BEFORE & AFTER: A HIS & HERS MASTER BEDROOM

Pictures are truly the best tools we Interior Designers have to document the power of good design!
Take, for instance, my last bedroom project…

Before–View from doorway to new bed wall.
My former client was becoming a “his & her” team and combining residences with her sweetie…her “new” bedroom was devoid of furniture minus a bed, tv, & tv stand. No nightstands, bedside lighting, or seating areas–lots of work to be done!

Before–View from bathroom towards old bed orientation.
You can see their concept & color palette here. And now the pretty part…the Afters
The showpiece of this install was this custom, King-sized wingback tufted headboard that I designed for their room.
Gorgeous, right??
“His” request was that the bed stay at (at least) its current height (32+ inches) so to compensate for the higher-than-standard measurement, I designed the headboard to stand at 87″ tall with a 7″ wrap-around for a cozy feel (hence the “wingback” designation). Placing the bed on the wall opposite the door allowed it to be framed by two large windows on either side of the bed and though the bed partially blocks the windows, the ample natural light that floods the room means that they don’t have to worry about the room feeling like a dungeon–their light exposure is what designers dream of!
Two (bedrooms) becoming one often makes for a shortage on storage space, so a pair of dressers were sourced to increase their clothing storage. With a cherry tone finish, clean lines & modern hardware, this pair is Modern Traditional design at its finest!
A reading nook for the free corner.
The “she” in this duo is an avid reader and wanted a cozy chair deep enough to snuggle up in and read a book. Since there weren’t many ready-made options on the market to fit her specifications, I suggested the Ikea Strandmon chair which I had my upholsterer (love that guy!) reupholster in a Kravet linen. If you read my blog, you know that I LOVE finding ways to use existing furniture pieces and rework them so they meet my client’s needs. It’s not always cheaper than using ready-made, but if you’re going to pay retail prices, I always recommend you find the piece you need (with great bones–so important!!) and make it fit for your project–this little shortcut means you can have the luxury of custom at the same price as retail! Now THAT’S what I call a deal.
The bedding is a mix of custom (Duralee) and retail, which tends to work best when strict budgets are involved. The labor alone on a custom duvet can easily run $300+ which doesn’t even include your fabric, so a good compromise is to fabricate custom bed pillows and then source a retail option for your duvet and coverlet. In this case, the duvet came from Nate Berkus’ line for Target and was a perfect match for our selected palette. Since I couldn’t find a vintage bench wide enough to anchor a King bed (I wish I still had this old one!), I found one we all loved on Overstock.com and had my trusty upholsterer reupholster the seat in the Duralee print my clients previously selected.
The secret to great design?
Style assessment + space planning + high/low mix–it’s a formula that works every time.
So now I have to ask…
What’s your favorite part??

15 Comments on BEFORE & AFTER: A HIS & HERS MASTER BEDROOM

1. Holly Thomas
    November 12, 2013 at 10:03 am (4 years ago)

It is absolutely beautiful! I’m in love with the chair makeover!

2. SHERRY HART
    November 12, 2013 at 10:12 am (4 years ago)

Stunner Dayka! That headboard is such an awesome focal point…as is the cute reading area….and the recovered Ikea chair:)

3. Dayka Robinson
    November 12, 2013 at 10:15 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Holly! That is one of my FAVORITE tricks for creating custom (or semi-custom) furniture and that Ikea Strandmon chair has such great bones. In these last 2 years Ikea has REALLY stepped their game up…I feel fortunate to live 15 minutes away from one! They have great new furniture pieces and the fabric options are looking much more high end. With a few customizations (new hardware, legs, color options, etc), Ikea furniture is like a whole new world!

4. Cathy Wall
    November 12, 2013 at 10:44 am (4 years ago)

Oh my….that headboard!!! Wow, what an amazing piece! This room is completely transformed, interesting and unique. Love your color and fabric choices, beautiful!

5. Leslie Price
    November 12, 2013 at 11:40 am (4 years ago)

This is a showstopper! I love the mix of the Nate Berkus bedding with the custom headboard and pillows! Just gorgeous!!

6. Kathleen Mapson
    November 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm (4 years ago)

The fabrics and that headboard is KILLAH!!!!!! Love it!! And you are right – your ‘formula’ works everytime! Awesome job!

7. Kathleen Mapson
    November 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm (4 years ago)

8. Nikki
    November 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm (4 years ago)

I just love seeing a bare space get filled out. And it looks so usable!

9. Jessie | The Design Daredevil
    November 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm (4 years ago)

That headboard is killer!!!!!

Can I ask where you got it custom made??? I need to make one myself!

10. Katrina ChicLittleHouse
    November 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm (4 years ago)

The headboard looks so amazing — would love a closer look 🙂 I always enjoying seeing your design projects! 🙂

11. Tonia Bozeman
    November 14, 2013 at 9:55 am (4 years ago)

My favorite part of course is the headboard, but those console tables as night tables tho!

12. Anonymous
    November 24, 2013 at 3:15 am (4 years ago)

Lovely transformation!!!

13. Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    December 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm (3 years ago)

I saw this post a while back but totally missed that you had recovered an IKEA Stradmon chair. (I guess I was just admiring the great lines and the fabric.) I saw the chairs in store and love the shape and thought they were surprisingly comfortable, but there was something I wasn’t quite happy with about the design (the placement of the buttons, maybe?). Great idea to have them recovered.

The whole room looks very luxe. Nice job!