Too Much Of A Good Thing?

Last weekend Erika stopped by my house for a last minute Room Service planning session.  At the end of the grand tour (and after seeing my garage which is packed to the brim), she turned to me and said–“You have no excuse. You have so much stuff, your house should be finished by now.”

Kelly Wearstler’s 10,00 sq. ft furniture warehouse via So Haute

And that’s probably true. But like I told her, as someone who is always scouting thrift stores and flea markets for buried treasure, it’s hard to commit to something when you know your next great find is only days away.  As I’ve said times over, I only buy things that I really love, so every piece is special and waiting for the perfect place to shine in its full glory.  My goal is to have a home that’s at least 80% filled with secondhand items, since reusing is something I firmly believe in. I’m not against buying retail (especially for special accent pieces), but there’s nothing like finding an old vintage throwaway with great bones and making it my own.  Case in point? Lamps. I am quickly becoming a vintage lamp hoarder. I’m always buying lamps (even though I already have a solid stash) because there’s something about a vintage lamp I just can’t turn away from.  Check my latest finds:

I got a pair of each, purchased for 50% off. The 60s lamps with the wooden necks are in great condition, and the white and silver lamps are super sleek and modern. I’m already using some ceramic egg lamps in my bedroom, but I’m now debating about switching those out for these white ones. See what I mean? It’s hard to commit! And then there’s the bamboo chairs I bought on Craigslist last year (for a ridiculous price):

When I found them, I swore the search for my dining room chairs was over. I bought the paint to refinish them and ordered the bolt of fabric to recover them, but I’ve since seen others I love and am now wondering if I should really commit to these. How can I ever finish anything with this anxiety on my mind?? This, of course, got me to thinking–can you really have too much of a good thing? And before you jump on the bandwagon, let me just say that I know I can’t be the only one with this problem. My garage is FULL of fabulous finds but I can’t bring myself to seal the deal, because I know something even more amazing is right on my horizon.
Anyhow, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Weigh in below and tell me if I’m just passionate or plain ol’ crazy….

21 Comments on Too Much Of A Good Thing?

1. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    March 9, 2011 at 8:50 am (6 years ago)

No wonder I feel such a connection to your blog, I have a basement filled with things I’ve found and my upstairs isn’t more than 60% complete.

2. Angela
    March 9, 2011 at 8:53 am (6 years ago)

My garage would be just like yours if it wasn’t for the Mr. He’s the clutter police.

3. Terry
    March 9, 2011 at 9:18 am (6 years ago)

I think designers need designers. Doctors and lawyers don’t hire themselves.

4. Tonia of Chic Modern Vintage
    March 9, 2011 at 9:51 am (6 years ago)

I for one can feel your pain. There is always going to be a fabulous find, always. I came to that realization a while back. and parted ways with a lot of things.

5. L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys
    March 9, 2011 at 10:01 am (6 years ago)

I have that problem too! What I’m doing to make sure this doesn’t become a problem is to only bring things into my home that I know I’m going to use which is hard also. I find myself giving away many of my things or even donating it back to the goodwill. After my home is done, I plan to get a storage unit to house all of my findings so I can use them in future projects.

6. Diamonds Pearls and Crazy in the world of Barbie Jones
    March 9, 2011 at 10:21 am (6 years ago)

LOL Dayka do you have a problem? LOL J/K I’m the same way LOL I had to solicit help to complete the living room from MGWH before I have this baby lol even though we’ll be moving soon its like umm ppl will be sworming my apartment and it has to be “finished” lol BTW super excited for you and Erika!!!! YAY!

7. Kelle Dame
    March 9, 2011 at 10:32 am (6 years ago)

You’re not the only one! I have the same problem!! I haven’t advanced to lamp collections though 🙂
    I would have just died over those white and silver lamps!! Those are gorgeous!! I love that your goal is to have your home filled with second hand items. Why not?? I’ll bet no one would ever guess 🙂
    Hope you’re having a great week!
    Kelle
    xx

8. Shanika@LifeisPichey
    March 9, 2011 at 10:59 am (6 years ago)

You’re a passionate hoarder! ;-). I rather go thrifting/antiquing and find something that was made with strong bones instead of going to a big chain store and getting something that will collapse in a few years. I also have been collecting a lot of lamps lately. My biggest obsession right now: trunks!!

