TGIF.

In 1997, I had just graduated from law school (with tons of student-loan debt) and was interviewing for high-paying positions at big firms. The problem was, my heart wasn’t in it. So I took myself out of the running in order to build a small Internet publishing company with a friend. After a year of barely staying afloat, our venture went the way of a 404 ERROR message. I was broke and unemployed, and Sallie Mae was hot on my tail. I wondered what endeavor I should try next.
It sounds crazy, but once again I decided I should just throw caution to the wind and do what I wanted.  I began working as a trial attorney for the US Department of Justice. Over the next few years, I held a wide array of fascinating jobs that I took because they captured my imagination: serving in the military, reporting from Iraq for the Washington Post, and, most recently, becoming a full-time author. Some might consider me flighty for changing careers so often, but I contend that they key to professional happiness is asking yourself two simple questions everyday: Are you passionate about what you do? And if not, what are you going to do instead?

Bill Murphy Jr., author of The Intellegent Entreprenuer (via Real Simple)

11 Comments on TGIF.

1. Laura @ Just a Little Bit
    August 27, 2010 at 9:53 am (7 years ago)

Oh this is just perfect today. I am a full-time web designer, and I hate it. I have been utterly depressed over the fact that I’m stuck, but these little bits of knowledge from those who are successful today help me along.

Thank you for sharing.

2. Kirsten Krason
    August 27, 2010 at 10:04 am (7 years ago)

This was the most perfect quote ever. Thanks for sharing!

3. Dayka (Life +Style)
    August 27, 2010 at 10:14 am (7 years ago)

so glad you guys loved it!! i love my friday posts, and if i do nothing else during the week (as in the last few days), i make sure to get this done. we all have such layered lives in unique ways, and i love to hunt for quotes that speak to me (and in turn, speak to you) to keep pushing, planning, and reaching. have a great weekend!

4. autumn
    August 27, 2010 at 10:56 am (7 years ago)

lovely picture and lovely quote.
    i think it is brave of people to break away from their career to do something they are passionate about. is there anything more depressing than spending 40 hours a week doing something you loathe?
    i think the world would be a happier place if there were more *brave people in it.
    🙂
    have a great weekend!

5. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    August 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm (7 years ago)

Excellent advice. Job satisfaction is everything. I wish I’d followed my heart when I was in college instead of choosing a career to make my parents happy.

6. niki.mac
    August 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm (7 years ago)

So very true – there is no set path, no matter what you want to do!

7. Kim@Chattafabulous
    August 29, 2010 at 10:04 pm (7 years ago)

Great quote. I feel inspired (and passionate!!)

8. Joi
    August 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm (7 years ago)

I don’t know what’s better…the quote or the absolutely gorgeous photo! Love them both!

9. Indie.Tea
    September 2, 2010 at 1:44 am (7 years ago)

I’m going to heading off to grad school one day soon…I think these words are inspirational but at the same time, given where I am in life…a little scary as well!

10. Kalyn Johnson
    September 2, 2010 at 10:15 am (7 years ago)

Great post – I am a formerly practicing lawyer, now doing what I love – writing, working as a fashion stylist and starting a stationery company. I don’t miss practicing law at all, but I do miss: the money; the support staff; and being around really smart people. People say, “Do what you love and the money will follow”. Fingers crossed!!

Stylishly yours,