Subscribe to our newsletter. Get our expert tips on designing a home & creating a life with intention-- delivered straight to your inbox!

I’M TACKLING WALLPAPER…GOT TIPS?

This should give you a good idea about the pretty big project I intend to tackle next week. I’m still debating about whether it’s really smart for me to install it myself or not, so if you have any tips or tricks for hanging wallpaper, please share! Grasscloth might be a bit easier, but this is what I’m going with..

…and while I’m dying of joy, I have to admit, the pattern’s got me a bit nervous. Wish me luck!

9 Comments on I’M TACKLING WALLPAPER…GOT TIPS?

1. Stacy Curran
    July 3, 2012 at 10:47 am (3 years ago)

LOVE the wallpaper!! I’m terrible at hanging it, so I’m a little nervous for you. Good luck!!
    Stacy

2. Kim@Chattafabulous
    July 3, 2012 at 7:56 pm (3 years ago)

You are brave! I don’t think I would try this myself but I commend you for giving it a shot. The pattern is fab – that’s a definitely a go! Hope you have a camera crew standing by!

3. Bernadette @ B3hd
    July 4, 2012 at 2:47 am (3 years ago)

No tips, but LOVE that second photo with the arched window and bold paper. Can’t wait to see how it comes out.

4. Julie lorusso of MonkeyGrassHill
    July 6, 2012 at 8:16 am (3 years ago)

I love the paper you chose. I did a powder room recently and I have to tell you it’s a very messy job. I used a pre-pasted paper to make it go easier.

You’ll need at least two people — it is NOT a one person job. If you can get more that helps. Then you can have one person stay up on the ladder, one person measuring and cutting and one person assisting with the lining up and smoothing out.

I look forward to seeing the finished room. Good luck to you.

5. Julielorusso@gmail.com
    July 6, 2012 at 8:19 am (3 years ago)

I papered my powder room recently. It’s a minimum two person job. It’s messy! and you’ll probably need more paper than you think. If you want some more specific tips you can e-mail me and I’ll tell you how to cut and what tools to use to smooth it.

6. pve design
    July 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm (3 years ago)

I wish you luck.
    pve

7. Cris Angsten
    July 7, 2012 at 11:26 am (3 years ago)

Pretty paper! My dad was a pro paperhanger, I worked with him a lot as a kid. Start in an inconspicuous corner. Is it pre-pasted? If not – you’ll want paste in a bucket, and a thin-nap paint roller – roll it on smoothly – not too thick, and evenly – onto the back of the paper, all the way to the edge. Use a level to be sure you have it all straight, and overlap the edges once you match the pattern. You are better off trimming the edges as one (boxcutter and thick straightedge). Use a squeegie to gently move bubbles to the outside edge, then a wallpaper brush against the whole paper to make sure it all lies nice and tight to your wall.
    I can show you how to wallpaper your switchplates too :-)
    Good luck! Can’t wait to see the finished project!

8. Cris Angsten
    July 7, 2012 at 11:28 am (3 years ago)

And call me if you have questions! That cutting trick is what makes your seams disappear, most average paperhangers just meet edge to edge and so you always see the seams. This makes your seams disappear.
    Oh and wipe down the seams with a lightly damp sponge in case any paste squished out. :-)