Where Will You Be In 4 Weeks/Months/Years???

I love, love, love this song, and since I feel like my post today is about something inspirational (in a round about way), I decided to share this with you so you could listen as you read. I hope you love it as much as I do . . .

Remember those letters we used to write to our future selves in high school (and/or elementary)?? Well thanks to Jess at Make Under My Life (a site I really love), I found out about a site called Future Me that allows you to do just that! You can write yourself a letter to be delivered at a later date of you choice, and it’s absolutely FREE!! What a great way to not only hold yourself accountable, but to also remind you of your optimism and hopefulness at a later time when you may really need it (or remind you of how little faith you had when you didn’t know good things were coming your way!). You can also choose to make you letter public but anonymous, so that it will appear in the public letters section which is on the website. I had a chance to peruse through some of the public letters and people have written some interesting and personal things. In some ways, looking through some of the letters helps to remind me that people across the world struggle with some of the same things I do. Here are a few excerpts:

I would imagine you are still with Michael who in 2009 seems to be a wonderful wonderful guy. You have travelled to many overseas places with him and gone on numerous architecture adventures.
You guys plan to get married and your families love each other… kind of.
You are a confident, happy and independent woman!! If you haven’t all of the above, at least you should still have enough courage, inspiration and energy to work towards your dreams. All the best from 2009. (TO BE DELIVERED APRIL 2014)

And Jamie is a great kid, even if he does grate on the nerves sometimes. Remember how he woke up this morning with kisses. And being solo is better than being with someone who wants to own you. This freedom was hard won. Being lonely is still better than still being married and hating your life. (TO BE DELIVERED MAY 2006)

Be kind to yourself – the whole world is there to rip you down, you should be there to build yourself back up again. No one is going to do this for you.
Much love and respect
-Me (TO BE DELIVERED JAN 2010)

I hope you’re taking care of yourself. And finding yourself, too, because as I write this, you’re lost and wondering where exactly things started to change and you started giving yourself away. I hope you’ve found your beauty and talent again. I hope you’ve stopped giving in and giving up. I love you. (TO BE DELIVERED APRIL 2007)

I really like this idea and plan to craft one this week. I think I’ll have one delivered in a few months, and then maybe do it again to be delivered next year. It will be interesting to see if I’ve accomplished some of the things I’d like to do this year and if, as many people wrote, I’ve eased up on myself a bit. Time flies so quickly, it’s good to be able to take a photograph of your brain at any given day of your life. I think as I create mine, one of the things I know I would like to tell my older self is to remember to focus on living life as I work toward my passion/destiny, and not try to force something that isn’t, or get down because I’m not “there” yet. I think “there” is more of a journey than a destination, but I’ll know better in a few years! 🙂

Do you think you’ll create a letter to yourself? What things would you want to tell you older self??

Vanessa De Vargas

Photo courtesy of Houzz.com, Vanessa De Vargas

10 Comments on Where Will You Be In 4 Weeks/Months/Years???

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    January 18, 2010 at 10:55 am (8 years ago)

This is a great idea! I have ran across letters that I have written myself and its funny because nothing in those letters represent me now! I wanted to be a new reporter at one paoint and a nurse another time! I guess the young Lakeitha did’nt really “know” who she was!

2. karen@fitnessjourney
    January 18, 2010 at 11:00 am (8 years ago)

I love this idea. If I do it, I would tell my older self to decorate a room that looks just like the image on Dayka’s blog-that is gorgeous!

3. Anna Renee
    January 18, 2010 at 11:41 am (8 years ago)

Why don’t I have any India Arie in my music collection? What am I waiting for? This is beautiful just like India’s spirit! I so love her! I’m so old school that sometimes I forget about those younguns that really are talented AND have something to say! Going to Amoeba Records pronto!

4. Dayka
    January 18, 2010 at 11:53 am (8 years ago)

lakeitha–do we ever know?? 🙂
    karen-thanks!
    anna renee–run out and get it! all of her albums are so good, you can’t go wrong!

and I don’t know why the font is getting cut off, but I’ll have to deal with that later!

5. Adrianna
    January 18, 2010 at 1:22 pm (8 years ago)

I love India Arie’s music. So pretty and real. This song is so beautiful. I am going to have to put this song on my daughters mp3 player.
    I love writing letters to myself. I have ones from elementary school through high school that all state how I wanted to be a teacher and adopt older kids. I’m still trying to wrap up school and I still want to adopt kids! One thing has changed though. I didn’t want to have kids. I now do. Nothing happened in order though..lol. But that’s what I get for telling God my plans!
    I’m going to share this site with my kids. It’ll be good for them.
    Now that I’ve shared my life story….

6. Symone's Mommy
    January 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm (8 years ago)

What a fantastic idea! I absolutely love it. I wrote letters to Symone when she was a baby. I haven’t done as much since she got at little older, but still think letter are powerful. Thanks for sharing, Day.

7. Dayka
    January 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm (8 years ago)

So funny how life changes and things you think you know you really don’t, right? Thanks for the comments, everyone!

8. Haven and Home
    January 18, 2010 at 7:04 pm (8 years ago)

Wow how inspirational. I am definitely going to write a letter!

9. this blessed nest
    January 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm (8 years ago)

first timer here.

this post makes me smile for so many reasons. i wrote a letter when i was in 7th grade to my future self. i wrote that i would marry a guy from tennessee. (@ that time i was a born & raised so. california girl) years later…a guy stepped on my foot in a resturant. years later we married. he was & is from tennessee. 🙂 we live in tennessee now.

love ms. india! love her!

can i also say that sarah richardson is one of my faves?!?! i am also trying to update my blog style, format, etc… ok. that is it for now. i have already written a book.
    nice to meet you. 🙂

kellie

January 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm (8 years ago)

Love India Arie! I saw her and John Legand in concert a few months back she has such a soul-full voice