Did You Know????

While cooking my tacos I noticed this bottle of vinegar sitting beside the stove and began to read the label. Did you know white vinegar had so many uses??? I definitely didn’t. This stuff is like a household cure-all, and though I originally got it to clean some brass, I don’t think you’ll catch me without it again. Listen to some of the uses:

-Steep with fresh herbs or fruit to make flavored vinegars
-Add a splash to the water when boiling eggs to keep cracked eggs from boiling out of the shell
-Substitute 1 tablespoon per egg in cake recipes if allergic to eggs (I did not know about this! Vinegar for egg? Crazy!)
-Add to crab or shrimp boils for extra flavor
-Vinegar-soaked paper towels wrapped around bath fixtures dissolves stubborn scum in approximately 2 hours
-2 cups of white vinegar in the wash help restore fluffiness to blankets
-Vinegar rubbed lightly on washables before laundering helps eliminate deodorant stains (Oprah’s people need to know this one!)

I’m a bit afraid of how the vinegar will make the blankets smell, but if anyone has ever tried this, let me know your thoughts. I’m sure vinegar has many more uses, as well–do any of you use vinegar in unconventional cleaning/cooking ways? If so, I’d love to hear about them.
**I have been trying to get a water stain of some glass, and I’ve tried the vinegar/dishwashing liquid thing. Anyone have any suggestions about what I could do?

10 Comments on Did You Know????

1. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    November 13, 2009 at 9:43 am (7 years ago)

These are some great tips! I use it to clean my stainless steel appliances instead of mineral oil. It works well.

November 13, 2009 at 12:44 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, its cool it has so many uses.

3. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    November 13, 2009 at 4:32 pm (7 years ago)

I sprayed it on the carpets when my dog would pee on them… when it evaporates, the smell goes with it! It also made my life ten times easier when I scraped the popcorn ceiling in my house. I finally realized that it was magic when I needed to get a price sticker off of a mirror and randomly tried using vinegar to remove the sticky part- it worked perfectly!

4. Deanna Jackson
    November 13, 2009 at 5:33 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you for the vinegar tips…we learn something new everyday!!

5. Adrianna
    November 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm (7 years ago)

Great tips! I’m already going to put one of the tips ti use tonight. I use my vinegar to clean the toilets since we have hard water here. I pour it in at night and flush in the morning. Maybe you can soak you glasses in water w/ vinegar and rinse in the morning. Might work.

6. christi
    November 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm (7 years ago)

it is a great thing to have around the house. i started buying the giant one because i use it all the time!

7. Tamstyles
    November 15, 2009 at 10:57 am (7 years ago)

wow i didnt know these things either. thanks for sharing…oh and i am not 100% sure where its (light fixture)going but i think either the guest bath or my daughters room..i need to see it first in person and see how much light it gives off.

8. Symone's Mommy
    November 16, 2009 at 1:31 am (7 years ago)

Great post. I knew it was good for cleaning…now, as an egg substitute, hmmph. How ’bout, you try and tell me about it 🙂

9. Symone's Mommy
    November 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm (7 years ago)

Dayka, re: your comment on my latest post, do you still have the pic or the link to the picture by Bob Gold/Mitchell Williams of the tone on tone curtains?