Trash to Treasure

I’m resuming my Trash to Treasure feature and seeking submissions!

Trash to Treasure is a feature where readers submit photos of furniture that they’re not quite sure what to do with and I share my expert advice with recommendations for refinishing and reupholstering. Not sure if that old dresser is a keeper? Send it to me and I’ll selected a handful of colors and fabrics that would work best with your piece, plus I’ll feature it here on my blog.

A reader recently submitted this chair looking for inspiration on how to reinterpret its look for use in a master bedroom project.

This chair is an example of a great Trash to Treasure project because it’s classically designed and has details that you don’t often find in contemporary furniture.  Since the submission didn’t include detail about the reader’s preferences (colors, fabrics), I’ve decided to tackle this project featuring a neutral palette and using these chairs as my inspiration:
Spotted last year at one of my favorite Atlanta furniture boutiques, Armour & Co, their design immediately came to mind when I first saw the photos–classic, detailed, and fresh. First step to achieving this look? Paint!
I’d start by painting the frame a high gloss ebony using Black Magic by Porter Paints (518-7). Black is one of the staple colors I always reach for when refinishing because it goes with almost everything and is neutral enough to allow for any last minute fabric changes (without having to repaint, versus a brighter color).
For fabric, I’d select a linen, burlap, or hemp in Natural, Navy, or Coco (try Lewis & Sheron or Online Fabrics for best prices and selection).  When working with tufted chairs, solid fabrics are often your best best because the tufting can distort and or/deemphasize the print in patterned fabrics. While the current chair design won’t support nailhead trim, having the seat and back reupholstered with integrated deck and back cushions (versus loose cushions) would allow for nailhead trim along the edges.  Confused? Think something along the lines of these chairs, reupholstered by LA-based Interior Designer Vanessa De Vargas .
The paint, fabric, and finish choices selected ensure that chair can be moved from one room to another and add a clean, modern aesthetic without competing with the overall design. What I love most about chairs like these is that they make great occasional pieces because they’re so versatile!
And now it’s your turn! Have something you need help with? Email me at daykarobinson@gmail.com and I’ll feature your piece here!

11 Comments on Trash to Treasure

1. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    January 12, 2011 at 8:13 am (7 years ago)

You know this is a great project. If the person liked the fabric, they could leave it and just repurpose the wood. The fabrics appear to be in excellent condition.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting.

2. Fran
    January 12, 2011 at 8:18 am (7 years ago)

Great series! I look forward to viewing more posts! I would definitely keep this piece – so much potential and I agree sticking with a solid is a wise choice!! I am dying to go to Armour’s store – I saw the owner’s home in BHG May 2010 and I love her style!!

3. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    January 12, 2011 at 11:19 am (7 years ago)

I really like the lines of her chair. The dated brown finish is what really isn’t working. Great tip about using a solid fabric to avoid distorting the pattern, I wouldn’t have thought about that.

4. Dayka (Life +Style)
    January 12, 2011 at 11:41 am (7 years ago)

@Fran-if you’re here in atlanta, it is most definitely worth the trip! jaime is so sweet, and the store gets changed around often, so you never know what beautiful thing you might happen upon! i love her styling, too.

5. Niki McNeill
    January 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm (7 years ago)

Love those chairs! I’m so excited that you’re bringing this feature back 🙂

6. SHERRY HART
    January 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm (7 years ago)

Hi Dayka….even though we just met….I awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award on my post this morning!

7. Katie@Yoga Gal
    January 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm (7 years ago)

Great news!

So, are you snowed in? Atlanta is frozen, how crazy is that! Huntsville got 9 inches and I think that school is going to be out for the rest of the week.

8. Erika at BluLabel Bungalow
    January 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm (7 years ago)

Great inspiration from Armour and Co. Love anything high gloss black or that features a natural linen.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting made a great suggestion as well if the fabric is still in good shape. It’ll be a matter of sourcing coordinating fabric.

Looking forward to more features like this. Very inspiring!

9. Averill
    January 13, 2011 at 12:22 am (7 years ago)

Those chairs have wonderful lines and I think the linen is an excellent suggestion. I do hope you show an “after” sometime soon!

January 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm (7 years ago)

Dayka – glad your back blogging I missed you! and I love this series trash to treasure – as always great ideas!