This Is All That There Is . . .

As you see, this is not the Holy Grail of mantels. After some thought, I decided not to spend $100 on wreaths (I needed several for both, the bannister and the mantle) and ended up deciding to make good use out of the free trimmings from Home Depot.
I was able to get some cuttings from the base of some trees (which I’ll talk about another day) and a WHOLE BUNCH of trimmings that I cut to use for the mantel and as vase filler(s). The trimmings at HD are great–I would think other stores that have trees would make them available as well, but I know for sure they’re free at HD. You can use them for door swag, bannister swag (PK featured one I loved here), centerpieces, mantels, and the list goes on. If you’re looking to dress up your house for free, check HD.
(I’m sure you love my wonderful photo editing)
I decided not to go crazy and spend a whole bunch of money (I don’t have) and instead used what I did have around the house. The 2 empty lanterns came from Target 2 years ago and had yet to be used, so I put them to good use filling them with pinecones from my backyard and sparkly black ornaments I already purchased.
I was going to add glitter to the pinecones, but to be honest, I just didn’t feel like it with so much to do around the house, so I went for the rustic (read:free) look. 🙂 One thing I have learned this year is that black doesn’t show up well on a green tree and may be best suited for a white one next time around. I’m not quite sure when I’ll be buying a white tree, but maybe on an after Christmas sale . . . one day. Something came over me, and I decided that I didn’t want to keep going and pulling out more and more stuff (which I do have) to keep trying to “deck the halls”. I think these halls are about as “decked” as they’re gonna get at this point. I did my table (still need to have the burlap runner cut, but it doesn’t qualify as a Christmas item since it will be used all year) and have a little extra for my entryway, but “that about it” (as Jay-Z would say). I wouldn’t quite say that I have the holiday blues, but I am in the midst of preparing for a good bit of company, and my sister will be staying with me for an extended time, so I’m preparing for some changes and that’s where my energy is focused. On another note, here’s a peak at some things I picked up this weekend. The best is yet to come . . .
I heart Goodwill. (Help me, Lakeitha!)

18 Comments on This Is All That There Is . . .

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    December 7, 2009 at 9:57 am (8 years ago)

DAYKA ROBINSON (in my motherly voice), Why did’nt you tell me about these “tree trimmings” yesterday?!?!? You know that I’m having a hard time with my mantel! I demand you to march back down to the HD (still in my mortherly voice) and get me some right now!!!!

I really like your mantel! Oh and the way you find things at the goodwill, I would suggest that you keep it up!

2. Dayka
    December 7, 2009 at 11:13 am (8 years ago)

Your motherly tone is not loud, but more . . . no nonsense. And I can hear you saying that. I didn’t even think about it, really. I guess I thought you were done, but it’s crazy because we were RIGHT @ LOWE’S, however I did ask you TIMES if you wanted to see the trees, and you said no. You know my memory is bad, that would’ve jogged it. 🙂

3. Adrianna
    December 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm (8 years ago)

I love all of your mirrors first and foremost. I think your mantel looks great. It has a clean look to it.

4. Dayka
    December 7, 2009 at 1:51 pm (8 years ago)

I’m actually thinking about moving the mirror. Everything is always in motion in my home, lol.

5. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    December 7, 2009 at 2:45 pm (8 years ago)

That looks so pretty!

BTW, I’m planning to feature your tree in a post about bloggers homes at the holidays. Hope that is okay with you.

6. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    December 7, 2009 at 2:47 pm (8 years ago)

Your mantel is simple, sweet, and clean looking. I like it. Mirror is fab and I’m still trying to figure out what that light fixture??? thingy is in your last pic. You’ve got me curious :).

7. Dayka
    December 7, 2009 at 5:40 pm (8 years ago)

It’s pendant light fixture to replace the one in my entryway. It was $10 and even though it only has 1 light source (versus the 3 I have now), I hope it will provide some good light. I post when it’s up!

8. Sharstin
    December 7, 2009 at 10:59 pm (8 years ago)

Hey girly! thanks so much for your sweet comments–you are too cute! Your mantle looks great! and that mirror is faB!

December 7, 2009 at 11:24 pm (8 years ago)

I think your mantel looks great! I really like the framless mirror – I havn’t done much Holiday Decor this year..I’m dreaming of a big tree – white trees are fun

10. Brooke
    December 9, 2009 at 12:13 am (8 years ago)

Great way to save money you dont have! I need your skills! I cant find anything good at the GOODWILL on this side of 20W! Dern ur lucky

11. alissa
    December 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm (8 years ago)

Your mantle is beautiful – I love the fresh greenery!

12. Cristin
    December 14, 2009 at 7:03 pm (8 years ago)

your mantel is beautiful! thanks for the tour.

xo,
    cristin

13. Michael, Trisha, Grace, and Anna
    December 15, 2009 at 2:23 pm (8 years ago)

♥ your decorations! Your home looks fabulous! I ♥ Goodwill 2!!
    May you be blessed beyond measure this Holiday Season!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings~ Trisha

14. Cha Cha
    December 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm (8 years ago)

I love, love, love it. GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS.