PROJECT MASTER BATHROOM: BEFORE & AFTER

_MG_0284Now THIS is the kind of space where a proper lady (like myself) should be pulling herself together every morning to go out and run the world. It took much longer than what I had planned–doesn’t it always happen like that??–but it’s finally done (well, 80%) and to say that I’m happy would be an understatement!

_MG_0297Here’s the thing: this is much more than just a bathroom to me because of what it represents. It’s a very tangible symbol of just how much my life has changed over the 9 years I’ve lived in this house. Yes, the bathroom has changed physically (see the before pics here) but more importantly, I have changed along with it.

I’ve loved here. Established my faith here. Grown up here. Created a business here. Experienced some challenging times here. Housed 9 years of my dreams & heartaches here. And this is the place that gave me the encouragement to boldly enter into this next phase of my life. Right here in this little house.

This being said, it should come as no surprise to you that when I turned off the lights and slid my body into that soaking tub for the very first time, I sat in the silence and cried by candlelight. Cried because I was so grateful that in that exact moment, there was no place that I would’ve rather been.

_MG_0250I still remember how excitedly I used to talk about what it would be like to do my bathroom back when I first closed on this house, not imagining that it would take so many years to get it done. And that there would come a time where I wasn’t sure if I would still BE in this house, let alone renovate the Master Bathroom. Not knowing the journey that 9 years of living had in store for me and who I would emerge to become. So while you may look at it and see a  bathroom Before & After with some beautiful herringbone subway tile and a breathtaking custom shower curtain, know that I do too….but I see the before & after of my life as well. ‘Cause keep in mind, a lot of shit can happen between 25 and 36, y’all. A lot.

_MG_0313_MG_0245 _MG_0254Now on to the nitty gritty.

This isn’t the easiest bathroom to photograph due to the natural light/no light/layout combination, but this at least gives you an idea of what my neighbors refer to as the “big renovation” (lol). Truth be told, this was a SERIOUS BUDGET (under $3k) reno and I say it’s 80% done because it’s still missing one of the major pieces–wallpaper! I went back and forth on that detail because I really wanted to paint the ceilings black but the lack of natural light in the vanity area made it a less than stellar idea, so I prepped & primed in preparation for wall covering. What’s going on those walls? I don’t know just yet but I DO know that it will be a small scale pattern for sure.

I kept the original vanity for cost-saving purposes, demolished the toe kick, raised it off of the floor and added a new butcher block countertop to finish it off (I’m talking like I did all of this myself but we both know that I didn’t). The mirror is an old vintage find and the hardware, towel bar and coat hook (that I’m using for my necklaces!) all came from Anthropologie.

What really makes this reno sing? The custom shower curtain (always splurge on that!), the herringbone subway tile in the shower, and the Brushed Bronze shower & tub fixtures by Brizo, from Build.com. I went back and forth on this detail, wondering if it was worth the expense and in the end I am SOOOOOOO glad I pulled the trigger! I’m still obsessed with brass (as you’ve seen) and the warm bronze finish is the perfect compliment to the rest of the space (and the TBD wallpaper). Working with the people from Build.com made the experience easy & painless and I was so impressed with the product (AND the pricing!) from Build.com that I actually ordered my vessel sink and vanity light fixture from there too. Somehow I was out of the loop that this place is a designer’s best kept secret!

So there you have it–Part I of my Master Bathroom mini renovation! No more cheating snippets on Instagram…..I promise (well, until the wallpaper arrives…). 😉

**Oh, and you may notice that things look a little different around here! I finally switched over from Blogger to WordPress last weekend and while I’ve got a lot of stuff up and running, everything isn’t quiiiiiiitttte as it should be. But I’m working on it. In the meantime, please view my updated menu content and let me know your thoughts!**

32 Comments on PROJECT MASTER BATHROOM: BEFORE & AFTER

1. Lakeitha
    April 17, 2015 at 8:40 am (2 years ago)

First off, let’s gush about how fabulous this bathroom is!!! Love it, Dayka!

