Thrift Store Finds

I’ve been finding some really good things at some of my favorite thrift stores, and this past weekend proved to be a gold mine as well! I found a set of 11 glass plates for only $4 and thought they would be great for the upcoming holidays, since I had a shortage of dessert plates last year. After a good cleaning, they look great. Don’t you love the cheese board and pitcher? $8 for both.
Please slap me for not getting this. I was worried about how much I’d be able to resell it for, so I hesitated and when I came back it was gone. Part of me really wanted to keep it, but since I’ve been working on my other piece, I didn’t think I should start stacking buffets in the garage. Only $55. Maybe next time.
Queen headboard for $11! I can’t decide if I should keep it or resell, since I’ve been looking for something like this and it’s so cheap. As you can see, the middle section isn’t real wood, but I’m thinking it should take the paint just fine. I’ll probably have to use primer to make sure it adheres. Also, I’d like to add some upholstery nails to the perimeter of the middle section as well, but I’m not quite sure if they’ll go into this particle board (or whatever non-wood product it is). I really like the lines of the piece and think it would look great with a little help. If any of you know about the nail head trim (in terms of if it will work), please enlighten me.
I loved this headboard and really wanted it (for only $20!!!!), but I didn’t have a way to get it back to my house. Why don’t I have a truck????? I love the combination of the scroll with the posts, and it reminds me a bit of a bed that my girlfriend just bought for her daughter from Ikea. Since my bedroom is a dark brown, this would’ve looked great against the wall in a glossy white . . .
And as a small parting gift, I also picked these “guide lights” for $2–I think I overpaid (that’s the cheap me coming out). Anyhow, I always love the look of the lights in the paper bag during the holidays, and since I hadn’t thought about flame retardant bags, I figured maybe these were a good buy (the package also includes the 6 tea lights). If I don’t end up using them, I can always give them away.

It was a good weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚ Don’t forget to let me know if you have any answers to the questions above-thanks!

14 Comments on Thrift Store Finds

1. Adrianna
    November 11, 2009 at 5:26 pm (8 years ago)

Good grief, you hit gold!!! Those are some great finds. The headboards are more than a bargain. They’re just about free. And as far as stacking up stuff in your garage, you have a good head on your shoulders. You should see my garage. It is a hott mess. Hot with 2 t’s.

2. Anna Renee
    November 11, 2009 at 6:08 pm (8 years ago)

Just this morning I was thinking I need something like this! A buffet! This one is nice, too. It’s just as well that you don’t have a truck because your garage would be a “Hott Mess” too! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    PS, but a truck would be good…..

3. Tamstyles
    November 11, 2009 at 6:34 pm (8 years ago)

if only minehad stuff like that

4. Brooke
    November 11, 2009 at 6:44 pm (8 years ago)

Dayka,

Great thrift finds! Where do you go? I reside near the West End and I have to ride out to Roswell/Dunwoody to get what we call the “good stuff” keep me posted because I so luv good deals! Luv ur blog too……….

5. Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    November 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm (8 years ago)

Seriously!? Your thrift stores are amazing… and the person pricing everything is a little crazy! I looove that headboard!

6. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 11, 2009 at 7:59 pm (8 years ago)

Dang Dayka!!! That’s the goodwill over by Northlake Mall right?! When did you see these items because I WANT THAT SCROLL HEADBOARD…

Oh and about the nailhead trim, yeah it should work. I’ve only used the indivisual tacks.

7. Dayka
    November 11, 2009 at 8:03 pm (8 years ago)

Girl, that thing is gone! You’re going to be mad when I tell you this, but something told me to call you, but then I was thinking, “naw, they have boys, they won’t want this.” I didn’t even think about the fact that YOU might want to use it. So sorry! I’ll keep my eyes peeled for you . . .

8. micah @ the yellow front door
    November 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm (8 years ago)

Holy guacamole – I can’t believe those prices! I wish we had a thrift store like this!

9. Symone's Mommy
    November 12, 2009 at 10:54 am (8 years ago)

Girl, you cleaned up! Yeah, you missed out on that buffet/dresser thing. There will be others, though.

10. karen@fitnessjourney
    November 12, 2009 at 11:56 am (8 years ago)

Great headboard. I’d love to see it painted in an unexpected color.

November 12, 2009 at 12:50 pm (8 years ago)

I love the those headboards. The thrift stores where you live have great prices…I’m begining to think the thrift in Ca have caught on and are upping prices left and right…

12. Annette
    November 13, 2009 at 3:08 pm (8 years ago)

Those are some great finds. I love the scroll headboard! I feel you on the truck thing. Me and Latasha both have cars, but if at least one of us had a truck or SUV we would be in trouble, trouble. LOL.