Atlanta As A Tourist

I spent the majority of my week (and all of my weekend) with this guy (inside joke).  Saman (sah-maan) is someone I’ve known since high school which means I’ve now known him about 16 years.  I can’t even believe I’m old enough to say I’ve known someone that long!!  He was in town all week for work and stayed with me for the weekend which made for some funny times.  I love people who make me laugh, and this dude does not disappoint!  He is hilarious, but very sarcastic, and it cracks me up.  I kept forgetting to take photos, so all I have are shots from the aquarium & our private CNN tour, which was very cool.  It was fun to do Atlanta as a tourist for a change . . .

Saturday we hit the Georgia Aquarium which is billed as the largest in the world, and is the only aquarium outside of Asia to house whale sharks.  There were about a million people visiting with us, but it was good to get a taste of the ocean in landlocked Atlanta.  I was impressed, but not in love, being that the only other aquarium I’ve been to is the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium and because it is on the ocean, it is AMAZING.  But if you’ve never been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, you’ll love this one.

Ocean Voyager tunnel

The largest crabs I’ve even seen in my life.  Seriously.

Sunday morning we did the VIP CNN tour, which was a great behind-the-scenes look at the network started here in Atlanta in 1980.  While the VIP tour is normally capped at 10, there were no other people joining us this morning, so we had a personal tour to ourselves, which was fun.  We saw one show being filmed, but it was a closed studio, so we weren’t  able to get up close and personal.  24 hour news is an amazing thing, though–in the event of an emergency, they can actually get a story to air in 5-7 minutes, from research to on-air!  Wild, right?

Outside of the above, there were no photos allowed on the tour but I did get this shot of me with my boy, Anderson Cooper.  The cutouts looked so real!

All-in-all, it was a great weekend and good to reconnect with an old friend.  Isn’t Facebook one of the best inventions of the decade????

24 Comments on Atlanta As A Tourist

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    February 22, 2010 at 9:32 am (8 years ago)

so this is what you’ve been doing all week! your friend is cute cute cute!

2. The Broke Socialite
    February 22, 2010 at 10:24 am (8 years ago)

Surely I saw you at the aquarium on Saturday…well…if I had gone in, I would have. The long line and screaming toddlers scared me off. Ha! Glad you had a great time. The weather was to die for.

3. alissa
    February 22, 2010 at 10:37 am (8 years ago)

Looks like you had a great weekend! I love all of your pictures from the aquarium and you with the AC cutout!

4. Sharstin
    February 22, 2010 at 11:05 am (8 years ago)

what a gun weekend! and such cute picts–I too am a fan of Anderson Cooper! he rocks his silver locks:)

5. Kirsten Sue
    February 22, 2010 at 11:55 am (8 years ago)

Wow you took some great pictures. Fish usually creep me out but if they are behind glass in an aquarium I can usually handle it. Glad you are having fun.

6. The Design Notebook
    February 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm (8 years ago)

Hi Dayka,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog! Have a nice day!!

7. karen@fitnessjourney
    February 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

Looks like a fun weekend. Were you feeling up my man, Anderson, for the whole world to see? LOL! BTW, your friend is awfully cute!

8. Irene
    February 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm (8 years ago)

Hmm, I’ve been to the NY Aquarium, and the one in Long Beach, CA. I love aquariums, zoos, etc. We are seriously gonna have to take a trip down to the ATL this year. It seems to have so much to offer.

9. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    February 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm (8 years ago)

Whale sharks?! What a beautiful aquarium. I’ll have to go next time I’m in Atlanta.

10. Emily A. Clark
    February 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm (8 years ago)

Looks like fun. We are less than 4 hours from Atlanta and have been thinking about bringing our kids to the aquarium. Not sure if they could handle the crowds though. . . .May have to plan a weekday trip.

February 22, 2010 at 4:17 pm (8 years ago)

Looks like so much fun, the AT aquaruim looks amazing.

12. paula
    February 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm (8 years ago)

so fun! we hope to go to the aquarium with the kiddos this summer.

13. Tamstyles
    February 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm (8 years ago)

I was not big on facebook at first, but now I am all over that sucka..

14. Adrianna
    February 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm (8 years ago)

Girl he is HOT! Woot Woot! I got the tray today + I love it! Thanks so much. And the card was really nice. You def. need to open a full out store!

15. AB HOME Interiors
    February 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm (8 years ago)

Oh it looks like you had so much fun. Those crabs look scary and so do those jelly fish!

16. Destination Seaborn
    February 23, 2010 at 12:50 am (8 years ago)

Great pics! Looks like you had a great weekend!
    I’m a FB junkie…it’s great for re-connecting with old friends.
    Lisa

17. Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow
    February 23, 2010 at 1:32 am (8 years ago)

Hmm…some weekend eye candy! The GAQ never disappoints. It was one of my biggest jobs in my accountant days.

18. swtpee1010
    February 23, 2010 at 11:00 am (8 years ago)

Cutie! Oh yeah and all the other pics were nice, too!

19. My @ tha Hotness
    February 23, 2010 at 11:48 am (8 years ago)

Love the picture of you and Anderson Cooper. I was just saying this morning how much I love Facebook, I’ve connected with sooo many people.

20. Full House
    February 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm (8 years ago)

Look @ you…cool that you found your friend on facebook. I want to be a tourist in Atlanta someday.

If I ever come I hope you will tell me where to go.

xx – Christina

21. allegra
    February 24, 2010 at 1:05 am (8 years ago)

i love this blog of yours! i love your lamps you transformed/made over and all your other furniture and DIY projects. You have cute taste!

22. THE FABULOUS WIFE
    February 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm (8 years ago)

…SO I’MJ JEALOUS OF THAT PHOTO OF YOU AND THE ANDERSON COOPER CUTOUT, LOL – I LOVE HIM!

GREAT PHOTOS! LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD AN AWESOME TIME…AND YOUR FRIEND IS SUPER CUTE πŸ™‚

23. Natalie Catherine
    February 24, 2010 at 6:46 pm (8 years ago)

i’m originally from atlanta..grew up there.. your photos made me miss it!!! it’s a great city. glad you had fun!!! love your blog..just came across it!

24. autumn
    February 24, 2010 at 8:29 pm (8 years ago)

so funny!
    about 2 years ago, we took our kids to atlanta for a long weekend, and did the same stuff-the aquarium, the cnn building, and we also hit the circus (it was in town).
    did you go to the varsity yet?
    it’s right around the corner from the aquarium!
    those chocolate shakes are calling your name…you know you want one!
    πŸ™‚