preparing for an internet date, which technically it was! We were both a bit nervous, because you never know who you’re really meeting in those type of situations. I watch a lot of Law & Order, Crime 360, & Dateline, so I was telling her that I started getting worried that maybe she would actually be a man perpetrating as a woman to set me up in someway. Of course, you’re probably wondering how that would ever happen since her photo and that of her beautiful family are all over her blog, but what can I say, my mind goes crazy sometimes!! So we chatted, ate (she watched me eat 2 scoops of that DELICIOUS Kilwin’s ice cream while “Miss Vanilla” politely declined!), and looked in a few stores before really getting down to business. We got along so well that we ditched our “safe plan” (IKEA, so that if it wasn’t flowing we could just split) and I even let her in on 2 my PRIZED shopping secrets!!! I’m pretty sure we’re going to be friends, but I’ll have to double check her blog today to find out (omg, what it she writes that she hated me on Saturday?????? Awwwwkkkkwaarrrrrrddddd.) Can you believe we didn’t take ANY photos together?? I’m kicking myself as I write this, but by the time she mentioned it, we were sitting in the parking lot of an almost vacant thrift store after closing hours, discussing hair products. The workers were leaving and didn’t look like they wanted to be bothered, so we had to go without this time. Since we have not seen the last of each other, I’ll make sure to take care of you on the next go ’round. So while we looked in West Elm (her first trip!), I spied this cute table setting:

I like it because it says “holiday” without being to “theme-y” and over the top. I saw a few other great new finds, but I was too busy enjoying my ice cream to put my cup down and pull out my camera. I was only able to take this one because I was juuuuuuuuusssssstttt finishing the last drop. Did I mention it was good???? 🙂
LOVE THIS LAMP!!! We found this at Z Gallerie and it’s such a stunner! It’s totally worth worth the $250 price tag, but I’d much rather have these boots I found at Nine West later that night. They’re Boutique 9 and currently 30% off, so maybe I could take the extra $25 and try to find a thrift store look alike . . . . . (I know, fat chance, but it’s a thought).
Want a better look?

Fortunato $325.00
Views Main | Front | Back
Fortunato
I don’t appreciate the fact that they look so awful online! They don’t look earth-shattering from these photos (the leather does NOT look this cheap and bad in real life), but when you see them on my feet, you’ll be dying to know where I got them from. And I will take photos. And I’ll keep them forever.

I was so happy that I had a good time and we seemed to get along so well. It was fun to finally have someone to thrift store shop with!!! None of my friends are really the thrift store type, so I’m normally by myself when I’m out on the prowl. Now that I have someone to roll with, she can teach me about estate sales and north Atlanta, and I’ll show her the hidden treasures of our great city!! Thanks Lakeitha for a great time!!! (next time we’ll have real photos!)

16 Comments on Internet Dating & Shopping

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 16, 2009 at 11:25 am (8 years ago)

Oh Dayka…I’m blushing! I had a great time too! I can’t wait to meet up again. I had so much fun and girl after we left each other I REALLY wanted my food! Can you believe that I don’t know how to get back to that first thrift store on Monroe?!?! So I guess you’ll have to show me again. And I see that you went shopping after you left me….great just great! You went shopping and I went home to play catch up with my boys!!! But those boots are SUPER HOT:)

November 16, 2009 at 12:22 pm (8 years ago)

Sounds like a fun day…I love shopping trips with friends! Great boots 🙂

3. Symone's Mommy
    November 16, 2009 at 1:24 pm (8 years ago)

I’m jealous! How wonderful that you two got to hook up! There are nice people left in this world. Always good to find a new girlfriend. Next time…take pics! 😀

4. pk
    November 16, 2009 at 6:41 pm (8 years ago)

How fun that the two of you got to meet and that it turned out to be a fun time. Love the West Elm tablescape too!

pk @ Room Remix

5. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    November 16, 2009 at 8:05 pm (8 years ago)

I want to meet and chat and go thrifting and watch you eat ice cream too! Count me as another jealous one :). So glad you two hit it off and had a great girl date!

6. Dayka
    November 16, 2009 at 9:46 pm (8 years ago)

Lakeitha-you let my secret out!!!!!!!!!! What did I tell you?????????????? I can hear you saying “great, just great”–too funny. I went to Lenox right before closing to see my stylist.

It was fun to meet, especially considering how crazy people can be. Beth, if I’m ever in your neck of the woods I WILL get in touch!

7. Annette
    November 16, 2009 at 11:12 pm (8 years ago)

How cool! It is so great that you two hit it off. I love that blogging allows you to meet people with similiar interests that you may have never had the opportunity to meet under other circumstances.

8. deannajackson70
    November 16, 2009 at 11:23 pm (8 years ago)

So glad you guys hit it off and had a great time…Look how friends are forming from this thing called blogging!! The boots are HOT!!!

9. Symone's Mommy
    November 16, 2009 at 11:25 pm (8 years ago)

Dayka, you should still do your post on Adrianna. You have more followers than me and I’m sure she’d appreciate it.

10. Katie
    November 17, 2009 at 2:49 am (8 years ago)

love the blog, girl! 🙂

11. Tamstyles
    November 17, 2009 at 3:06 am (8 years ago)

i am wayyyyyy jelly!

12. Sherri S
    November 17, 2009 at 8:06 am (8 years ago)

Sounds like ya’ll had a blast. Now I’m only an hour out and ALWAYS up for a Thrift store adventure. 😉

13. Adrianna
    November 17, 2009 at 2:48 pm (8 years ago)

Sounds like you guys clicked right away! I bet you two will become best shopping buddies too, we all need one. And when you put awkward I could just here it in my head, lol. The boots are to die for. Talk about showstoppers. Fresh to death, we’d be at funerals cuz you’d be killin them.

14. Struggler
    November 17, 2009 at 9:11 pm (8 years ago)

You weren’t at all daft to consider your personal safety, but I am pleased it all worked out so well! Having a buddy to snuffle round these stores with is very cool, and if there was ice cream involved, even better!

15. Brooke
    November 19, 2009 at 12:04 am (8 years ago)

I wanna go next time! Internet dating is the best! lol. Glad to know that you two had a great time! Pick me up the next time around! I am jelly! So jelly! haha

16. The DIY Show Off
    November 19, 2009 at 12:33 am (8 years ago)

Aw! I’ve never met another blogger! Lakeitha is so sweet and so are you – it’s no wonder you became friends in real life so easily!

What a fun day!