TGIF.

Tobi Fairley

Please take a moment to read this excerpt from Darren Hardy, publisher of Success magazine, about perspective & failure.  It’s a great reminder to be thankful for what we do have–life.

We all get knocked down from time to time—it’s part of what makes life interesting… always keeping us alert and on our toes.
I recently shared a perspective in a keynote presentation I did that helped reshape my view of obstacles and life’s difficulties; this might help you too…
My wife’s best friend has a friend whose husband, I am embarrassed to say, I envied. He had the life I wanted. We are close in age and both came from the Bay Area of San Francisco.
After several failed businesses, he started an electronics store called “Jacks.” The stores were relatively successful and were bought out for a good sum. He then invested that money into commercial real estate in the San Diego Valley, before the boom. He ended up owning several buildings that made him tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions.
We would go to his parties at the home he custom built in Rancho Santa Fe (one of the richest ZIP codes in the county). The home, estate really, was more than 10,000 square feet on an amazing piece of sprawling land and it was designed in just the style I love.
His cars were amazing and he also had a yacht in the harbor and a private plane. He was also a good-looking guy and had a beautiful family he adored and who adored him. He was warm, friendly and always the life of the party. I wanted his life. In my head (privately, of course) I would wish I was Gary Boyd.
A year and a half ago he had a cough that became increasingly worse. When he went to the doctor he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He never smoked, lived relatively healthy—it was completely unexpected. He had finally arrived, was living the life he never could have imagined, and then this.
His family had to watch him slowly and painfully wither away until he finally died seven months ago.
Now, every day I say, thank God I am not Gary Boyd.
Here is the point: No matter what obstacle I encounter now, no matter what setback I experience, I have a whole new perspective on just how “catastrophic” the situation really is. If I take a risk and am embarrassed, if I call someone and they reject me, if I lose a bunch of money in an investment, if I wreck my car, lose my house (not that I have!), no matter what obstacle comes my way, I say, “At least I am not Gary Boyd.”
Point is, as long as you are on the right side of the dirt, no obstacle really matters.

16 Comments on TGIF.

1. Full House
    July 30, 2010 at 9:55 am (7 years ago)

Such a good reminder indeed. Thank you for sharing that Dayka.

2. niki.mac
    July 30, 2010 at 11:33 am (7 years ago)

So so true! I had an eye opening moment like this earlier this week – makes you remember to thankful for my life, the good and the bad!

3. Destination Seaborn
    July 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm (7 years ago)

What a great reminder of what’s really important! Have a good weekend! Lisa

4. Design Esquire
    July 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm (7 years ago)

I really like that passage, and I completely agree. I just said to my mother-in-law this week, “as long as no one is dead, we can work it out.” We both have had a lot on our plates, and it’s good to get some perspective on what’s really important.

5. Sharstin
    July 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm (7 years ago)

thanks girly! so true–and inspiring~ i am in love with that beautiful image as well~

6. L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys
    July 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm (7 years ago)

Love this girl! Not just the picture, but the story itself. It’s not all about how much someone has.

Thanks for sharing this!

And that picture is PERFECTION!

7. theLENNOXX
    July 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm (7 years ago)

What a great inspirational story. Thank you so much for sharing this Dayka, we all need to be reminded from time to time (although I’m sorry it took Gary’s life for Darren to realize this).

On another note; Happy Friday!

xo Linda

8. Averill
    July 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm (7 years ago)

A good reminder that nothing short of death is really the end of the world!

And I love that dresser…so cute.

9. Doug Eash
    July 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm (7 years ago)

If Gary knew the Lord as his savior, that is knew his sin’s were forgiven and he was saved by the blood of jesus and had went to his heavenly home, than Darren should still envy Gary. Something to think about Huh?

10. Stephanie Sabbe
    July 30, 2010 at 5:36 pm (7 years ago)

Good food for thought and I love that image.

11. Kirsten Krason
    July 30, 2010 at 7:23 pm (7 years ago)

That image is amazing. It looks so pretty with your blog background.

12. Milk and Honey Home
    July 30, 2010 at 8:22 pm (7 years ago)

I like your blog…and I especially love everything about Atlanta. I was at Pieces that night, too. Love your pictures! Julie

13. AB HOME Interiors
    July 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm (7 years ago)

I love it! The right side of the dirt! Thank GOD I am not Gary Boyd! Great post, Dayka!
    xo
    amanda

14. Hello Lover...
    August 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm (7 years ago)

Love the image and great article. We all tend to get so caught up in the little obstacles in life which really in the grand scheme of things will make very little difference in the part of our life that truly matters.