School

Seeing this . . .

Rows upon rows of fabric swatches . . .

Aisles of shelving filled with carpet samples . . .

More fabric . . .

And even more fabric.

is like like candy for my little eyes (not to mention the wallpaper, tile, wood, laminate, paint, corian, granite, and silestone samples, too!).  So much to touch, see, and experience. I love it!

My first week of school was great.  I found that waking up for 8 am classes (and a 30 minute commute) isn’t all that bad when it’s a class you love.  Biology at 8 am, on the other hand, is not so much fun!  I found myself double and triple checking my alarm to make sure that it was set for 6 am and not pm, as I have been known to do.  I would be PISSED if I missed one of my classes, and that’s a wonderful feeling
White kitchen-diner

The biggest “ah-ha” of the week is that I see that up to this point, I’ve really taken for granted all of the behind the scenes work that comes along with interior design.  Selecting material and picking out furniture is just the tip of the iceberg, but it’s the specifications that really make a project–what’s more important than the canvas???  Having the right vendors, knowing the precise measurements, understanding the “hows” and “whys” of products, and having a total game plan are what really make or break great design.  A poorly executed design, no matter how great the concept, will never hit the mark!

Black gloss

So for those of you who have emailed and asked, school is off to a great start, and I’m excited about the different projects I’ll be working on this quarter (there are 5 major ones).  I’m a person who loves education (when it’s a topic I’m interested in), so I embrace both conventional and unconventional learning.  If you’re interested in Interior Design and have been thinking about testing the waters by taking a class, I would encourage you to do so!  A good class (or program) can only help to refine what’s already in you!

**Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for the custom stamp from Lettergirl.  Your opportunity to win ends Friday, April 9!!
Natalie Address Stamp (Self-inking)

You know you want it . . . .   đŸ™‚

32 Comments on School

1. Southern Aspirations
    April 6, 2010 at 8:13 am (8 years ago)

congrats on the start to school! ANd my heartbeat accelerated just looking at all that fabric. SO fun!

2. charmaine
    April 6, 2010 at 8:32 am (8 years ago)

Exciting! I’d probably be a little intimidated by all those swatches and samples. But I hear you, I’d definately trade my medical books for design books.

3. Mr. Goodwill Hunting
    April 6, 2010 at 8:34 am (8 years ago)

Congratulations on school! I am sooo excited for you. I know you are going to do well. My mother started in 1997 and finished up about 2 years ago. Many degrees later. Keep me updated on your progress.

Look at the bed I scored on my blog.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

4. Sarah
    April 6, 2010 at 9:42 am (8 years ago)

Love hearing about your school! Keep us in the loop! It’s an idea I’ve toyed with too, so you are pushing me towards it:)

5. Claire Watkins, ASID allied
    April 6, 2010 at 10:07 am (8 years ago)

When I first read this, I thought that image was the source library at your school and I was about to apply myself! You’re already a dynamo, but you’re about to be a triple threat!

6. Sharstin
    April 6, 2010 at 10:10 am (8 years ago)

that is so fun!! can’t wait to hear more about it!

7. Dayka (Life +Style)
    April 6, 2010 at 10:11 am (8 years ago)

Thank you! I was overwhelmed when I walked into the room, but I love my classes that are in this room–how can you not get some inspiration here??

Claire–this is the actual resource room!! crazy, right?

8. autumn
    April 6, 2010 at 10:47 am (8 years ago)

i could look at fabric all day! and that resource room is fantastic! ours was about 1/10th the size, AND there was no internet when i was going to school. wow. that makes me feel old.
    anyway, glad things are off to a good start! you are going to do great. if you love what you are learning, it makes the journey seem fun.
    and i hear you on the alarm thing—if i ever have to wake up extra early for something, i set my alarm, as well as THREE separate alarms on my iphone!

9. The Zhush
    April 6, 2010 at 11:22 am (8 years ago)

SUCH an inspiring post! Will be starting an online class at F.I.T. myself this month! Good luck, it sounds like you are off to a great start!

10. Tammy@InStitches
    April 6, 2010 at 11:35 am (8 years ago)

I’m so excited for you ! You’re right, as a designer you will only be as good as your trades people.

