L.L. Bean-Part II

L.L. Bean’s customer service is ridiculous, and I mean that in the best way.

My bag came a few weeks ago, and I was so excited.  I was just what I ordered, and I loved it.

Except for the fact that it was a bit too big, and it’s totally my fault.  After studying the photo on the website (which, by the way, looks really small) and carrying around a cardboard box that was roughly the size of the bag’s measurements, I decided to order the Boat & Tote in a Large with my monogram.  Unfortunately, when it arrived it ended up being a bit larger than expected.  I called LL Bean’s customer service to see if there was any possible recourse, and I was informed that they accept returns on all items–even those items that are monogrammed!! I have never, especially in this day and age, heard of a company accepting a return on a personalized item, but apparently LL Bean’s policy is 100% satisfaction for every customer, no matter what.  WOW–now that’s what I call ridiculous customer service!  Needless to say, I was all too happy to exchange my bag for the medium, and I’m anxiously awaiting it’s arrival.  Since I’m looking to use it as a smaller tote bag, I think the medium will be better for suited for my purpose.

I know you love this natural light shot, en route to UPS.

And of course, now that I see it like this . . . it doesn’t look so big.  I now see why Raquel didn’t select the bag for me in the beginning–she knows me well enough to know that this back and forth is a definite possibility. 🙂  Thank God for friends who know who you are and love you anyway!

Let’s hope there’s not a part III to this story.

**And to those of you who raved about the sturdiness of this bag, you’re so right–I’ve never seen canvas like this before!!**

16 Comments on L.L. Bean-Part II

1. Dreams of Perfection
    April 1, 2010 at 8:08 am (7 years ago)

I can’t believe they exchanged the bag for you! That is true customer service. I do love the look of the bag. It has a great timeless look to it.

2. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    April 1, 2010 at 8:32 am (7 years ago)

I’ve heard rumors about L.L. Bean being the best. My MIL adores their clothes and homegoods and has always sworn by their products and customer service. Glad you’re going to get the bag you want!

3. Design Esquire
    April 1, 2010 at 8:42 am (7 years ago)

That is awesome! I can’t think of another company that stands behind their products like that.

4. Katie@Yoga Gal
    April 1, 2010 at 8:42 am (7 years ago)

It will last you forever, Dayka, seriously. I have been using mine as a pool bag for 5 years and it looks brand new!

5. Terry
    April 1, 2010 at 9:04 am (7 years ago)

I used our 30 year old Lands End tote on Tuesday. Probably have to put in in our will.

6. AB HOME Interiors
    April 1, 2010 at 9:04 am (7 years ago)

I had one of these bags a few years ago that I used for work. I can’t remember what I did with it…now you have me thinking I need to get another!

7. Sharstin
    April 1, 2010 at 10:04 am (7 years ago)

You can’t beat good customer service! the bag is so cute too!

8. Moni @ CL Journal
    April 1, 2010 at 10:53 am (7 years ago)

Dayka,

I was wondering about the strudiness myself. Every woman on Park Avenue or Central Park West in NYC has one of these bags. You see women with them on the subway as well.

hmm…sturdy huh?

Thanks for the tip regarding the size of bag!

Hope you get your replacement soon! : )

9. L. Duncan
    April 1, 2010 at 11:20 am (7 years ago)

Thats it…I’m getting one of those bags! And the shot of it in the car…SWOON!

10. lisagh
    April 1, 2010 at 11:39 am (7 years ago)

I get a new B & T every year and they are the BEST!!! Coincidentally, I wrote my blog post today about the great spring LLBean tote switchover 🙂

11. shari @ little blue deer
    April 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm (7 years ago)

LOVE the Boat n Tote, it is the hippest bag around. Just a classic, I too have carried mine for years, I use it all the time and it looks so great still! That’s really cool about the return policy, too, I had no idea!

12. autumn
    April 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm (7 years ago)

i didn’t realize it was POSSIBLE to have a bag that is TOO big!
    🙂

13. Dayka (Life +Style)
    April 1, 2010 at 5:53 pm (7 years ago)

@Autumn-being that I wanted to use mine as a school/work bag, it was way too big, but great for the beach.

For those of you who don’t have one, definitely think about getting one! They’re inexpensive ($21 for a medium plus $6 for monogramming) and according to Terry, will last forever!! Can’t wait to see my new one. 🙂

14. Jackie
    April 1, 2010 at 11:57 pm (7 years ago)

I’ve always loved those totes. So classic. Good to hear they have wonderful customer service!

15. paula
    April 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm (7 years ago)

wow, what fabulous customer service.