Am I A Thief???

I think I might be a thief.  Last night I found this sitting outside a Goodwill drop off.

There was a ton of stuff outside, but these two tables caught my eye.

Love the little feet.

They’re both in relatively good condition, and will look great after a little TLC.  It didn’t occur to me until I got home that picking this stuff up could actually classify me a a thief.  I figured it was okay to take for 2 reasons–
1-when I donate things, I do so because I have no longer have use for them and would rather someone else use them then throw the item(s) away.  I will generally try to give things to my neighbors before I donate as well.  The only time I’m really specific is if I’m taking things to a women’s shelter or a children’s group home.  I figured the tables were just things people wanted to get rid of, but not throw away.

2-you’re not supposed to leave the things outside if the truck isn’t open (this was not in front of the store, it was a stand alone donation truck), so I figured the person (or persons) just wanted to get rid of the things “right now”, instead of waiting until they were accepting donations and get a receipt.  This means it’s okay, right?

I think the tables are great, especially the small one, but now I’m wondering . . . am I really a thief???  If you saw great things outside of a closed donation spot (not a retail location), would you take an item if it met your fancy???

26 Comments on Am I A Thief???

1. Kim
    March 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm (8 years ago)

Dayka, I love your honest here – so refreshing. I honestly don’t know what I would do. I see your point though about someone wanting to get rid of it anyway. I’m anxious to see what other comments you get!
    xoxo,
    Kim
    p.s. great tables!

2. this blessed nest
    March 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm (8 years ago)

you are not a thief.
    i totally agree with your points. especially since they left it outside.
    if you regularly donate to them – i think it’s fair for a trade.

i know many even do the “tax write off thing” we don’t. i can never keep up with those receipts. so consider it a tax write off! lol.

can’t wait to see what you do to these little lovelies.

3. Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow
    March 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm (8 years ago)

Dayka, you are hilarious!! That second table is adorable…I’m thinking a dove gray paint?

4. LAKEITHA
    March 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm (8 years ago)

I don’t know about this, but I like the tables!

5. Destination Seaborn
    March 2, 2010 at 12:53 am (8 years ago)

Great tables! I agree with blessed nest, it sounds like a fair trade to me. If you feel bad about it you can always make a “monetary donation” on your next trip to the retail store. Have a good week! Lisa

6. Symone's Mommy
    March 2, 2010 at 1:19 am (8 years ago)

One woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure, huh? 😉

7. Full House
    March 2, 2010 at 1:25 am (8 years ago)

Nope you are not a thief. All of your points are valid. Seriously, when I have pulled up to donation station I have thought about a trade on many occasions:-)

8. theLENNOXX
    March 2, 2010 at 9:37 am (8 years ago)

Hey, you are doing great service to your community by de-littering the streets! Love the tables, the first one is my fave =)

9. paula
    March 2, 2010 at 9:47 am (8 years ago)

ha. I think you are fine. I can’t wait to see what you do with them.

10. Redesign Diva
    March 2, 2010 at 10:27 am (8 years ago)

Ok, I don’t know you so I will say it, THIEF!…I couldn’t stop laughing reading this post. I am crying now..so freakin funny!

They are your snow, and you have a way with sprucing things up, so I can’t wait to see how you glam and rock these joints…roflmbo!

PS this sucked for me, because I have on an oatmeal mask..should have known not to “come a reading”.

11. karen@fitnessjourney
    March 2, 2010 at 10:35 am (8 years ago)

I will forgive you since you are a good thrift store shopper. I’m sure you have spent plenty of your hard earned dollars in the store.

I can’t count the number of times that I went to donate something and no one was at the truck. I have left things behind like you said, I just wanted rid of them.

12. Irene
    March 2, 2010 at 10:42 am (8 years ago)

Nope! You’re not a thief. My thinking is that if the person who left the tables were determined to get the items into the donation truck, they would have waited until the truck was open.

I think you got terrific finds and were totally okay to take them.

13. LAKEITHA
    March 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm (8 years ago)

when I woke up and realized it was raining, I said good thing she got those tables (hee hee)!!! I thought about the day when we were leaving the goodwill and that lady gave me that bleeping wreath. Look at it like this, if you didn’t get them, they would be damaged now!

Have a great day girl!

March 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm (8 years ago)

LOL – your are a very bad person! I could so see myself doing that – lol

Great um score/find!

Note to self drive by Goodwill after hours looking for goodies

15. Sharstin
    March 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm (8 years ago)

ha ha! those are some great finds! can’t wait to see what you do with them:)

16. Adrianna
    March 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm (8 years ago)

Yes your a thief and I’m straight snitchin! LOL..I don’t think you are. It’s not like they were accounted for. If they had been, then maybe you would be. But they weren’t so you’re in the clear right?

17. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    March 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm (8 years ago)

No! I think people who leave things outside of donation centers/ trucks after hours are just trying to get rid of the stuff. They probably went through a cleaning spree and wanted the tables out, but didn’t want to put the effort the next day.

18. Kirsten Sue
    March 2, 2010 at 7:41 pm (8 years ago)

So cool. I can’t wait to see what you do with them!

19. charm home
    March 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm (8 years ago)

Um, I think I would have become a theif too if I had seen those tables. What a great find! I’m sure you will appreciate them more than anyone at Good Will would. You crack me up. LOL. xo, Cristi

20. Miss Mustard Seed
    March 3, 2010 at 8:49 am (8 years ago)

I’m calling the cops! 🙂 Those are awesome tables and I think I may have done the same thing. I can’t wait to see what you do with them.

21. Design Esquire
    March 3, 2010 at 9:22 am (8 years ago)

You are not a thief! If the truck was closed and the person just left the tables outside, they weren’t looking for a charitable deduction, they just wanted the tables to find a new home (which they did!).

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog. I’m so glad I found yours!

22. carlee
    March 3, 2010 at 11:25 am (8 years ago)

I like them a lot. I think you’re totally fine!

23. Q.
    March 4, 2010 at 11:37 am (8 years ago)

man, i’m jealous. ok, so to help you figure this out, if you give me the second table i won’t label you a thief. if you had not taken them the night before, i could’ve purchased them the next morning. then they would be mine. but, if you decide to keep them…duh dun dunn! :+)

24. michelle b
    March 5, 2010 at 2:58 am (8 years ago)

sweet finds!!
    if you’re a thief, i’m part of your club! hee hee!

25. Nikki@kreativeknack.com
    March 12, 2010 at 12:23 pm (8 years ago)

Lol! So funny! I think I would have done the same thing! I agree with one of the ladies above…a dove gray would be gorgeous!