The Joys of Internet Dating.

By now, you DO know that this is my term for a blogger meet-up, right??

Friendships in the blog world are amazing, and yet a bit like internet dating because the process is much of the same. Think about it–you see (or read about, in this case) someone you think you might like, start to exchange comments with that person, slowly working your way towards private emails.  Suddenly emails begin to exchange more often. Then you schedule a face-to-face “date” where you spend the hours (or minutes, in some cases) seeing if there’s a connection, after which you  decide whether you want to see the person again or “keep looking”.  Very similar, right?  I told you.

Well this past week(end) I was able to meet up with Nashville-based Interior Designer (and boutique owner) Amanda Burdge of AB Home Interiors, and I would have to call our meet up a successful “date”. Think I’m fibbing? Here’s some proof.

(Photo via David Naugle of Naugleworks; taken @ Pieces)

Amanda and I have become email/blog friends over the last few months through her blog, AB Home Interiors, and when she graciously offered to show me around the 2010 Atlanta Gift & Home Furnishings Market (commonly known as “Market”) in exchange for my showing her my fabulous city, I had an offer I couldn’t pass up.

For those of you who know Amanda from her blog, she is as beautiful, smart, and witty in the flesh!  Not only did she take 2 days to show me the ins and outs of Market (the details of which I will share in the coming days), but we talked incessantly about the business of design, blogging, retail merchandising, friendships and much of the like. She’s lived in several states and has a great understanding of the various geographic cultures of design, in addition to an immense knowledge of the business itself.  Not only is she a friend, but she’s someone I would also consider to be a business mentor.  As a new designer painstakingly creating my own brand, I value the advice of other successful people whom I trust and with whom I feel a mutuality.  Needless to say, Amanda definitely fits the bill.

Want to know what we did for 2.5 days?  Well here’s the skinny . . .

We attended a private party honoring Jonathan Adler thrown by Lee Kleinhelter from the ΓΌberfabulous Atlanta boutique, Pieces.

We ate.

(This turkey burger from Flip Burger Boutique is perhaps the best one you will taste in your life.  It even has pomegranate ketchup . . . YUM.)

We shopped.

And shopped a bit more.

And she kept me from hitting pedestrians and driving on the wrong side of the street because I was too busy trying to stay engaged in our conversation (Amanda, I really am a great driver!).

Sounds like fun times, right? You bet.  Stay tuned for more details about our “date” and the tips you must know before attending any wholesale gift/home furnishings market!

12 Comments on The Joys of Internet Dating.

1. JIN
    July 19, 2010 at 7:42 am (7 years ago)

LOL…GLAD YOU TWO HAD A GREAT “DATE”…LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME – HOPE YOU’RE DOING WELL

2. niki.mac
    July 19, 2010 at 11:30 am (7 years ago)

Glad I could be the 3rd wheel for a part of your date! πŸ˜‰

Flip Burger is sooooo good! I definitely have to go back soon.

And those chairs! OMG…

3. Rosalynn
    July 19, 2010 at 11:55 am (7 years ago)

Looks like you guys had a great time. I think I may need to try that burger. It looked yummy!

July 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm (7 years ago)

Looks like so much fun! Can’t wait to see more pics of the adventure you too had. No fair, There are many east coast bloggers, in Blogland πŸ™‚

5. Averill
    July 19, 2010 at 2:55 pm (7 years ago)

What a wonderful date! And I totally agree: meeting blogging friends is a lot like meeting potential dates online. A bit scary, but the payoff can be huge! (Case in point: I met my husband on Match!)

6. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    July 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm (7 years ago)

Glad your “date” went well and that you had a great time. I’ve yet to meet any other design bloggers in the flesh. Looking forward to hearing more about your time together.

7. Sharstin
    July 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm (7 years ago)

sounds like such a great time! i have seen amanda’s blog–so cute~!

8. AB HOME Interiors
    July 19, 2010 at 6:07 pm (7 years ago)

Ha! Good driver my butt!! Great post. Jamm crammed with all sorts of good stuff…including myself, the best part… of course! LOL! I still have so much more to post about. This may be the longest drawn out blog post I will attempt!!

BTW-the burger looks de-lish! Im ready to go back!

9. L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys
    July 20, 2010 at 7:12 am (7 years ago)

Oh wow this sound like you guys had a ball! Yeah, it is always nice to meet people!

Oh and this wasn’t the post i was talking about yesterday…

10. K. Rock
    July 20, 2010 at 8:59 am (7 years ago)

I love when bloggers meet and hook up together. Looks like you guys had a good time!!

11. Deliciously Organized
    July 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm (7 years ago)

What a fun date! And I love that picture of you! Super sassy and looking good!