All About . . . Windsor Chairs

Windsor chairs have really been catching my eye lately!  Clearly these 300+ year old chairs aren’t new to the scene, but there’s something about their inherent simplicity that gets my interior design ideas flowing.

This bench/settee would look great in an eat-in kitchen paired with a rectangular or square table.

Love this crisp sky blue against the espresso table.
Characterized by a saddle shaped seat, turned legs with stretchers, and a spindle back, the Windsor chair originated in England in the 1700s.  Initially painted green and used as an outdoor chair, its American counterpart (built in Philadelphia) became known worldwide.  The most common backs are the curved bow or loop back, the comb back (seen in image #7), and the pierced splat (image #2)

Love this fresh color combination.

Often times chairs of a similar style can be found on Craigslist for relatively cheap, but you’ll notice that these chairs have a bit more detail, specifically on the legs and back,  that set them apart from the common reproduction.  Because I believe in mixing pieces and styles, I see these chairs as a great addition to almost any interior style!  What about you–would you buy a Windsor chair??

14 Comments on All About . . . Windsor Chairs

1. Chateau 809
    May 3, 2010 at 8:49 am (8 years ago)

Love how the blue looks!

2. charmaine
    May 3, 2010 at 10:33 am (8 years ago)

I love the blue chairs! They look so nice and fresh!

3. niki.mac
    May 3, 2010 at 12:18 pm (8 years ago)

Being a southerner makes me love the rocking chair version of these – I grew up seeing them on front (and back!) porches. I’d definitely buy one! 🙂

4. autumn
    May 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm (8 years ago)

i really like those pieces that are super transitional, and the windsor chair is one of those. i really like them painted–so much more than when they are wood.
    i would buy one, for sure, but i would paint that sucker a really fun color!

May 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

I like them painted – they just look so much better, we had them with our dining room table – but gave them to a friend. I just wanted a but more modern/traditional dining chairs for our dining room

6. Dreams of Perfection
    May 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm (8 years ago)

I like them blue and the way they are set up in the Martha Stewart image is very pretty too. But honestly, I see them all over the place here in Tn & I can’t take it anymore. Although done up like the blue I can appreciate them a little more.

7. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    May 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm (8 years ago)

I love your inspiration pics. I had a cheap k-mart farm table with Windsor chairs during my poor college days and although the quality was crappy, I loved them. I’m more of a ladderback chair kinda girl now, but can still appreciate a good Windsor.

8. MarytheKay
    May 5, 2010 at 1:08 am (8 years ago)

Oh, I do love a Windsor chair! They remind me of my grandmother’s chairs…

My favorite picture is the last one–the white! the colors! Perfect!

I didn’t know all of the Windsor chair history–thanks.

9. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    May 5, 2010 at 6:46 pm (8 years ago)

My first kitchen chairs were windsor style chairs. I still have them in the basement. I may just have to grab a can of paint and get to work.

10. L. Duncan
    May 6, 2010 at 11:05 am (8 years ago)

Oh yes girl! I can see them in my kitchen! White cabinets, black counter tops, and blue chairs…SWOON! I could also see one in red in the boys bedroom…Too Cute!

So yeah I like them!!!

11. Tamstyles
    May 7, 2010 at 7:44 am (8 years ago)

I dont think these chairs fall in line with my style, but these photos are great.

12. LindsB
    May 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm (8 years ago)

I am loving the blue ones! Its such a fresh look for a classic chair.

13. Tonia {Chic Modern Vintage}
    May 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm (8 years ago)

Hummmm, I’m thinking if I had a country home, they would work great ‘specially painted say…a sky blue?

14. Anonymous
    March 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm (7 years ago)

Maybe you’ll want to place a facebook icon to your blog. I just bookmarked this site, but I must complete it manually. Simply my $.02 🙂