Thrift Store Finds!

I found some GOOOOOOD stuff this weekend! Like I said yesterday, I heart Goodwill. I’m always on these on-off spurts about thrift stores, and I”m definitely back on now. You wouldn’t BELIEVE some of the stuff people give away (well, since you’re here you’re probably a “thrifter”, so maybe you would). I always think about how lucky I’d be if I knew all of these people who give this stuff away and I could just run by their house and pick it all up. I’d probably end up on Oprah’s next show about Hoarders. My spree started off with this baby.

For $5. It looks very similar to the one Tamstyles redid here. I’m thinking it will probably be white, but I picked up a perfect kelly green (quart) on the “oops” shelf for $1 a few days ago, so I might do something bright for a change. And I love the metal feet, too.
These were 1/2 off, and of course they’ll be sprayed white to match the others.
I was able to snatch this up after Lakeitha passed it by. I’m not normally all about milk glass, but if it has an interesting shape, I’ll take it! And for $1.80, who can complain?
Something about this spoke to me. I normally don’t go for this type of set up (print, frame, matting color), but I love it altogether, so it came home with me. I’m thinking I may use it in my guest bathroom . . . . ????
I love the lines underneath the glass, and it’s solid wood (and a bit heavy)!!! I was on the fence for a bit (because there was SO MUCH I wanted to take home), but a quick phone consult along blackberry photos saved the day. (thanks)
And this chair. Oooh, this chair.
I threw some clothes on and met Lakeitha out on Sunday. I found this in the back and needed a moment to think about it, so I took the tag off so people would see it was spoken for (even though it wasn’t). I needed time to think about it, and I like to walk around while I debate my purchases. I loved the lines, but was really looking for a pair of chairs, like these. We walked around the store and when I saw several women checking them out, Lakeitha said, “I bet you want them now, huh?” Of course I did. With curves like this, how could I not???
So I shoved it into my car (it almost didn’t make it) and brought it home to what is beginning to become a little shop. I don’t sew, but would love to be able to do something like this. If you’re too lazy to click the link, here’s the before and after:

LOVE THIS, and the photos are courtesy of Everythignleb. My only problem is that my chair has a removable cushion on the bottom, and while I know it’s probably not hard to do if you know how to sew, but I don’t so I’m out of luck. Any of you have any ideas???

18 Comments on Thrift Store Finds!

1. Annette
    December 8, 2009 at 11:27 am (8 years ago)

Hi Dayka. Those are some great finds! About that chair- does the bottom seat portion of the chair screw off? If so, you can do what Latasha did here: http://symonesmommy.blogspot.com/2009/08/chair-update.html. She took the bottom portion and the removable cushion and stapled batting and fabric to make one upholstered piece. She completed this project before I gave her a sewing lesson and my extra sewing machine so no sewing was involved in redoing this chair.

2. Dayka
    December 8, 2009 at 11:31 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, Annette. I know I looked at it in the store, so I want to say “no”, but I’ll have to double check. I’ve recovered my kitchen chairs, so if I can do that, it’ll be a cinch, and I’ll just have to worry about the back.

3. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    December 8, 2009 at 11:34 am (8 years ago)

I don’t sew either but there are enough chair recovering tutorials floating out there that if you’re brave, you can probably come up with someone. Or you could find someone on Craigslist to do it for you? Good luck with your fab finds!

4. paula
    December 8, 2009 at 12:38 pm (8 years ago)

Great finds! I can’t wait to see the transformations.

5. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    December 8, 2009 at 12:42 pm (8 years ago)

Major scores! I love that glass top table. I’m picturing it all painted. The chair is great too. I really like the tufting.

6. LindsB
    December 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm (8 years ago)

LOVE your chair, it will be such a fun before and after!

If you want to try re-covering yourself you can just get foam cut in the size of the seat and then once you get all the fabric off just make it one seat like mine…if that makes any sense haha.

And those coffee tables, whoa- such great finds, I’m jealous of your awesome goodwill!

7. Adrianna
    December 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm (8 years ago)

Hot d@mn!! You found some good stuff. My fave piece is the coffee table with the glass on top. I can hear it calling my name…gorgeous! And some how I have collected milk glass, slowly but surely. I’m dying to know what you did with you windows by your door. Do share :o)

December 8, 2009 at 3:05 pm (8 years ago)

Great chair! What color are you thinking for it? I’ve recovered a chair before…just watch how you take the current chair apart and take lots of pics so you don’t loose your way!!

Great finds…

9. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    December 8, 2009 at 4:23 pm (8 years ago)

I WANT THAT GLASS TABLE!!! what are you going to do with two tables? GOSH Dayka! I was the one who told you to get it so can I have it?! Oh, and I love the chair!

10. Dayka
    December 8, 2009 at 4:26 pm (8 years ago)

I told you, I’ll trade you the table for the two chairs. The ball is in your court–MAKE A DEAL!!! 🙂

11. Deanna Jackson
    December 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm (8 years ago)

I love, love the chartreuse chair with the wooden detail!!

12. Symone's Mommy
    December 8, 2009 at 8:56 pm (8 years ago)

Girl, you cleaned UP. LOVE that chair. Don’t ever think twice on stuff like that. Very fab. Ooo, and the table – okay, I need to calm down. I’m trying to stay out the thrift store until I finish some stuff. Now I have the itch!

13. Moni @ CL Journal
    December 8, 2009 at 11:18 pm (8 years ago)

I have to start hanging out in thrift stores!

14. Anna Renee
    December 9, 2009 at 3:53 am (8 years ago)

So many goodies! If I didnt live in such a small apartment, I would start with furniture as well. I did manage to find a couple things though. I dont have a design blog so no pictures to show.

@Moni–you better ask somebody! Why pay more for less quality, when you can pay less for more?
    🙂

15. Tamstyles
    December 9, 2009 at 11:09 pm (8 years ago)

that table does look like mine…i cant wait to see it done..good find….what you find me?

16. Tamstyles
    December 9, 2009 at 11:09 pm (8 years ago)

17. Tamstyles
    December 9, 2009 at 11:10 pm (8 years ago)

i cant wait to see what you do..that table look almost just like mine..wow

18. Mrs. Politico
    February 13, 2010 at 12:42 am (8 years ago)

what you did with the chair was amazing.. i’m learning how to sew, i can hand stitch pretty well… I’ll be back to see what you did with the table… kelley green is a great color!