11. alissa
    April 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm (8 years ago)

Glad that you are enjoying school Dayka!

12. alissa
    April 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm (8 years ago)

Forgot one thing I wanted to tell you – if your school has a student chapter of either IIDA or ASID it’s a great opprotunity for networking. Plus, if you join as a student when you graduate you will be able to transfer your membership to an allied member at a discounted rate. You become a professional member when you pass the NCIDQ. Just something I did when I was in school WAY back in the 90s!

13. AB HOME Interiors
    April 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm (8 years ago)

Im so proud of you! And yes MOST people have NO IDEA what it takes to be a designer. They think we do “pretty stuff” and “fluff pillows” all day. Great design is reflected with a precisely executed plan and baby sitting. There is so much organization and coordination to orchestrate what we do. And if you don’t stay on top of EVERY detail something will fall through the cracks and become a costly mistake!

14. Tamstyles
    April 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm (8 years ago)

I am JELLY>>….good for you girl. My day shall come.

15. Flavia @ Estilo Home
    April 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm (8 years ago)

That is an amazing resource room! How fun! Good luck with classes. I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

16. paula
    April 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm (8 years ago)

looks so exciting! I am sure you will do one fabulous job.

17. Dreams of Perfection
    April 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm (8 years ago)

I still can’t get over how chic your page is! Everything about it is “The BomB”! And glad to hear school is going so good :o) Congrats on your followers!! I bet they triple these next couple of months..I got $5 on it..lol

18. Dayka (Life +Style)
    April 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm (8 years ago)

i so appreciate all of your comments! it’s funny how some of the things you think people may not want to hear can get such a great response!

19. Averill
    April 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm (8 years ago)

Congrats on starting school! I’ve definitely thought about taking a course or two in interior design (though I don’t think I want to bother with an entire degree program). What school are you attending and how did you find out about it?

20. thelennoxx
    April 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm (8 years ago)

Oh, your school looks like heaven! I’m looking forward to your upcoming posts on here, they are destined to be fantastic!

21. ashlina
    April 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm (8 years ago)

nothing is better that design school!!! it was my favorite time of life!!!
    enjoy it sweets!
    xoxoxox

22. JIN
    April 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm (8 years ago)

CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL – I’M SO HAPPY THAT YOU’RE FOLLOWING YOUR PASSION

23. Kirsten Sue
    April 6, 2010 at 11:19 pm (8 years ago)

How exciting!! I graduate in a couple of weeks and it is bittersweet. Learning about Interior Design has been hard but so so so rewarding.

24. L. Duncan
    April 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm (8 years ago)

YES YES YES!!!! Oh, Dayka (can I call you Day?!), I love this. I can’t wait to start myself! Please include more post about school on your blog! I’m glad that you decided to follow your heart. This is a perfect fit for you!

25. P.S. I love this...
    April 7, 2010 at 1:16 am (8 years ago)

I’m so excited for you! Your enthusiasm is infectious, I feel like I want to take a class and if I weren’t already in school, I probably would. I look sooooo forward to learning vicariously through you. When you have your own show on HGTV, I can say, “I knew her when…”

Good luck!

26. Jesse
    April 7, 2010 at 11:36 am (8 years ago)

Such eye candy to look at every day. So much fun!

April 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm (8 years ago)

Talk about a great day!! I’d be all giddy with excitement, looking at all the fabric and wallpaper designs…I’m looking forward to hearing more about school.

28. Destination Seaborn
    April 9, 2010 at 3:51 pm (8 years ago)

Congrats to you! After touching all those fabric swatches, I would definately be in sensory overload (but in a good way!)
    I can’t wait to hear more about school and your projects!

Lisa

29. Deliciously Organized
    April 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm (8 years ago)

100% eye candy! I’m so glad you’re liking it. And I’ve totally done that before, the triple check on a.m. vs p.m. AND the check on my cell to make sure that I actually turned my alarm ON after setting it! Have a wonderful time in your classes!

30. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    April 12, 2010 at 1:30 pm (8 years ago)

Your posts weren’t coming up in my reader and I’m so behind :(. Thrilled that you’re loving school an looking forward to hearing (seeing??) some of your upcoming projects. You have such an amazing innate sense for design so you have a bright career ahead of you!