It’s Finally Here, the Entry Reveal!

I hope I didn’t build you up, just to let you down! Here are the before’s . . .
I wish I would’ve taken more (and better) photos before any work began! That’s definitely a lesson that I’ll take with me to my next home–you never know how things will change, and what angles you’ll want to catch later, so photograph, photograph, photograph!!! Better to have too many than too few, right?
My house has a few challenges, most of them being storage-related, and the entry is one of those areas. Unfortunately my home doesn’t have a coat closet, and it’s something that didn’t even cross my mind until long after I moved in! The white chaise in my living room became the default closet and it’s starting to show some wear because of it. After putting the photos up, it finally occurred to me to add some hooks to the entry so my stuff wouldn’t be thrown all over the bannister (and the chaise) right when I walk in the door.
I also decided to add a basket underneath the console table to hold paper recyclables and help with keeping the area neat. My mail gets ridiculous, and I get so many magazines that I don’t read (my attempt at broadening my horizons) that the area gets cluttered very quickly. In the last few days, this simple basket has helped immensely. Add a cute bowl for keys & change, and I’m good to go! (there’s also some more of those free trimmings. love them!)
Now I’m all organized when I walk in the front door, and now my first real organizational “makeover” is done (is any project ever really done????). When I first moved in I struggled with what to use for the sidelites, because I wanted to let light in and be able to see out without people being able to see directly in. I ended up using a bamboo table runner attached to”c” hooks (is that what they’re called?) screwed in above the frame. I love the way it looks, and it gives me light and visibility, but with privacy–perfect! Just pay no attention to the fact that one is just a smidge shorter than the other. It’s just a smidge!
Now that I’m done I’ve been thinking about doing something bold to the entry (wallpaper? stenciling?), but I guess I should just enjoy this for now. It’s so great to finally be organized, even if it’s only in the entry! Thanks for being so patient, and I hope you love it like I do. πŸ™‚

20 Comments on It’s Finally Here, the Entry Reveal!

1. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    December 16, 2009 at 10:37 am (8 years ago)

I love it! Your starburst mirror looks great and the bamboo runner idea—genius!!!

2. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    December 16, 2009 at 10:44 am (8 years ago)

Yeah I like it! I’m so glad that the hooks are up now because you were draining me in Lowes that day talking about hooks (I kid, I kid!). I see what you’re talking about now about the space. I think this ottoman that I have would have worked in the entry. Its a nice piece that could be used to store your shoes in and sit to put on shoes

Here is the link to it so you can see the measurements:

You can have it if you want! Well that’s if I can have that table!

Oh and I’m still waiting on that wall color. You said its an oatmeal color, but I need a name!

3. Jesse
    December 16, 2009 at 12:13 pm (8 years ago)

It looks beautiful! Love your mirror!

December 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm (8 years ago)

The wood floors make all the differance, I also like the console table – they come in handy!!

5. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    December 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm (8 years ago)

I LOVE it! The white on the rails looks great. May I ask what kind of paint you used and maybe if you have any tips for a streak free application? I’d love to try painting my dated honey colored wood.

It looks wonderful and I love the piece above the table too!

6. Katie
    December 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm (8 years ago)

very nice!

7. thelennoxx
    December 16, 2009 at 5:50 pm (8 years ago)

Gorgeous!

When you walk into the entry, the room is dramatic with the dark brown wall in the stairway. When you leave the entry, it is beautifully soft with the perfect shade of beige. YUM!

I would love to see that hot sunburst mirror a bit higher on the wall, I think it would look extra dramatic =)

I can’t believe its the same space!! Kudos!

8. Adrianna
    December 16, 2009 at 5:56 pm (8 years ago)

I agree the bamboo runner idea IS genius! I’m def. doing the same thing. I love the colors you chose. They feel so warm & rich. What a huge difference! Every detail down to the flooring. I love it! I also love the way the bamboo looks when you are looking from the outside too. You did a fab job!

9. Brooke
    December 16, 2009 at 10:56 pm (8 years ago)

!GENI~US!

i lurve the whole look! phew glad you libe locally i need ideas..

10. Tamstyles
    December 17, 2009 at 3:59 am (8 years ago)

looks great…wow..what a diff..

11. Symone's Mommy
    December 17, 2009 at 12:07 pm (8 years ago)

I love it! The view from the front door is very nice. I, too, think a stencil would be nice. there looks like space for a little wrought iron piece above the door, too. I’m ready to take my christmas stuff down and get back to the grind.

December 18, 2009 at 12:58 am (8 years ago)

Dayka ~ Make sure you stop by my blog, I’m doing a giveaway!

13. Sharon
    December 18, 2009 at 4:56 pm (8 years ago)

Looks great … love the painted stair risers

14. Sharstin
    December 19, 2009 at 3:27 pm (8 years ago)

It looks fab! love that mirror! the before and after picts are great! what a transformation:)

15. Symone's Mommy
    December 23, 2009 at 12:26 am (8 years ago)

Hey, missing you in blog land. Hope all is well.

16. thelennoxx
    December 29, 2009 at 3:38 pm (8 years ago)

Hi Dayka! I just loved your entry so much that I featured it in one of my posts. I hope you don’t mind? =)

17. Celina
    January 11, 2010 at 6:36 pm (8 years ago)

Dayka: I love your treatments to the staircase/rails and your new floors. Very classic and beautiful!

18. Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick
    February 3, 2010 at 12:27 am (8 years ago)

Gorgeous!! Those stairs make my heart go pitter pat. πŸ™‚ The table runner idea is brilliant!

19. caramelnaps25
    March 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm (8 years ago)

Aside from the fact that my stairs differ our entry way is very similar. Sadly I will admit to still having paper blinds covering the sidelites πŸ™ but I’ve been trying to decide what to do! That is a great idea. I am thinking of painting the entryway. I will see what the summer brings!