Tree Reveal & A Goodwill Find!

This was the most fabulous weekend! Not only was the weather here BEAUTIFUL, but I spent all day Friday in bed watching The Godfather, which I’d never seen until now. I didn’t get dressed or step a foot outside, just watched all of parts 1 and 2, and a little bit of 3. I know it’s so bad, but it was so good, I had to tell you. You know those days where you’re inside and not even trippin’ about being out and about? Friday was one of those days for me. I was so happy not to be out in the crowd and crush of people. I don’t know when I’ll be doing it again, but it was fun while it lasted!

I normally love to put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving, but it didn’t happen until today because I just didn’t have it in me. I was so happy to finally be able to break out all of the decorations I bought last year after Christmas for 80% off. I try to do something different every year (don’t know how long this will last), and decided to go with black & gold this time around.

I love it! I’d been searching for black holiday ribbon but I couldn’t find it anywhere (“anyhwere”= Hobby Lobby & Michael’s). Why is that? With so many people doing “designer” and “out of the box” themes, I wouldn’t think it would be this hard to find black ribbon, or at least black and gold. I think an all black tree would look really good and would love to see one, if it’s been done (and I’m sure it has, in some magazine, somewhere). Anyhow, I initially decided to go ahead without any ribbon, but as I started decorating the tree, I felt like something was missing. I figure gold is better than nothing, so I might try that. I don’t know how well it will work to add the ribbon now that I’m done, but I can always keep it and use it for something else, so it won’t go to waste. I also wish I had more of those “pom-pom” things, but Target doesn’t have them anymore. πŸ™ I love large ornaments.
I added the white and gold ornaments to break up some of the black & gold–the black looks so dark when photographing without a flash. Oh, and excuse the broom–it was a leftover decoration from Halloween. Just kidding, but I wish–I took it out to sweep, but never did it since I don’t like to clean. Just being honest!
And of course, no tree is complete without my special angel ornament.
I also found this silver serving bowl this morning at Goodwill for $5!!
It’s slightly tarnished, but nothing that a little toothpaste can’t handle. I love old silver pieces that I can actually use! Well, that all for today–I hope everyone’s weekend went just as well as mine!
**EDITED** And can anyone help me with this black line? I don’t know why it keeps coming up and how to get it off!!!!! HELP!

18 Comments on Tree Reveal & A Goodwill Find!

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 30, 2009 at 12:42 am (8 years ago)

Girl when you said Martha Stewart I see you meant MARTHA STEWART!!!! Whew this is a nice tree. Now I’m going to take down mine and start over! This color scheme is bold and it works. I like it a lot! I saw some plates at Kohl’s the other day (Friday when you were in bed!) that would look great with your tree. You know for holiday entertaining….

About that serving dish…Is it for me?!?!? And when are we hooking up again?

2. Tamstyles
    November 30, 2009 at 12:42 am (8 years ago)

the tree is gorg…mine went up saturday.

3. Dayka
    November 30, 2009 at 12:52 am (8 years ago)

Thank you! I was looking @ yours thinking how symmetrical everything looks. For a minute I wasn’t even going to post this, since it looks so bad on camera–it didn’t photograph well to me! I had all of these photos to give you the WHOLE picture, lol. Uh, the dish I’m going to have to keep for myself, and we’re hooking up when you return a phone call!!!! πŸ™‚ I want to hit the Estate Sale this weekend.

4. Annette
    November 30, 2009 at 1:12 am (8 years ago)

Beautiful! I love the black and gold and that Christmas tree skirt is gorgeous also! If you have a Garden Ridge near you try them for black and gold ribbon. I have seen a large selection of ribbon there before.

5. Sherri @ Design2Shine
    November 30, 2009 at 7:35 am (8 years ago)

Your tree is beautiful! Had a laugh about your broom comment. πŸ˜‰
    I love the out of the box theme!

6. TRICIA @ The Zoo
    November 30, 2009 at 9:46 am (8 years ago)

Hi Dayka.
    I just wanted to stop by to say hello and to thank you for joining us at The Zoo. I think that I will be lost here in your archives for awhile though. πŸ˜‰
    Your tree is GORGEOUS!! I love that it’s simple and beautiful. Not over the top. Just lovely!
    I’m off to explore.

XO*Tricia
    P.S. That coleslaw looks delicious!! I may very well be the only one in my house to eat it, but I will definitely be making it. Oh, and isn’t two a fabulous/sometimes horrific age?! πŸ˜‰

7. Adrianna
    November 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm (8 years ago)

Your tree is beautiful and works nicely with your wall paint! I love the black ornaments. And the goodwill find is out of this world. As far as black ribbon, walmart has some, it’s not wired though. 12 ft for $1.97 and up. I was just looking at some last night.

November 30, 2009 at 1:38 pm (8 years ago)

I like the black and gold theme of your tree, it’s really pretty. i also like your tree skirt – nice!

9. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    November 30, 2009 at 2:49 pm (8 years ago)

Your tree is fabulous. I’m glad you showed the close-up so we could see the ornaments.

Great thrift store score too! Can you believe that people get rid of beautiful pieces because of a little tarnish? Their donation=Your gain!

10. Struggler
    November 30, 2009 at 4:13 pm (8 years ago)

Mmm, loving your black and gold theme, and that dish will be just stunning when you invest a little elbow grease.
    I’m sorry, I’ve no idea about the mysterious black line – it’s clearly not part of the Christmas tree image. Does it show up in every new post, or just this one?

11. Symone's Mommy
    November 30, 2009 at 5:12 pm (8 years ago)

BTW – fixed the link on my post for today. Thanks!

12. Dayka
    November 30, 2009 at 8:29 pm (8 years ago)

The line just started a few posts ago–drives me crazy!! Thanks for the compliments!

13. Mother of Vein of Galen Survivor
    November 30, 2009 at 11:48 pm (8 years ago)

Evening! I love your tree and the non-traditional look. It’s elegant, it’s Macy’s and Bloomindale Worthy! It reminds me of the trees in New York Stores this time of the year. And if you like Thrift Store, check out estatesales.net!

14. Dayka
    December 1, 2009 at 12:01 am (8 years ago)

Oooh, I didn’t think about Macy’s and Bloomies. Wish I could jet to nyc real quick to see what the trees are looking like this year. I used to LOVE looking at those windows. Thanks!

15. K-Red
    December 1, 2009 at 2:41 am (8 years ago)

The tree turned out amazing & so beautiful! I would also like to add, GO Saints! In the spirit of your black & gold themed tree πŸ™‚

16. Dayka
    December 1, 2009 at 3:17 am (8 years ago)

KAREN!!!! You came and commented??? Awwww. You’re right–it is very “Saint-y”. And the complement is huge coming from you, daughter of queen crafter! Thanks, boo!

17. HUMBER
    December 16, 2011 at 1:28 am (6 years ago)

Love the silver dish. You’ve mentioned toothpaste to clean it… There is a much simpler way.
    Grab a biggest pot you have and fill it 3/4 with water. Put couple of large pieces of aluminum foil into the pot and pour a handful of kitchen salt into it as well. Turn on the heat and boil.
    Into the boiling water, one by one put your silver pieces. They have to be covered completely. Use tongs and be very careful. You will see the tarnish fading almost instantly. Once you take each piece out, just polish it with a cotton towel. You will be impressed.
    Here is my before and after: