I’M BACK!!!

Are you glad to see me???? I hope so. I know, I know, it’s been a long break, but I found it nearly impossible to do much blogging while my family was in town. To tell you the truth, I didn’t look at many blogs either, so if I visited yours regularly before Thanksgiving and you didn’t see many/any comments over the holiday, please know that it wasn’t personal!! I’ve had my mother & grandmother in town since December 15th (to Jan 7), and my sister has come for an extended vacation, so it’s been very busy. To those of you who emailed and sent well-wishes, thank you!

I’m excited about the start of this wonderful new year. I’m believing that great things will be happening for me in 2010 and hope you are believing much of the same for your own life. Good things are already happening around here since my scanner is FINALLY working! It’s been good to have a bit of time to take care of things that have been a bit neglected around these parts. I’m not into making resolutions, but I am trying to get better about being more intentional with writing my goals down this year. I know that the statistics don’t lie when they say that people are more inclined to accomplish their goals if they’re written down, so I hope that this will help as I continue my long journey on the path to my destiny.

Here are a few of the goals I hope to accomplish in my little crib this year:

1. Organize my kitchen pantry by adding this door storage (that I originally had until the guys who installed my flooring cut the door and threw the piece away!!!).
2. Paint my guest bedroom (I tried a modified Tiffany blue, but it just didn’t feel right. I think I need to stay focused on warmer colors . . . ), and find/finish nightstands. Hopefully I can find a way to salvage my curtains . . .
3. Finish my master bedroom, which means either sucking it up and paying the $400 for crown moulding, or busting out the paint and finishing the 2-3 inches of unpainted space at the top. I also want to get rid of my head/footboard, move my bed in front of the window, and frame my sea fans that I’ve had for 3 years now. While I’m at it, I figure I’d say the outrageous and add bamboo flooring, because you never know–it IS possible!!
4. Install shelving in my office closet to help me keep up with my paperwork and provide additional space for my books and magazines. My 3rd bedroom/office only has one uninterrupted wall space, so the furniture layout is funny (I have a couch in addition to the desk) and I’d rather not waste a bunch of space with bookshelves when I can optimize my awkward closet.
Don't let your office look like this!!
On another note, I’ll be making some changes to my blog in the coming weeks and months, which I’m VERY excited about. I’m looking into redesigning my blog in the coming months and will be adding something like some inspirational posts (think Oprah’s “What I know For Sure” feature) with comments, quotes, and ideas pulled from different sources. I’ll still be blogging about design and refinishing furniture, but I know we can all use a bit of inspiration & hope (or at least I can!) to help make it through all of the days in between. I hope you’ll enjoy the changes and will continue to follow me throughout the year. Thank you for making my first 6 months of blogging a wonderful experience! It really is something special to have your ideas & efforts validated by people who probably wouldn’t know me if they passed me on the street! I feel loved!!
**I accidentally posted this last night without photo credits–oops! Photos are courtesy of Real Simple, Better Homes & Gardens, Boston.com, and Canadian House & Home, respectively. It also posted about 3 times, because it took me forever to figure out that it’s 2010 and not 2009–duh! To those of you that received multiple emails, SORRY!

16 Comments on I’M BACK!!!

1. Tamstyles
    January 11, 2010 at 12:45 am (8 years ago)

great goal..cant wait to see what you accomplish! good luck.

2. Anna Renee
    January 11, 2010 at 8:10 am (8 years ago)

Happy New Year Dayka! I love the idea of the storage rack over the door! I’ve been wanting a shag rug forever, (but dont want to pay for one) and I wish I could blog about my small small furniture finds, but it doesnt fit in any of my blogs! I’m looking forward to you inspirational quotes, and Tamstyles said she’d be doing something new too! Looking forward!! I had to redo my blog! Please come back to me at nnhbb.blogspot.com God bless!

3. Kim
    January 11, 2010 at 10:21 am (8 years ago)

Welcome back! I know what you mean about more colors, I prefer them too. I have a chocolate brown that I love called Beach House Beige from Ben. Moore. I also got a recommendation that Lowe’s Laura Ashley Taupe #3 & #4 were good, although I haven’t seen them in person.

4. Struggler
    January 11, 2010 at 10:26 am (8 years ago)

Welcome back and Happy New Year!
    Looking forward to seeing how some of these projects go for you.

5. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    January 11, 2010 at 11:28 am (8 years ago)

Great goals for the year and I love the pictures accompanying your goals! Glad to have you back girl :).

6. karen@fitnessjourney
    January 11, 2010 at 11:52 am (8 years ago)

I’m so glad you’re back-a day without Dayka is like a day without sunshine!

7. Adrianna
    January 11, 2010 at 12:27 pm (8 years ago)

Nice to have you back!! I can’t wait to see what you do. I’m on a sea fan kick right now (finishing living room). I have so many images of them I collected last week. Can’t wait to see yours!

January 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm (8 years ago)

Finally! Your Back ~ that’s for popping in and out of my blog to hi. I love Trader Joes food, I havn’t tried their tempura yet, but I’ll pick some up next time I’m there.

I love your goals, its always good to have a plan and stay focused. I think writing it down does help! Can’t wait to more rooms as you get closer to your after

9. paula
    January 11, 2010 at 1:29 pm (8 years ago)

you will be busy. I think I need that door organizer too.

10. Champagne Taste
    January 11, 2010 at 4:32 pm (8 years ago)

Hey girl.. Before you spend 400 coins on crown molding… Sarah @ thriftdecorchick.blogspot.com has done some fabulous things in her living room with modling… and i don’t think she paid anywhere near that…. Check her out if you haven’t already…O and Happy new Year hun! great goals!

11. Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow
    January 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm (8 years ago)

Welcome back Dayka! You are definitely on track with writing down your goals, it’s really powerful. Can’t wait to see the changes you are making with your blog…best wishes!

12. micah @ the yellow front door
    January 11, 2010 at 9:13 pm (8 years ago)

Happy new year and looking forward to your bedroom makeover – I’m doing the same thing.

13. Paula Grace Designs
    January 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm (8 years ago)

Wow, that is one great list. Very ambitious! I want to try yoga!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and enjoying the new series. I had fun doing it and look forward to doing more!

Paula Grace 🙂

14. Moni @ CL Journal
    January 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm (8 years ago)

Welcome back Dayka! Happy New Year! Love the goals and looking forward to reading your posts for 2010!

Sounds like you had a great holiday with your family. We cannot wait for the holidays to get here, then in a flash they’re gone. All we have is the memories, but to have them with family, it’s the best thing on earth!

Take care! 🙂

15. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    January 12, 2010 at 2:22 am (8 years ago)

WHATEVER!

It’s almost 2011 and you want to wish everyone a happy 2010!!!

Glad you’re back Dayka. Can’t wait to see everything you have in store for us!!!

16. pk @ Room Remix
    January 12, 2010 at 10:18 am (8 years ago)

You always do such a great job on your projects – looking forward to seeing all of these! Hope you’re having a good week.