9. TamStyles
    March 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm (6 years ago)

i think it depends on how much you have…at some point i think there is a breaking point..but i have the same issue with other things.

March 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm (6 years ago)

Like you i’m all about finding a t deal and being on the lookout for unique pieces, however I think because our house is small, I really don’t have a place to store goodies I come across, and we have a small garage and parking in there is a must.

But since your finding so many great deals and items you bring home you love, there’s nothing wrong with having a collection!!

11. alison (semi-fab lane)
    March 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm (6 years ago)

it seems like we all have this in us, but at some point you need to furnish your home, right?! i did the exact thing with my dining chairs, but after finishing them, i love them! and then you just have to stop looking for the item for awhile due to the wicked temptation.

12. Bri@Meyouandawiener
    March 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm (6 years ago)

hahah my living room looks just like Kelly’s warehouse. I too find in hard to commit to just one thing when there is so much stuff out there to find. I found a solution for my addiction that I hope will soon be set in motion. Then I will have an excuse to keep thrifting and not feel guilt.

13. Danielle.freshquince
    March 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm (6 years ago)

I hear you completely just the other day my mom came over and was disgusted at the amount that I have collected…I shall never allow her into my basement again!!! I validate my purchases by saying they are second hand and someday will go to a good home after a splash of paint or new covering. In fact my plan this spring is to start painting and selling maybe on Craigslist at first and then possibly opening up a store…we’ll see what comes! Needless to say I am just as passionate about vintage furniture as you…my obsessions tend towards chairs, dressers and lamps! One can never have too many 😉 right??? Wish we were in the same home town…we could open up a kick ass store!!! xx Danielle

14. Kim@Chattafabulous
    March 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm (6 years ago)

You are describing me. The sad thing is I’ve sent a lot of my better furniture to sell at my shop (along with some thrift store makeovers) and now my own house is full of a mismatched collection of thrift store “befores” and I cannot decide on anything – I actually lose sleep over these decisions – we design obsessed are a sick little group…

15. Kim@Chattafabulous
    March 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm (6 years ago)

You are describing me perfectly! Strangely enough I sent some of my newer pieces to sell at my shop (along with some made over thrift store finds) and now my own home is a collection of thrift store “befores” and I can’t decide on anything for myself. I actually lose sleep over this stuff – we design-obsessed are a sick bunch….

16. Kim@Chattafabulous
    March 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm (6 years ago)

Sorry if I commented twice, I couldn’t remember if I actually submitted the first comment – blonde moment!!

17. cailen ascher
    March 10, 2011 at 11:52 am (6 years ago)

i just LOVE those lamps. lamps are one of my favoriate accessories for a home : ) great finds!

enjoying your blog. will definitely stop back again soon for more!
    cheers!
    cailen

18. SHERRY HART
    March 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm (6 years ago)

Join the club…get on my bandwagon…..get in line…we all have that same problem. I was better before I started reading blogs. Love those 4 chairs…holy smokes!

19. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    March 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm (6 years ago)

You and I are one in the same on this one. I have a solid stash of lamps as well.

However,

I cant bare to pass up a great lamp that is dying to have new life.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

20. Mo In Memphis
    December 11, 2013 at 4:45 pm (4 years ago)

Yes, I agree you have a problem, but hey what designer doesn’t. It’s so hard to choose. I think it’s hard because for clients they either know their style or you kind of build their style according to the things they like the most. With designers, we love everything and pretty much everything is our style. Terry had a valid point though, other professionals don’t hire or work on themselves. Find a designer you love and let them design you. Commit to it! Good luck!