Now, I know the feeling you have right now, or when you were in your tub. I actually have a similar story. When we purchased our truck a few years back, my husband said it was for me for our boys. I was headed to my moms house the same day we brought it home and on the way there, I literally broke down crying. I was alone in the truck and I just felt this overwhelming flood of emotions. It wasn’t because it was my first car. In fact, it was more like our 7th car (between the 2 of us), but this one just felt different. All I could think about was the times I had to catch the bus when I lived in a very bad area of Atlanta and how scared I was. How growing up, my mom didn’t get her first car until her oldest child (me) was in high school. How I would catch cabs home from work because I was too scared because of the time of night… All of those feelings/memories just came over me out of nowhere at that very moment. And yes, it was a brand new beautiful truck that I was sitting in and that I was able to call mine, those tears had nothing to do with that.

Anyway, enjoy your new fabulous bath! And between that morror, the shower curtain, and the tile, I don’t know which one gives me more life! AND under $3000?!?! You’re the real MVP!

• DaykaRobinson
      April 17, 2015 at 9:52 am (2 years ago)

YESSS!!!! It’s an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and a reminder of just how far I’ve come…and how my life is so much different than the one I imagined myself to be living when I bought this house so many years ago. Thanks for sharing your story–it is EXACTLY what I”m talking about!

D

2. Micheline
    April 17, 2015 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

I love the bathroom, I mean from the tile work in the bathroom to the fixtures and the beatific curtain that gives it that punch, I can’t stop drooling. Thank you for giving me hope for my bathroom. Then the icing on the cake only 3 grand. We don’t have any natural light going in mines as well and later on this year I was gonna look for a reliable contractor to redo the bathroom and add a window ….. so hopefully it’s not over 5k lol

• DaykaRobinson
      April 17, 2015 at 12:18 pm (2 years ago)

Micheline-

Thank you! Yes–having natural light is definitely a “must” in a bathroom so make sure you get a nice big one! It will be SO much cheaper to do it now versus trying to do it later. My advice? If you find yourself going back and forth about an aspect of the reno (like a high end window vs. more inexpensive option) get what you want. We always say we’ll do something later but that rarely happens! In my case, I actually had a 60 sq ft closet added to my bathroom (you don’t see it in the pics, but it’s behind the shower niche) when we opened the wall and found a ton of extra space in there. I hadn’t planned on the additional costs (drywall, electrical, tile, etc.) but it was SO worth it in the end. Best of luck with your renovation!

With gratitude,
      d

3. Michelle
    April 17, 2015 at 11:45 pm (2 years ago)

Dayka, it’s beautiful and Congratulations on your spread in Essence Mag.

• DaykaRobinson
      April 18, 2015 at 1:26 am (2 years ago)

Michelle-

Thank you for the heads up–I didn’t realize it was out yet!!!! Thank you for the compliment, too….I’m excited to have it (mostly) done! Best believe I’ll be off to the bookstore in the morning! 😉

4. Anjanette
    April 22, 2015 at 9:24 pm (2 years ago)

Dayka, the bathroom looks fabulous. And I really enjoyed the article. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Every time I’m contemplating a particular direction in my own life, you seem to post an article to remind me that “all is well”. We must schedule our lunch date!

• DaykaRobinson
      April 22, 2015 at 9:47 pm (2 years ago)

Anjanette-

Thank you! It has seriously been my dream to have a bathtub that will soak my WHOLE body so I’ve been in heaven! I’m glad that our lives are lining up in such a way that we speak even when we DON’T speak. Indeed, all IS well…this I know for sure. 😉 And I’m absolutely, positively looking forward to lunch. My info is still the same, just tell me when you’re ready!

Safe travels!
      D

5. Tonya
    April 23, 2015 at 8:10 pm (2 years ago)

You are so talented! That compliment doesn’t even do justice to your ability. I am going to thoroughly enjoy watching all the good things that happen next!

• DaykaRobinson
      April 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm (2 years ago)

Tonya-

Thank you! Truth be told…I’m enjoying it, too. 😉 This road has had some wonderfully unexpected surprises around many a corner and I’m looking forward to seeing how things continue to unfold for me–it’s been more than I could’ve imagined. I appreciate your compliment so much!

Xo,
      D

6. Brian Patrick Flynn
    April 24, 2015 at 8:37 pm (2 years ago)

So good! Shower emoji. Bathtub emoji. Thumbs up emoji.

