Room Service Atlanta: Using Thrifted Furniture

As promised, here’s a peek at 3 pieces of furniture I’m refinishing for my RSA room at Nicholas House. As with most of the bedrooms, my room is super short on storage, so I searched for a solid & sturdy 9 drawer dresser to replace the tiny 5 drawer one they previously had. I found this on Craigslist for $40…

Aren’t the lines amazing?? Very modern and very solid. The only downside is that it’s very heavy, even without the drawers in, so getting it up the 2 flights of stairs is going to be quite the challenge. I also found these great faux bamboo (which you know I love!) headboards for only $16 at Goodwill this weekend, one of which will be attached to the adult bed (which is a twin) in the room.  Total steal.  I actually got 2 headboards  (and no footboard) but at only $8 a piece, I’m not complaining!

Last is this desk that I’ve had in my garage forever. I love it & wanted to use it for something really special, but I’ve had it for over 2 years now and haven’t done a thing to it. I know that the families that use my room will really make good use of it, so I’m donating it to the cause. The desk is also a Goodwill find that only set me back $22! Even though I’d already removed the hardware for prep when I took this photo, I love it’s vintage style and will be keeping it (in it’s original state) to reuse.

I was initially a bit concerned that the styles of furniture don’t all go together, but after a coat of glossy white paint, I expect that everything will look great once it’s in place in the room. Next week I’ll be back to give you a full before & after and share some of my refinishing tips.
Wish us luck for Day 2!

12 Comments on Room Service Atlanta: Using Thrifted Furniture

1. Angela
    April 26, 2011 at 7:45 am (6 years ago)

I need those headboards for my guest room. The pieces are very pretty. You have such a good eye for potential.

2. Tiffany @ Savor Home
    April 26, 2011 at 8:15 am (6 years ago)

The desk is going to be PERFECT!!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

3. Terry
    April 26, 2011 at 9:07 am (6 years ago)

Best to all on Day 2. Hope the rain holds off.

4. Kelle Dame
    April 26, 2011 at 9:36 am (6 years ago)

These pieces are going to look absolutely fabulous when you’re done with them! What a beautiful cause! Can’t wait to see these all done up!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Kelle
    xx

April 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm (6 years ago)

I can already tell everything will look amazing!! No fair on the super cheap items the ATL Goodwills / Salvation army’s have!

6. Style Chic....360
    April 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm (6 years ago)

Oh, wow, what great finds, can’t wait to see the transformations.

7. jennbunny
    April 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm (6 years ago)

Can’t wait to see all the hardwork you guys got done between Monday and tomorrow! I know it’s coming together beautifully…only two more days!

8. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    April 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm (6 years ago)

What a score on those headboards. I can hardly believe anyone would part with them. Glad you found them first, they’ll be a great addition to the room.

9. SHERRY HART
    April 30, 2011 at 7:55 am (6 years ago)

When can I go thrifting with you…Lord you can find some good stuff and cheap! Your room was smoking!

10. AB HOME Interiors
    April 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm (6 years ago)

How did I know about this? Holy Jesus woman! Great, great finds…as usual!

Love this concept. I have wanted to do a similar thing here in Nashville. I read an article in Family Circle last fall on an organization set-up in LA for those who needed better home-lifes, and deserving design. They sent me everything on how to set-up, where to go, etc,etc. And I have yet to delve into it. Pathetic!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this. Good luck girl!