REUPHOLSTERING LOUIS DINING CHAIRS: PART 1

Remember when I found this set of 6 Louis XV style dining chairs on Craigslist?
Well after much thought I’ve finally decided to tackle them myself.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done any major DIY projects, but this should be a fairly simple (though slightly time consuming) project. To be honest, I’m just sick of seeing these white chairs hanging out in my dining room, and since I actually have everything I need to get them done, that’s what I’m gonna do. My dining room is begging for reupholstered chairs.
The plan is to refinish the frames in a high gloss black and reupholster the cushions in a black cotton with a white double contrast welt on the front of the chair and one of these numbers on the back. I’m leaning towards the using the middle print on the back of 4 chairs and the lambswool on the back of the 2 head chairs to keep it interesting.
So the tedious part of this process is removing the old fabric, glue and staples from the frame. To do the detail work I used a mini flat head screwdriver and a set of vice grip or locking needle nose pliers. First you’ll want to pull off the cording/welt/trim, then figure out the best way to remove the fabric. Fortunately I was able to use my pliers to pull off the first layer, then go back and remove each of the staples with my mini flat head…and there were lots. I saved the seat & back fabric remnants to make a template for the new fabrics and that was all it took to take these chairs apart. Pretty simple!

I’m painting as I go to allow the chairs to cure as long as possible. At this rate, I should be done sometime next week, but I’m not complaining! Once everything is stripped & painted, I’ll show you how I reupholstered the cushions in Part II.
One down, 5 to go.

14 Comments on REUPHOLSTERING LOUIS DINING CHAIRS: PART 1

1. mrs. V | Chez V
    April 30, 2013 at 8:32 am (4 years ago)

Just gotta say, I am so dang inspired again. I spent a good while reading back through your archives yesterday and felt like I was chatting with a kindred spirit. You have motivated me on many levels. Thank you.

2. Amanda
    April 30, 2013 at 9:52 am (4 years ago)

You go girl!!! The thought of attempting to reupholster something makes me break out in hives- its not that I can’t do it-its the tedious task of removing all those damn staples!! LOL! Cant wait to see them finished -I know that will be amazing!!

3. Dayka
    April 30, 2013 at 11:09 am (4 years ago)

Mrs. V: What a compliment–thank you! It has been SO LONG since I’ve done anything like this, but I figured it would be a two-fold project–it will move me closer to getting my dining room done AND give me blog content…can’t go wrong with that!

Thanks for reading my blog, glad I could inspire!

Xo,
    Dayka

4. Dayka
    April 30, 2013 at 11:11 am (4 years ago)

Amanda: That’s what had me worried too plus I didn’t think I had the right tools (which makes any job SO much more challenging), but that baby flat head worked perfectly. I took me about 15 minutes to get them all out.
    I went downstairs this morning and thought “oh no, what did I do”, but I know it will all be fine and once I get my system worked out I’ll fly through the others in no time. Cross your fingers that I can get them done by next week!

Xo,
    D

5. pve design
    April 30, 2013 at 12:04 pm (4 years ago)

A chair a day…..just sayin. You go girl~ soon you’ll be sittin pretty~
    pve

6. charmaine
    April 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm (4 years ago)

You go girl! I need the motivation to do mine!!

7. Tonia Bozeman
    May 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm (4 years ago)

I’m such a a wuss when it comes to doing upholstery— but I love the fabric choices you’ve made.

8. dressmyroom
    May 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm (4 years ago)

Love love love the fabric choices. What tools are you using? I have some cane wing backs I need to remove the fabric from.

9. Megan Proctor
    May 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm (4 years ago)

I just found your blog. I adore your style!

10. Amanda
    May 23, 2013 at 9:50 pm (4 years ago)

jus popp’n in looking for Part 2. 🙂
    And your killing it with your latest fun project with the leopard & greek key!!

11. Victoria
    July 3, 2017 at 7:43 am (3 months ago)

Did you ever complete this project? I would love to see the part 2 with photos and directions because I’m thinking of doing the same! Love those chairs. Thanks!!

• DaykaRobinson
      July 6, 2017 at 4:09 pm (3 months ago)

Hey Victoria!

Look on my Portfolio page–the last photo is of my dining room & you’ll see the chairs there!