The Joys of Technology

I have one of these.

But I wish I had one of these.

iPhone 3G
It takes me forever to make up my mind in situations where I can choose whatever I want, so I went back and forth between these phones trying to decide which would be right for me.  One of my best friends was the first person I knew who had a Blackberry and she always made it look so cool, so I ended up choosing a Blackberry when I had a choice (shout out to Kim!!).   It was a big upgrade from what I had, but now I wish I would’ve gone with the iPhone.  I mean, I love bbm’ing my friends (that’s Blackberry messaging, for all of you non-blackerry-ans), but that’s about it.  Since I’m technically challenged, I also love the fact that she serves as my personal tech support for all things concerning blackberry, so if there’s ever an issue, I just pick up the phone (or send a quick bbm) and she solves it on the spot.  However, I think the straw broke the proverbial camel’s back hit last night, when I saw this “handy guide” in the March issue of House Beautiful.

I don’t know if this will end up being larger enough to read, but this list of “apps” for the iPhone is ridiculous!  I need about 14 of the 20 listed here, and I know there are probably a million more.  Here are a few I must have:

Ben Color Capture–matches Benjamin Moore paint to an uploaded photo.
ColorSnap–matches colors to Sherwin Williams paint while also providing 2 coordinating colors.
CraigsPro–a girl like me never wants to be too far away from CL.
Dictionary–I like my english to be correct!
iHandy Carpenter–for when I forget my measuring tape (small items only)
Redlaser–scan any barcode and tells you the price in seconds and also tells how much the item costs elsewhere!!!
YardSale Mapper–see all the sales within a 20 mile radius on any given day, and also plan your route!
Shazam–for songs I love but don’t know the artists (like “tender love”, by full force).

I also found out about an app called “Sleep Cycle” on Wouldn’t Stop If I Could.   I’m adding that to the list too.

I need would really like to have this phone, but unfortunately I’ll probably have to ride it out until my bb dies, because what I paid for that was ridiculous.  A girl can dream right???

For all of you iPhone-rs, what are your must have apps???

17 Comments on The Joys of Technology

1. Swtoee1010
    February 4, 2010 at 9:20 am (8 years ago)

I must say, even though I upgraded you from your prior phone to your blackberry, I always feel that you are a iPhone kind of girl at heart. And all of these apps prove it even more!

I won’t be mad if we can’t bbm anymore… πŸ™ there’s always the phone… πŸ™‚

when’s your birthday again?? lol! hmmmm…

2. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    February 4, 2010 at 9:41 am (8 years ago)

well you know how I feel about people with blackberry’s…..they’re lame!!! and I don’t know anyone with an iphone so I’ll just promote my phone:
    I have a pink Palm Centro. half touch screen have qwerty key pad. it make out going calls and I can receive incoming calls. it does everything that a bb can do but better and faster! and I get all of my emails right here to this sucka. AND I can blog from it soooo people with BB (you, tony, rest of the world) get on board with Palm!!! oh and it fell into paint primer and its still working woot woot!

BtW, I wish I had an iPhone!

3. Dayka (Life +Style)
    February 4, 2010 at 10:17 am (8 years ago)

Lakeitha-you mean your phone that dies every 10 minutes??? it’s not even in the running! Thanks, but no thanks . . . i’ll stick with an iPhone!

kim~did you trick me?? who’s going to fix my new phone if you don’t have one????

4. Tamstyles
    February 4, 2010 at 11:00 am (8 years ago)

i have a palm to,…i was “crying” the other day for an iphone. i want one soooo bad.

5. paula
    February 4, 2010 at 11:28 am (8 years ago)

I do think the apps are fun but I am such a blackberry girl:)

February 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm (8 years ago)

I have a BlakcJack – love it. My hushand had a Iphone for many months it was fun to pay with, but he’s too hard on his phone it fell of the sofa onto the floor and cracked – the glass shattered. When mine drops I’m A-Ok…just saying lol

7. Miss Mustard Seed
    February 4, 2010 at 4:58 pm (8 years ago)

My hubby just got an itouch and I could not believe all of the apps available that were perfect for me. Grocery planners, meal planners, weight management, a pedometer, and one of my favorite games, Boggle. I definitely want one some day.

8. autumn
    February 5, 2010 at 1:15 am (8 years ago)

i love my iPhone!
    seriously, it is the best. thing. ever.

i love the map app.
    and the facebook app.
    and i love the game called flight control.
    it’s so addicting, but a ton of fun.

i hope you get one–they are incredible.
    my husband stood in line and bought on on the first day they were available. last february, he upgraded to the 3G, and i got his “old” one. i thought i didn’t really “need” an iPhone, but after the first few days, i was HOOKED.

9. Adrianna
    February 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm (8 years ago)

My phone sucks! I have a touch screen w/ flip open key board. The touch screen doesn’t work & when I get a text and open the phone it cuts off! Verizon needs to step it up seriously. This is my 2nd one too, since the 1st one just burned out completely w/in 2 mos. Next up I will be getting an i-phone. The paint app is every DIY girl’s dream!

10. Adrianna
    February 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm (8 years ago)

11. Danielle @ Transforming Home
    February 5, 2010 at 10:19 pm (8 years ago)

We just got new phones and my husband wanted an iphone so bad, but we decided it was just too much money. I got a cute touch screen phone that has a slide-out keyboard and I love it! Plus, it was less money up front and less per month.
    Hope you have a great weekend!

Danielle

12. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    February 6, 2010 at 4:53 am (8 years ago)

Okay, so I have an itouch which isn’t nearly as sexy as an iphone and I never use the thing. Like never. And since my cell phone looks like it’s from 1990 I really can’t even comment here. But after reading the list of apps I’m sold on the redlaser! OMG! You could totally justify the cost by thinking of how much money you’ll save!!! πŸ˜‰ I say your single without kiddos, go buy yourself an iphone!

13. Katie@Yoga Gal
    February 9, 2010 at 3:02 pm (8 years ago)

I was finally able to buy an IPhone after we moved to a place with AT&T coverage and I am in love with it! Seriously, leave-my-husband-and marry-my-IPhone, in love.

I even blogged about it:

My goto apps are facebook, Google Map, NPR, Alarm Clock, Expedia, Amazon, Phone Flix, Ebay, and White Pages. I use Google Map constantly trying to find places in H’ville.

If you get one, definitely get a hard case and screen protector because although you can get them now for $100, replacing the screen is $200 and the whole phone is $400, yikes!

14. Brooke
    February 11, 2010 at 11:02 am (8 years ago)

U must stay “black” berry. U can’t leave. (Sidenote-I keep saying IPhone-but my pockets keep sayin NO)
    the apps are a beast!!! And I am like dang….At any rate, Im sticking with the Bberry…(for now)

15. caramelnaps25
    March 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm (8 years ago)

Hi:) I’m a new reader who is loving your blog! I am getting some ideas for the drab walls in my home:( Plain beige walls right now!

Hubby talked me into getting the bb and boy do I wish I had gotten the IPhone. He is now even talking about wanting one and has been a BB user for years. I don’t send tons of emails from my phone, am into blogs/apps and music. I sure wish I had chosen instead of being indecisive:( Woe is me:)

16. Adrienne S.
    March 21, 2010 at 5:33 pm (8 years ago)

Oh Dayka, I saw this list of apps before I bought the iPhone and it was one of the reasons I got it. I have so many apps and they haven’t slowed it down one bit. My fave is the Lucky mag app but I need to check out Craigs List app (thanks for the reminder). I believe the new 4g version is coming out this summer and it will be even more sleek! I HIGHLY recommend it.