Trash to Treasure: Vintage Sofa

Stacy, a reader from Wisconsin, sent in a photo of this amazing vintage sofa (that she found for $30), looking for reupholstery inspiration.

I absolutely love this sofa because it’s such a classic design and reminds me a bit of an English Roll Arm sofa, with its low profile arms and traditional lines. You also can’t beat the $30 price tag!
Stacy has some serious upholstery skills so she’ll actually be taking this one on herself which would seem impossible, except she’s behind this transformation :
Incredible, right? So here are my recommendations to upgrade her sofa:
For a great print, chose Mill Creek Indoor/Outdoor Felton Shadow via Fabric.com, $8.98/yd. This small print won’t be disturbed by the channeling on the back, and looks great from a distance.
Another great punchy print with an ethnic design is Thom Filicia’s Euclid in Apricot (via Calico Corners). It’s a bit pricier at $54.99 (currently 20% off!), but worth the investment for the drama.
And as much as I love the idea of casters on a sofa, it’s clear that the casters seen here can’t support the weight of the sofa (see the slight sag in the middle?), so I’d recommend adding feet to support the weight.  My favorite choices from Table Legs include these:
Large Tahoe Bun Feet ($23.50 in Black Walnut), for a modern, more streamlined look.
Bell Bun Feet ($19.95 in Black Walnut), for a traditional look, similar to what you’d find on the English Roll Arm.
And that’s it! With just a few changes, this sofa can go from modern contemporary like this Templeton sofa from Jonathan Adler,
to modern traditional like this Kennedy sofa from Jayson Home & Garden!
Reupholstering furniture is so much fun, especially when you’re able to do it on a one-of-a-kind piece. Good luck, Stacey–let me know how it goes!

12 Comments on Trash to Treasure: Vintage Sofa

1. TamStyles
    January 27, 2011 at 3:03 am (7 years ago)

that 30 dollar sofa is off the hook. wow what a deal. so many great options.

2. autumn
    January 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm (7 years ago)

great ideas! and you are so right..seeing furniture get transformed through reupholstery is so great. i still haven’t touched my thirst store wing backs yet, but i can’t wait to get them redone.

January 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm (7 years ago)

This is going to be a fun project!! So cool to hear she’s taking this on herself! wow — It would also look amazing in a Kelly green fabric

4. hammeneggs
    January 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm (7 years ago)

Hi Dayka ~ Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! I’m hunting for fabric options right NOW! I will be sure to send along the after shots.

5. AB HOME Interiors
    January 28, 2011 at 11:26 am (7 years ago)

Holy crap that is an awesome sofa and I love that chair!!!!

6. L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys
    January 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm (7 years ago)

great ideas Dayka! I can’t wait to see what she comes up with!

Oh, and I heard you and Brian were in Calico Corners;-)

Have a great weekend!

7. Beej
    January 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm (7 years ago)

Way to go Stace – you really are a much needed inspiration for so many people – whatever you do will be fantastic – cant wait to see!!

8. Tiffany @ Savor Home
    January 30, 2011 at 8:33 am (7 years ago)

Can’t believe she got that for just $30! You gave her some great recommendations. Love that you could get that fabric for just $8!

9. Erika at BluLabel Bungalow
    February 3, 2011 at 8:57 am (7 years ago)

Whoa, $30 is an amazing deal. I found it hilarious that it sits on casters found on an office chair!

Stacy does have some SERIOUS upholstery skills! Good thing for her that she lives in Wisconsin. I would be worrying her about my stuff right about now!

Stacy, please come back and share what you’ve done with this piece!

10. Sharstin
    February 4, 2011 at 1:11 am (7 years ago)

that sofa is fantastic! and i love all of your recommendations! i want to see the outcome for sure!

11. classic • casual • home
    February 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm (7 years ago)

I love seeing furniture getting a new or “extended” life.
    Mary Ann