• DaykaRobinson
      April 24, 2015 at 9:15 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, Pat! 😉

7. Erin
    January 14, 2016 at 8:35 am (1 year ago)

Holy crap. That tile and shower curtain are the bomb!

• DaykaRobinson
      January 14, 2016 at 12:11 pm (1 year ago)

Erin:

NO.THING takes the place of a custom shower curtain….nothing! They hang so beautifully!

Thank you!

Xo,
      D

8. Holly
    February 5, 2016 at 11:40 am (1 year ago)

Can you share where the shower curtain rod is from?

• DaykaRobinson
      February 14, 2016 at 3:52 pm (1 year ago)

Hey Holly–it’s from Bed, Bath & Beyond and it’s actually a drapery rod I repurposed as a shower curtain!

9. Harlene Kay
    February 8, 2016 at 8:19 pm (1 year ago)

HI,

Great job on your beautiful bathroom! I’m loving all the brass also! Where did you get that shower curtain rod?

• DaykaRobinson
      February 14, 2016 at 3:51 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! Bed, Bath & Beyond!

10. Deborah Cooke
    February 23, 2016 at 4:05 am (1 year ago)

Dayka, completely gorgeous. Could I ask where you get custom shower curtains made … I’ve never seen one before but am completely enraptured! Thanks

• DaykaRobinson
      February 24, 2016 at 1:26 am (1 year ago)

Thank you Deborah! I have a workroom I use to make all of my custom textile but they are To The Trade only!

Xo,
      D

11. Rae
    March 13, 2016 at 2:05 pm (1 year ago)

Dayka,
    I’m in love with the pattern of the subway tile, and the accent of penny tile is perfection! I saw when you first posted your bathroom and couldn’t resist returning when it popped up on Apartment Therapy! I was hoping you might be able to share where you sourced your shower curtain rod. I’ve been searching all over for a chic alternative to a basic builder chrome or nickel one. Anything you could share would be awesome! Thanks!

• DaykaRobinson
      March 25, 2016 at 3:16 am (12 months ago)

Hey Rae:

Check Bed Bath & Beyond!

12. Dee
    May 31, 2016 at 11:36 pm (10 months ago)

Its gorgeous. As i embark on my bathroom reno, i need to know What color grout did you use?

• DaykaRobinson
      June 1, 2016 at 7:46 pm (10 months ago)

Hey Dee–black grout!

13. Cinthia
    July 11, 2016 at 10:56 am (9 months ago)

It is gorgeous!!!! Where did find the curtains?

• DaykaRobinson
      July 11, 2016 at 11:02 am (9 months ago)

Cinthia:

Thank you–the shower curtain was custom-made!

14. Danielle
    August 9, 2016 at 9:55 pm (8 months ago)

I like the idea of curtain mounted up near the ceiling. Did you use a liner? If so, did you make it or buy it? If so, where? What type of fabric did you use for the shower curtain you made?

• DaykaRobinson
      August 18, 2016 at 10:06 pm (7 months ago)

Danielle:

This is a regular shower curtain–just custom made–so there’s definitely a liner on this, and it was purchased from a local resource that is only open to the Trade. You can use ANY fabric to make your shower curtain–just depends on your taste/desired aesthetic!

good luck!

15. Tiffany
    December 4, 2016 at 10:41 am (4 months ago)

Hi, just found your bathroom on Pinterest. What is the name of/ manufacturer of the curtain fabric? I realize it’s to the trade but have a designer friend who can get it for me. Thanks!

• DaykaRobinson
      February 4, 2017 at 10:40 am (2 months ago)

Hey Tiffany:

They sell the same pattern at Robert Allen!

16. DeeWils
    January 22, 2017 at 12:09 pm (2 months ago)

Beautiful bathroom! We’re currently renovating our main bath as well. Such a job! I’m wondering what you used as a shelf in your shampoo nook? It’s all in the details! Thanks 🙂

• DaykaRobinson
      February 4, 2017 at 10:39 am (2 months ago)

Hey Diana:

Just sent you an email but it’s a piece of 12×12 Carrara marble tile that we ripped down to the measurements I wanted. Works like a charm! Best of luck with your reno!