TAKING A QUEEN ANNE FROM UGLY TO PRETTY

1st–thanks for all of your great feedback about my blog redesign! i love, love, love it and appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.
I think I’ve already mentioned the big residential & commercial project I’ve been working on since the end of September, right?  Well I’m now in the final 2 weeks, so I’m going to start sharing a few mini reveals. First up is this old Queen Anne sofa that was originally in the Executive Assistant’s common area. The bad news is that this is the best “before” photo I took (I hate when that happens!). The good news is, the “after” is sick.
Pieces like this come a dime a dozen, most likely made in the ’80s with that standard, traditional law firm-ish fabric. You can probably find someone selling one on Craigslist for $250, but you shouldn’t pay more than $50 (okay, $80 if you really want it). We reused the sofa for its great lines and also because the client wanted to repurpose as much as possible (which is totally up my alley).  In keeping with their new red, white and blue logo, this Navy chevron Schumacher print was the go-to choice.

OMG, L.O.V.E.
Even sitting in their garage and with pics taken from my iPhone, it’s pretty bad. And that’s bad meaning good. The legs were originally going to be painted white, but since the floor is also white (vinyl plank!!), keeping them wood tone helps visually ground the sofa to the floor.

And another close-up.
This is why I LOVE refinishing and reupholstering furniture! It keeps beautiful old furniture out of the landfill and gives you a truly one-of-a-kind creation in the end. I really, really believe your home should reflect your journey & lifestyle and I encourage my clients to think out of the box (especially those that aren’t keen on reupholstering) when it comes to sourcing furniture. There are 3 parts of my job that I love the most, and one of them is definitely reupholstery. Now I’m not saying that someone else won’t go out and do a Queen Anne sofa just like this one, but we’ll always know where they got it from!

17 Comments on TAKING A QUEEN ANNE FROM UGLY TO PRETTY

1. SHERRY HART
    January 10, 2012 at 8:37 am (6 years ago)

BAM! That sofa is bad ass now!!! Love it. The new look of your blog is wonderful. Great job!

2. Niki McNeill
    January 10, 2012 at 10:53 am (6 years ago)

Love that fabric choice!! Beautiful job 😉

3. Sing
    January 10, 2012 at 11:45 am (6 years ago)

Great fabric choice, it’s very chic!

4. Hello Lover...
    January 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm (6 years ago)

Oh my, I love this – that fabric is perfect for that piece!

5. Cris Angsten
    January 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm (6 years ago)

WoW! I have a Thomasville camelback sofa in my living room and I LOVE this modern Chevron print, looking at mine sideways now – way cool!!!

6. Holly
    January 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm (6 years ago)

Holy amazing Dayka!!! I love it! It’s such a handsome yet modern new look. I saw your post on Twitter and I had to come over and see on the big screen. You look great in your new photo too (it is new right?)

7. Tia Brumbelow
    January 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm (6 years ago)

WOW! The couch looks fantastic! {Oh and I also love the new look}

January 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm (6 years ago)

It’s so pretty!! i’m glad you left the legs dark, perfect!

9. Stacy Curran
    January 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm (6 years ago)

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!! It’s stunning!
    Stacy

10. Janis @ Home Style
    January 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm (6 years ago)

Fantastic job! It’s great to see you kept that sofa out of the land-fill, If only more people could see the potential in a piece.

11. angela | the painted house
    January 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm (6 years ago)

LOVE it! These camel back sofas are a diamond in the rough–can go so many ways! I was hunting for one last spring, looked on c-list at prices you noted, and then ran into one for $20 when I least expected it at Queen of Hearts. But it was the opposite of law firm chic–it was total grandma with the quilting and ruffly skirt. I went more trad than your awesome chevron and skirted mine since all the other seating was leggy in the room. Love these!

12. caramelnaps25
    January 25, 2012 at 12:36 am (6 years ago)

You did that! Absolutely fabulous! WOW is all I can say! Its amazing what can be done!

13. Ally
    January 26, 2012 at 5:02 pm (6 years ago)

dayka i LOVE this couch redo! do you mind me asking- about how much does it cost to reupholster a couch like that? it’s really appealing to me to find a couch for $50 and make it over, but i’m not sure what to expect when it comes to cost of the actual makeover.

14. wydevendesigns.com
    July 31, 2012 at 7:58 am (5 years ago)

I have mentioned the same lofty goal for refinishing existing great pieces – save them from landfill!

I have a blog and website and facebook page and have not been able to figure out how to do the internal link to the facebook page you have here – can you explain how you did it??

Gerrie

15. Nancy
    October 3, 2012 at 8:30 am (5 years ago)

LOVE this!