SPICING UP MY ENTRYWAY WITH A PERSIAN RUG

My entryway has been the stepchild of my house.
You wouldn’t think that to be the case, seeing as it’s the first room you enter upon walking into my home, but it’s really the truth. I’ve neglected it in deference to the other shinier spaces and recently made a personal commitment to show it some special love by the beginning of the new year.  So my makeover is starting from the bottom up, beginning with this little area rug number:

What you’re looking at is a Persian, hand-woven, wool area rug from Medallion Rug. Even though I’ve been in my home for close to 7 years, I’m still figuring out how I want to live in each space and one thing I know about my entryway is that I wanted a statement piece underfoot, something to catch the eyes of my guests upon entry.

Houston, I think we’ve found it.

I LOVE the rich colors in this area rug and it’s sooo soft underfoot. There were so many options to choose from (seriously–like, thousands) that it literally took me days to decide what I wanted, but I think I made the right choice.
Part Elle Decor, part ethnic chic, 100% Dayka.

Now that I have a starting point, those walls are up next. My thoughts are grasscloth or a really cool, geometric stencil (which I, unfortunately, do not have the patience for) but I’m open ! So I’m asking you guys…what do YOU think I should do to the walls??

12 Comments on SPICING UP MY ENTRYWAY WITH A PERSIAN RUG

1. Jennifer Washington
    October 31, 2013 at 3:22 pm (4 years ago)

Grasscloth with a slight sheen would be great. Texture to appeal to the ethnic chic side and a little sheen to appeal to the Elle decor side! Stencils can get a little busy and may be too much competition for the rug. P.s. I love your design style:-)

2. alewis44
    November 1, 2013 at 8:54 am (4 years ago)

Grasscloth would be awesome, just the right amount of drama to add to an already beautiful entryway!
    Love your blog! Annette

3. Leslie Price
    November 1, 2013 at 10:50 am (4 years ago)

What a gorgeous and welcoming entry! I vote for grasscloth! 🙂

4. Katrina@ChicLittleHouse
    November 1, 2013 at 11:29 am (4 years ago)

I looks so godo in your entry and I love your mirror and console table!! Stencil would be awesome, but I’m in your camp seems like so much work and tedious I’m trying to talk myself into a stencil project too 🙂

5. La Monica
    November 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm (4 years ago)

Show us some samples of the grasscloth wallpaper and the stencil you had in mind, and then I can tell you better. lol As a texture girl through and through, I love the idea of the grasscloth. But I’ve been eyeing some great wallpaper-esque stenciling in the blogosphere as of late so I’m kind of curious to see what you would select. And if you don’t like it, you can always slap some paint over it and go another direction.

6. charmaine
    November 2, 2013 at 8:33 am (4 years ago)

Love the rug and I would definitely go for grasscloth!

7. Terry
    November 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm (4 years ago)

I wouldn’t know what to do with the walls but I vote FOR the rug.

8. Dayka Robinson
    November 6, 2013 at 10:31 am (4 years ago)

I haven’t actually started any sourcing for this area, but I DO love the idea of grasscloth with a sheen. And even though it may compete with the rug, I still kinda like the idea of a stencil, too. I wanted BAM and OOMPH when you walk through the door…just not sure if I’m gonna get that with the GC. Thanks for all of your feedback and kind comments about my pieces and style–I appreciate it!

Xo,
    Dayka

9. pve design
    November 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm (4 years ago)

Love a bold stripe on the walls or a BAM BOLD pop of a graphic. Rug is wonderful. Look at wall papers….
    pve

10. SHERRY HART
    November 12, 2013 at 10:16 am (4 years ago)

Love the rug…tried to go on their site but too hard to search…..I am thinking grasscloth. Maybe a cheap one that you could paint and stencil like the expensive ones or add railheads to it!

11. Juliana Diaz
    November 20, 2013 at 9:09 am (4 years ago)

curious about the window coverings? Are those custom? I just moved into a house that has these faux stain glass roses on the transom windows and until I can afford to replace them I would like to cover them. Thanks!