Subscribe to our newsletter. Get our expert tips on designing a home & creating a life with intention-- delivered straight to your inbox!

CLIENT PROGRESS: REUPHOLSTERED VINTAGE ARM CHAIRS

Found these amazing vintage Mid Century chairs for my client’s sitting room and new they’d be perfect. This is a His & Hers set, which is not quite what I had in mind, so I had my upholsterer build the “her” up to match the size of the “his”. Didn’t know they could do that?? Yup, you’d be surprised at what’s possible with a skilled upholsterer…it’s one of the reasons I love sourcing vintage furniture!
I used Thom Filicia’s Prospect in Shadow on the outside back & arms (new language I learned from my upholsterer–outside back, outside front, outside arms, & inside–the proper way to spec a job like this) and Waverly Strands in Sterling on the front. Strands actually wasn’t my first choice, but I loved the reverse of the fabric together with the Prospect, so I went with it. I stopped by to check on the progress yesterday & I LOVE how they’re turning out–can’t wait to see everything together!
To see more fabrics from their project, go here
**The idea of a “his & hers” set is very smart, seeing as we women are clearly incapable of sitting in chairs “sized for a man”. Thank you, Thoughtful Chair Designer.

8 Comments on CLIENT PROGRESS: REUPHOLSTERED VINTAGE ARM CHAIRS

1. wydevendesigns.com
    August 14, 2012 at 7:13 am (3 years ago)

Love these – you and I are in the same business – check out my stuff as well!

Gerrie

2. pve design
    August 14, 2012 at 8:07 am (3 years ago)

You are simply amazing. That took courage. I was thinking the same thing about the height of the back of the chair! They are so witty re-upholstered.
    pve

3. Amanda
    August 14, 2012 at 10:13 am (3 years ago)

umm hello!! those are crazy gorgeous! cant wait to see them in the space!

4. Anonymous
    August 14, 2012 at 11:34 am (3 years ago)

Amazing LOVE!!!!!
    mender56

5. Bernadette @B3HD
    August 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm (3 years ago)

Really interested in how these turn out. Especially the “build up” part you’re talking about for her’s to match his height.

Love your eye for the bones of a piece. Your fabric selections always just kill it.

Bernadette

6. Tonia B.
    August 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm (3 years ago)

Looks like your project is really coming along. I love the fabric choices for the chairs.

7. Holly
    August 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm (3 years ago)

Dayka!! To say I’m in love with these is an understatement – and the Before?? Those photos speak for themselves. They look awesome and you are going to have very happy clients.

8. Cris Angsten
    August 21, 2012 at 9:33 am (3 years ago)

I never even thought to ASK my upholsterer if he could do something about the size of the “hers” chairs I have pulled from the Inn I am working on. Instead I’ve been replacing with closer-to-matched sets. Oh bummer! The chairs look great!!! Love your fabric choices :-)