Room Service Atlanta: The Big Reveal

So 25 hours of hard labor, about $800 dollars, and 8 volunteers turned my view-less room at the Nicholas House into this:

ugh–that darn shade…
And I have a secret–I didn’t actually come up with this plan until the Saturday before the install began, which was really pushing it. My first plan to have duvets made by my seamstress didn’t work out (even though I’d already purchased the fabric!), so I hatched my next one in the aisles of Target’s home section. Here’s what I used:

paint: SW Proper Grey
duvets: Ikea
sheets: Target
toss pillows: Target & Ikea
desk chair: Ikea
shelving: Ikea
baskets: ikea
storage boxes: Ikea
dresser: Craigslist
headboard: Goodwill
desk: mine (via Goodwill)
rug: Ikea
toy basket: Home Goods
mirror: mine (via Goodwill)
hooks: Ikea
overdoor storage: Lowe’s
underbed storage: Ross & Walmart
chandelier: Ikea
bamboo blinds: Overstock
throw blanket: Target

As with all of the rooms, there was a serious storage problem, so the bulk of my money went to solving that problem. I bought 5 soft plastic underbed storage bags from places like Ross & Walmart and used those to store shoes, out of season items, and old comforters. The family also had some of their own storage bags, so I packed as much as I could into them and stored everything away under the beds. Wall baskets were reserved for daily items, pajamas, & underwear. 10 Hooks behind the door and 4 on the wall (next to the beds) now hold book bags, hanging clothes & towels, and the white storage boxes above the bed hold cleaning products, laundry items, bedding & towels. To brighten up the grey, I painted the bunkbed white (with the help of my fabulous volunteers) and did the same with the dresser, desk and headboard. The final result is rather simple, clean & relaxing and I’m really, really pleased with the way with my room turned out (especially given the spatial & financial constraints).

I know this is a long post–I have to say, I’m so proud of this group that Erika & I have put together and felt so inspired by the work that all of the designers came together to accomplish! We’ve had an incredible amount of positive feedback about our efforts and so many designers have already asked to sign on for our next project which we’re already brainstorming about! We’re happy to announce that Room Service Atlanta will be a twice per year venture and we’re shooting for the stars. I left the shelter Friday feeling very emotionally overwhelmed after hearing the feedback from some of the residents and reading a beautiful note that Sherry’s residents left for her. This project really helped to put things into perspective for  me, but I think I speak for everyone else here, too.  It’s easy to forget that some people really do have it worse–like living 6 (or in Julie & Anisa’s case, 10!) to a room that’s about the size of a shoebox with a lot of personal items in a small space (or in some cases, very few personal items at all). So many people are really struggling right now, and it’s really been fulfilling to be able to give back of a gift we’ve all been blessed with. There were definitely some challenges along the way, but everyone carried themselves with grace & humility throughout it. Julie & Anisa probably got it the worst–they arrived at the shelter Monday expecting to makeover a room for 3, only to find that the resident didn’t want her room touched. They immediately signed on to do the largest room (housing a family of 10!!) on the spot, returning the new bed they’d purchased (for the other resident) and used that money for new bedding in the larger room. Now THAT’s the perfect illustration of the type of team we had on board!

I know I’ve said it before, but thank you so much to those of you who donated to these efforts, whether it was specially to me or another designer involved with RSA. We ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT have done it without the financial contribution and hands-on volunteer support, and every little bit truly helped. By donating an hour of your time or $25 from your wallet, you helped us let 12 families know that they’re important & valued by their community. Sincerely, thank you for everything.

35 Comments on Room Service Atlanta: The Big Reveal

1. Angela
    May 3, 2011 at 7:07 am (6 years ago)

This room is absolutely beautiful! It really is. I just love it!

Everything is so clean, fresh, and preppy. It reminds me of a beach house. You rock!

2. Erika Ward
    May 3, 2011 at 7:21 am (6 years ago)

I don’t think anyone would ever guess this bedroom was in a transitional shelter! Nothing short of remarkable.

Hats off to you Dayka for being such an awesome partner. It was really worth ALL if it, wasn’t it?! Nothing could ever wipe this smile off my face.

I completely share your closing sentiments. I pray we are lucky enough to have another team of “Rock Star” designers the next go round. Bring it on!!!

3. Tiffany @ Savor Home
    May 3, 2011 at 8:42 am (6 years ago)

LOVE IT!!! It turned out to be beautiful! Its so bright and I love the storage options. The chandy is lovely, too. So glad that I could help you and CAN’T wait for the next project!

4. Kelle Dame
    May 3, 2011 at 9:05 am (6 years ago)

Beautiful!!! What a blessing for the family who needs it!!! You have given them such a beautiful place to start fresh. Bravo!
    Kelle
    xx

5. Inez of Style Chic....360
    May 3, 2011 at 9:13 am (6 years ago)

Oh wow, you all did a fantastic job!

All the transformations of your finds look amazing! The white looks so chic and clean!

(Blog GIVEAWAY going on NOW, check it out!)

6. Terry
    May 3, 2011 at 9:30 am (6 years ago)

Bravo, wonderful.

7. SHERRY HART
    May 3, 2011 at 9:38 am (6 years ago)

Dayka…I just commented on Erica’s room, but I want to express to you the same things. I am truly honored that you guys asked me to participate in this project. It was life changing…along with meeting you both. I can not remember being more challenged, yet having more fun 🙂 I know big things are going to happen for you both by creating Room Service! Now to your room…awesome. So fresh and tailored…I love all of the white furniture. It makes the room seem so much larger and the fact that you painted the bunk-bead and hung a chandelier is more than I can stand! All of your hard work paid off….

8. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    May 3, 2011 at 10:00 am (6 years ago)

WOW!

This room is certainly magazine ready. So bright and fresh and airy!

Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

9. Tonia
    May 3, 2011 at 10:00 am (6 years ago)

I’m beginning to sound like a broken record but I have to say yet another beautiful transformation.
    Chic Modern Vintage

10. YUMMommy
    May 3, 2011 at 10:03 am (6 years ago)

It turned out beautifully!

11. Kacey @ shes.no.martha
    May 3, 2011 at 10:15 am (6 years ago)

This is amazing!!!!!!!! So clean and calming and REAL.

This, by far, is my favorite.

Bravo to you!

Kacey

12. Kristen
    May 3, 2011 at 10:21 am (6 years ago)

really beautiful, dayka!! great work!! 🙂

13. Sara @ Perwinkle Papillon
    May 3, 2011 at 10:22 am (6 years ago)

This room is gorgeous. absolutely gorgeous!!! congratulations Dayka! What a wonderful gift to give a family.

14. Dayka (Life +Style)
    May 3, 2011 at 10:25 am (6 years ago)

Thank you so much for all of your kind & supportive comments! I appreciate the feedback (and of course it helps that it’s positive, lol!). 🙂

Dayka

15. Dana
    May 3, 2011 at 10:56 am (6 years ago)

GREAT job to you and all of the volunteers!!! LOVE!!!

16. La Monica
    May 3, 2011 at 11:01 am (6 years ago)

This room is gorgeous! It looks so peaceful and relaxing. Who wouldn’t want to come home to that?! The storage really makes the room. As I look around at my own house, I gotta say I’m a lil “j” right now. lol

What a wonderful experience for all involved. I’m so happy for the families the RSA team were able to bless with what will hopefully prove to be a new lease on life.

Looking forward to the next installment!

May 3, 2011 at 11:30 am (6 years ago)

Dayka you did an amazing job!! The room looks well though out and pretty!! I’m sure the family that lives there is so happy beyond words!!

18. Lori @ Lori May Interiors
    May 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm (6 years ago)

Dayka, it is hard for me to believe that this is the same room and I was across the hall the whole time! You did such an amazing job!

I have said it before, but it is worth saying again. You and Erika have created an amazing organization with Room Service Atlanta. I know that there are only bigger and better things to come. I feel extremely honored to play a role.

19. Jen of MadeByGirl
    May 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm (6 years ago)

PRETTY impressed! 🙂 Great job to get involved with this!

20. The Sister Sophisticate
    May 3, 2011 at 6:25 pm (6 years ago)

Hats off to you! I commend you on all your hard work and effort you and everyone whom put that talents to do good! This room is so pretty and serene!

21. classic • casual • home
    May 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm (6 years ago)

This is a beautiful room that anyone would be honored to stay in…love the white and the mirror. Fantastic! I am glad there are people in the world like you.

22. Joi
    May 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm (6 years ago)

Wow! My jaw dropped! You rocked this room, my dear!

23. autumn
    May 4, 2011 at 9:21 am (6 years ago)

ooo oo oo! it looks amazing! you did a fantastic job of overcoming that last minute hurdle with the bedding. the room really looks great. i am really digging all of the texture and the little pops of blue. it’s hard to believe that this room was done on a tight budget!
    nice work.

24. Rene
    May 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm (6 years ago)

Your room is amazing! Love the gray & the bedding. It all came together so nicely. I am proud of all of you!

25. Sharstin
    May 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, looks incredible, you are amazing!!

26. Dayka (Life +Style)
    May 4, 2011 at 11:45 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks everyone for your positive comments about both, my room makeover and my work with Room Service Atlanta! This has been my most fulfilling project to date, and I’m looking forward to doing it again in the fall. It really goes to show that WE ALL have something special that can be used to give back to those in need. 🙂

Dayka

27. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality
    May 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm (6 years ago)

Dayka, so great to meet you! I loved being there and seeing you all in action. Your room turned out just fabulous and you should be so proud of the results. All of them were great!

I sure do hope that I get to be part of the next shelter makeover. I look forward to it!

28. AprilDenise
    May 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm (6 years ago)

DAYKA!! Your room was one of my favorites earlier on in the project. But the outcome was just Great! I think you accomplished alot of storage solutions and I know the family was truly appreciative..

I have also added you to a list of my favorites on my blog.

Beautiful! And sign me up for the next!!

29. charm home
    May 7, 2011 at 9:29 am (6 years ago)

Your room looks awesome and I’m loving the dresser that you found. The whole room is so fresh and updated. I’m the owner of this room is loving their new space. xoxo, c-

30. Pixie
    May 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve been thinking of finding bamboo style blinds for my apartment as I’m tired of my boring old cream cotton drapes that have been up for 10+ years. Thanks for the photos, I think that IS the direction I want to go. Also thanks for the info on where..overstock! I never would have thought to look there.

31. Dayka (Life +Style)
    May 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm (6 years ago)

Again, thank you, thank you!!! 🙂 Your support means so much, and the positive comments aren’t too shabby either, lol. 🙂

@pixie: i love bamboo roman shades! home depot is another great place to try for inexpensive ones. good luck!