PAINTING A BRICK FIREPLACE

That wave of energy to get my bedroom done rode me right on downstairs. I’ve been debating painting my brick fireplace for awhile, but that Sherwin Williams 40% off sale was just the kick I needed to dive in and test the waters. I’m strongly leaning towards a dark color a la The Brick House, but decided to test both…

(BEFORE: yup, I using my fabulous lamps downstairs too–they’re the perfect size for my tuxedo couch)

I really, really like the dark color (which is a SW color match to Behr Dark Cavern) but decided to hold off painting the whole fireplace dark since I haven’t finalized a scheme for the space yet. In the meantime, I went ahead and primed the fireplace since it has to be done regardless of what color I choose. It’s the perfect opportunity for me to test the waters of a lighter fireplace without having to apply a white top coat. And even though my neighbor has already popped by and weighed-in with his favorite (and he’s definitely against the dark brown), it would secretly thrill me to hear your opinion too.
So what’s your pick–light or dark??

*And let me say for the record, that unless you have really cool brick like this, it’s always gonna be in your favor to paint. Even if I don’t stick with the white, it’s lightened up the room A TON. Believe me.*

22 Comments on PAINTING A BRICK FIREPLACE

1. Shanika Pichey
    August 4, 2011 at 8:47 am (6 years ago)

I’m biased and like darker colors but I have seen fireplaces that have been painted white and after a while they look dirty. It’s easier to see all te dust that accumulates. Maybe it’s due to the homeowners being lazy….or white is hard to clean. Either way white fireplace reads dirty to me. Lol!

2. La Monica
    August 4, 2011 at 8:51 am (6 years ago)

I like the way the lighter color pops against your wood floors. I vote the lighter color.

3. Jae
    August 4, 2011 at 9:31 am (6 years ago)

The dark color is very nice, but I still vote for light and bright.

4. Brit
    August 4, 2011 at 9:45 am (6 years ago)

Painted white fireplaces are my favorite. I just love how it brightens up the whole room!

5. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    August 4, 2011 at 9:56 am (6 years ago)

I suppose it would depend on how much natural light you get in the room, but the light primer looks great so I can see it going white. Have you tried using the SW color visualizer to see what it might look like?

6. Tammy@InStitches
    August 4, 2011 at 10:03 am (6 years ago)

I vote white and then paint the mantle dark.

7. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    August 4, 2011 at 10:13 am (6 years ago)

I like the white. I looks so fresh. Plus you can use just about any color and it will pop against it.

I will be checking back to see what you finally choose.

Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

8. Tshepo
    August 4, 2011 at 11:27 am (6 years ago)

light. But I would be interested to see what your whole palette will be before committing.

9. Tshepo
    August 4, 2011 at 11:28 am (6 years ago)

light. But I am interested in what the rest of your palette will be before totally committing.

10. confettistyle
    August 4, 2011 at 11:55 am (6 years ago)

I love the white and can even tell in the photo that it will brighten up the space. Once the brick is painted white, I’d paint your mantel black or dark brown so that it will pop. Can’t wait to see the finished look.

August 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm (6 years ago)

I like the white much better helps brighten up the room

12. Elisa @ What the Vita
    August 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm (6 years ago)

It looks great already, so white… Can’t go wrong with white. Agree with the others who say to paint the mantel. Also you could paint the inside of the fireplace a fun color?

13. hollyG
    August 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm (6 years ago)

I feel like the white is just so-so for you…I feel like you would enjoy the black more. And with some pops of color with the accesories I think that has your name written all over it! I love SW paint!

14. Niki McNeill
    August 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm (6 years ago)

My vote is WHITE πŸ™‚

15. Mimi
    August 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm (6 years ago)

WHITE or LIGHT!!!

16. Joi
    August 6, 2011 at 1:00 am (6 years ago)

I think the white looks the freshest! It’s a classic look.

17. Lori
    August 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm (6 years ago)

Hmmm, I know it will look great, no matter which one you choose, but I’m torn. Of course, it’s easy to say white, which I do love, but the dark could be so interesting. I think my decision would be made based on how much natural light you have.

Can’t wait to see what you decide!

Lori

18. Bernadette @ b3hd
    August 9, 2011 at 12:45 am (6 years ago)

Something totally bogus and out there – how bought painted but not white or dark. Do a color. It’s just paint – you can go a different color when the mood switches up. Tons of white fireplaces out there (which I love, I have a white fireplace in an all sorts of gray house). But I’m not loving the light suck that a dark fireplace is. Unless you have a bank of windows blinding you or something.

Go totally out of the box and pick a great accent color for your vision and go to town. Now THAT would be interesting.

Sure you’ll do it right whatever you end up doing.

Bernadette @b3hd

19. theLENNOXX
    August 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm (6 years ago)

So that’s why you liked the brick fireplace I posted πŸ˜‰ I really like how your fp looks with the white paint, but now I just have to visualize the other option. Will photoshop it, I’ll email you the result =)

xox

20. Full House
    August 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm (6 years ago)

love the white. funny but we have been looking at a few new homes built in the 80’s and they all have those kind of brick fireplaces and my husband said he would want to leave the brick as is..I said no way.

21. Cassidy
    August 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm (6 years ago)

I say light… maybe whitewash!!!!

22. Miss M&M
    August 22, 2011 at 8:45 pm (6 years ago)

I guess I’m the odd ball out. I actually like the dark color and think it will pop against the wall color, white mantel, and white pictures frames. White, although it can brighten the space feels expected to me. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.