Meet My Boss.

I’m lucky enough to not only know Brian Patrick Flynn of Decor Demon, but I get to call him boss too.  To all of you who love his work, yeshe is as fabulous in real life as he is in print!

A few months back Brian, generous heart that he is, volunteered his time to partner with TeachersCount, a nonprofit organization that serves to create a culture of appreciation for teachers throughout the US.  TeachersCount was awarded a grant by the Staples Foundation, and Brian volunteered to make over a Rhode Island teacher’s lounge on only $7,000.  You might think that’s a lot of dough, but wait until you see the space he was working with. His design was so stunning, it was even featured in this New York Times article a few days ago.  He took one of the lounges from this . . . .

to this

Sarah Dorio

on that tiny budget, with a whole lotta goodness in-between. And oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he did it all via TEXT MESSAGE with the teachers–he never set foot in the space until install day!  I would be surprised, but then again, this is the same guy that thinks of stuff like this

and doesn’t even have to put the concept down on paper.  Brian also recently joined the HGTV Design Happens team, which means you’ll get to read his insightful & beautiful posts featuring gender-balanced designs on a weekly basis.  He has an amazing (and super sweet) photographer named Sarah Dorio, which means that all of his photos are newsstand (and not to mention drool) worthy.  Brian is brilliant, funny, kind, easy on the eyes, and trust me, you need to see his portfolio.  I’m so proud to know this guy!!

Click here to read his first HGTV blog post.
Click here to see one of my favorite BPF designs.

11 Comments on Meet My Boss.

1. Sharstin
    September 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm (7 years ago)

wow! that is awesome that you get to work with him! he is amazing! love that space that he transformed–so lovely~

2. Averill
    September 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm (7 years ago)

Super fabulous. It’s hip and fun and I love the yellow and gray palette. Way to go Dayka’s boss! 😉

3. L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys
    September 24, 2010 at 8:42 am (7 years ago)

How cool is that girl?!?! I love his work! Make sure you take plenty of notes from his because I would consider him the teacher of all teachers when it comes to design! You were definitely in the right place at the right time! No luck there!

4. theLENNOXX
    September 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm (7 years ago)

What a truly GREAT post Dayka! I hadn’t seen the work of either Brian nor Sarah before, and I’m so happy you “introduced us” to them both. I can’t believe that ultimately chic room is the same as that drab teachers lounge.. That’s just insane!

xo Linda

5. Erika at BluLabel Bungalow
    September 24, 2010 at 6:20 pm (7 years ago)

This is really a big deal! So proud of Brian and excited for you to be able to work with such a talent!

6. Beth@The Stories of A2Z
    September 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm (7 years ago)

How fantastic is this??? Congrats!!! I look forward to hearing about all you glean from his fabulousness and seeing the dynamic combination of the two of you together. On a side note, I miss you in my life. I was soooo hoping that I would get to see you in NYC :(.

7. alison (semi-fab lane)
    September 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm (7 years ago)

that’s great that you have been given the opportunity to work with him, you will definitely learn a ton. love his work, thanks for introducing me to his work.

8. Kelle Dame
    September 27, 2010 at 11:34 pm (7 years ago)

I have never wanted to hang out in a teachers lounge so badly!! So fresh and fun! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m off to look at his portfolio.

9. Stephanie Sabbe
    September 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm (7 years ago)

wow! block walls never looked so chic. love it!

10. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    October 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm (7 years ago)

This shows what you can do when you have talent. This dude has talent.