The Power of Intuition

I’m up late Monday night, thinking about the Power of Intuition and crafty ways to write this post that I want to share.  I wanted to tout Laurie Ann Goldman’s accomplishments as the former Head of Worldwide Licensing for Coca-Cola, and all that she’s done in only 8 years as CEO of SPANX (read more about that here), but as these hours are ticking on, I’m coming up with a blank.  So let me start by telling you what I do know.  I believe that when you’re where you’re supposed to be, the road will rise to meet you, and I believe that to be true for career, life and relationships.  I debated for a bit as to whether I was going to attend this event, because I had so much school work to do (as always), but decided at the last minute to go.  When I got to the event and realized that it was going to be about The Power of Intuition instead of Shaping and Expanding a Brand, I’ll admit I was a bit disappointed.  Still, I stayed planted in my front row seat, ready to transcribe her words of wisdom.  In the end, I’m glad I stayed because I think I got more insight from this topic than I would’ve if she had actually discussed branding.  Understanding and harnessing this thing called intuition isn’t just about business, but about life itself.

(Unfortunately this blurry image does her no justice, but let me tell you, her outfit was very fab.)

Laurie Ann made some great points throughout her dialogue, and shared some interesting reflections about her childhood experiences and how they shaped her career path (and her old way of thinking).  The points that stood out the most to me were:

1.  The Power of Intuition is your greatest asset and lives thru any/everything that you do, but it needs structure & support to reach its potential.  Don’t obsess over facts & ignore that voice deep inside of you.  If you really believe something is right/wrong, it probably is.
2.  True creativity is the courage to let go of what you know and is at the heart of every business through the acts of innovative thinking and researching new solutions.
3.  It’s okay to set the destination, but you don’t have to have a tight grip on the journey–sometimes the windy road is the only one that will get you there.
4.  Don’t look for perfection in making a decision, because it rarely exists.
5.  Continue to ask questions, most importantly to yourself (and/or your business)–Did I get results?  Am I growing and changing?  Always remember that if it can be measured, it can improve.
6.  Know when it’s time to let go and move on to the next thing (big idea, new opportunity, etc)–don’t get so attached to the “golden apple” that you can’t see beyond it.

Are all of these concepts new to me? Not necessarily, but again, I think that when you’re in alignment with where you’re supposed to be, you can hear an idea that means something different than what it used to, or a word that nudges you and encourages you to examine your situation in a different light.  As I’m making the preparations to officially start my design business, I relish the opportunity to learn from those who know the road because they’ve walked it before.  If you haven’t read her bio by now, you should take a look–she’s the real deal and she’s a mom of 3!

Laurie Ann Goldman & Sara Blakely via Flickr

In parting, here’s great video I recently found through Success magazine (which I highly recommend!), where Sara Blakely talks about success, failure, and intuition.  Enjoy!

Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx, on Failure

18 Comments on The Power of Intuition

1. The Zhush
    May 11, 2010 at 8:08 am (7 years ago)

Your post moved and touched me so much! Just what I needed to read this morning. Will be exploring all your links as well! Thanks!

2. L. Duncan
    May 11, 2010 at 8:28 am (7 years ago)

I enjoyed this post! I’m actually doing a quick run through in my blogger dash board this morning, but will definitely come back to see this video!

I’m so happy for you in continuing to follow your dreams!

3. JIN
    May 11, 2010 at 9:35 am (7 years ago)

INTUITION IS A HELL OF A THING – I DON’T KNOW WHY WE OFTEN IGNORE OUR “GUT FEELINGS”…I’M LEARNING TO LISTEN TO IT BETTER. THIS IS A VERY UPLIFTING POST, CERTAINLY ONE OF MY FAVORITES 🙂

4. Haven and Home
    May 11, 2010 at 1:27 pm (7 years ago)

Such an inspiring post. I love all the points she made and I am goign to take them with me.

5. Tamstyles
    May 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm (7 years ago)

great post! I enjoyed the read.

6. Flavia @ Estilo Home
    May 11, 2010 at 2:43 pm (7 years ago)

These points are great reminders. I have found time and time again that my gut is always right. Great post!

7. Post Grad Hair Cut
    May 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm (7 years ago)

This is a great post. I always turn to people I feel are successful for inspiration in transitions in my life.

8. autumn
    May 11, 2010 at 6:07 pm (7 years ago)

intriguing post. i really enjoyed it. i think i sometimes leave intuition in the realm of all things NOT related to business, so it was great to see how it can really help to shape and mold a career. i especially enjoyed your comments about the road coming to meet you if/when things are right.
    i think that is so true.
    thanks for really making me THINK today!

9. Full House
    May 11, 2010 at 11:37 pm (7 years ago)

How many times do I get attached to the golden apple, that i can’t see beyond it.

I’m so glad you took notes and shared this with us…

xx – Christina

10. Jackie
    May 11, 2010 at 11:45 pm (7 years ago)

What an insightful post-thank you so much for sharing your experience!

xo

11. Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow
    May 12, 2010 at 2:24 pm (7 years ago)

what a powerful message! thanks dayka for sharing with us. i’m headed over to read laurie ann’s bio!

12. TowardstheHorizon
    May 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm (7 years ago)

I don’t think I’ve ever commented on your blog, but this is such an inspiring post about a phenomenal women. Thank you for attending and sharing. You’ve blessed many of us who weren’t fortunate enough to attend. I really look forward to reading her biography!

May 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm (7 years ago)

What a wonderfull message and congrats in starting yuor journey!

14. charmaine
    May 15, 2010 at 7:41 am (7 years ago)

Such an inspiring post. Thanks Dayka!

15. Celina
    May 17, 2010 at 8:32 pm (7 years ago)

Wow, I really needed to read that at this very moment. Thanks for sharing some profound words of wisdom.