Living With What You Love

Hilarious letter.
(this was my handout)

Saturday’s panel discussion at the AmericasMart went great! After trying to come up with a design concept for more than a week,  I decided to go with what I feel most passionately about and that’s living with what you love. I extended this idea to my pillow design and took a vintage textile (something that you may love but be unsure of how to showcase) and showed how it could be repurposed for everyday use.
For the front of the pillow I used a vintage raw silk scarf and a solid navy velour on the back–simple, colorful, and very one-of-a-kind (a pillow project like this is perfect for repurposing textiles).  I also found this gorgeous vintage tablecloth and brought it as an example of a piece that could be repurposed as a pillow, wall art, or even a throw.
Isn’t this tablecloth amazing??
It was great to see the pillows created by all of the other designers. Each one was beautiful and definitely spoke to the style of the designer who created it. Here’s a peek at everyone’s final project:
From left to right: Kari Fisher, Capella Kincheloe, me, Sherry Hart, & Erika Ward
All of our designs were raffled off and all of the winners seemed pretty excited to walk away with their custom pillows. Special thanks to the ladies at the AmericasMart that work so hard to put all of these great events together (hey Tess, Amanda, & Jennifer!!)–I’m so appreciative for the invite!

10 Comments on Living With What You Love

1. L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys
    March 14, 2011 at 9:56 am (6 years ago)

Living with what you love….Perfect Dayka! It just make you much happier to live like that. I took this past weekend and got rid of everthing I had to think about weather or not to keep.

Also, cute pillow!

March 14, 2011 at 11:55 am (6 years ago)

Love the pretty pillows! I think vintage scarfs look amazing framed or turned into pillows!

I agree, you should surround yourself with items you love to make your home feel more you and special

3. Erika at BluLabel Bungalow
    March 14, 2011 at 1:08 pm (6 years ago)

Your presentation was excellent! So nice of you to post your handouts for your readers. It really enhances your message.

4. Kelle Dame
    March 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm (6 years ago)

I wish I could have been there! This is right up my alley! I love that you had a little vignette to raffle!! What a great opportunity to talk about what you love and inspire people 🙂
    Thank you for sharing this!
    Kelle
    xx

5. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    March 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm (6 years ago)

I have the perfect note that my daughter wrote when she was about 5 that I’d love to frame: “I love my Mom, Dad and my hole family” along with a little drawing of our small family. You’ve inspired me Dayka.

6. Danielle {freshquince}
    March 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm (6 years ago)

Wish I could have been there…looks like it was a blast! And that horse scarf is just absolutely fabulous…frame and hang for sure.

7. Sharstin
    March 17, 2011 at 12:06 am (6 years ago)

so fantastic! love!

8. Lori @ Lori May Interiors
    March 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm (6 years ago)

Wonderful post Dayka! So sorry to have missed your presentation last week!

Hope you’re enjoying this beautiful weekend!

9. charm home
    March 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm (6 years ago)

What a great philosophy to live by! I hate that I couldn’t make it to the Mart for the event. It sounds like it was awesome!

10. Brooke's Closet
    March 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm (6 years ago)

i so LUV pillows! And these pillows rock.
    The custom pillows are d’best…