I Love This Kitchen!

While picking up spray paint and other a few other items in Home Depot last week, I ran into this wonderful kitchen. It’s so my style, and it made me re-think my needs and wishes. Obviously the pole going through the island isn’t a part of the set-up, but it made me realize that we often times have a tendency to build bigger instead of building smarter, or building for how you (and your family) actually live. Granted, this is harder if you’re moving into a pre-existing home, but there are still changes to be made that can improve your space. I know one of the issues I have in my home is a lack of storage. There’s no front closet, so there’s no place downstairs to hold coats & purses, or store heavy blankets for lounging around downstairs. Just this weekend I started looking for a (stylish) coat rack and am thinking of using the extra space at the bottom of my armoire to store my quits. In my kitchen I’m pretty much able to deal with the counter space (or lack of), but I feel like I’m always having to shove things in the drawers or cabinets. So much that a shelf in the cabinet where I store my heaviest things completely collapsed. Looking through this kitchen showed me that a small space can really be more functional than a large one, of it’s planned correctly. Let me show you . . .
This is like the mother of all pantries, especially for a kitchen of this size . This thing is ridiculous!
Um, hello???? There are 2 layers of storage in this bad boy! Have you ever seen anything like this? You could hide a small child back there (though I DO NOT recommend it )! After using this, I think I would only need about one more cabinet for my dishes and that would be it. This thing is crazy.
Love this undermount sink from Kohler. This is the first time I’ve seen something like this that has two sides that are not totally separate. I’m really feelin’ this style, and of course, I love a porcelain sink. I moved into my home from a place that had a porcelain sink, and I never knew that the stainless one could get so spotty–or maybe I just never noticed before. Don’t get me wrong, the sink I have does the trick (I am very grateful for running water, period), but since I’m not the cleanest person, I’ll definitely be going this route next time. Clean it out and you’re done–no spots!
Here’s a close-up of the beautiful glass tile backsplash. I love the material and the pattern they created. This would also be really pretty as subway tile.
This is what I always want to check out in a kitchen, and this corner cabinet did not disappoint! I wish I would’ve gotten a photo of it closed, because it looked like a small little door, but it was actually double hinged with 3 levels of storage. Mine is like a black hole. I feel like I actually have to CLIMB IN THE CABINET to get whatever has fallen to the back. It can be really scary.
I think I first saw this at Ikea, though I know many companies make something like it. If this isn’t convenient, I don’t know what else is. I think I also like how things are kind of close in this kitchen– you don’t have to run to different places to get the things you need.
Here’s a view of the entire space from the other side. I could do without the wine cooler, since I don’t drink, but everything else I love. And what about you–what do you think about this space (both planning, and color scheme)? For those of you who have small and/or older kitchens, what solutions have you come up with to maximize your storage space? Struggling to be Stylish shared a great tip with me last week about how she put her spice rack on the inside of her cabinet door. I would love to try that, if they weren’t so full already. Talk to me, people . . .

14 Comments on I Love This Kitchen!

1. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 19, 2009 at 11:48 am (8 years ago)

I hear you saying “um, hello?”! Girl I love this kitchen! I planned to just get new granite counter tops for my kitchen, but now I want a whole new kitchen! I need more storage.

2. Danielle @ Transforming Home
    November 19, 2009 at 11:53 am (8 years ago)

I love it! I especially like how the countertop is cut on the island.
    The only thing is that people are saying that dark cabinetry with granite countertops is going out of style – it seems the look nowadays is white kitchens. But who cares? I love dark cabinetry – I think it is very rich and classic.
    And that backsplash is gorgeous!

Danielle

3. Symone's Mommy
    November 19, 2009 at 12:12 pm (8 years ago)

I LOVE the dark stain. Breathtaking. I LOVE LOVE LOVE dark wood.

4. Adrianna
    November 19, 2009 at 4:27 pm (8 years ago)

I love that kitchen too! The milk white sink with the espresso color cabinets is pretty. In my life I have never seen such storage! That is every cooking woman’s dream. Sadly we have to rent and our cabinets are way outdated :o(

5. Deanna Jackson
    November 19, 2009 at 4:38 pm (8 years ago)

I love the Mahogany wood finish on the cabinets.

6. Dayka
    November 19, 2009 at 8:08 pm (8 years ago)

It’s small, but so efficient I wouldn’t miss the space. I know that a lot of people are moving away from the dark cabinet thing, but being trendy in your house comes at a price! I think it’s good to stick with up to date finishes, and customize as much as your budget will allow. Thanks for all of the comments!

7. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    November 19, 2009 at 8:38 pm (8 years ago)

My pantry in my kitchen is huge but not nearly as cool as that. I love it. And yes, I think small children would love it too :). I still love this look even if it is marked as “going out of style”. The kitchen I picked out for our next door neighbors’ house is very similar in style to this one and I adore it. (I was paid to redo the house next to ours. I would gladly take theirs over ours any day!)

November 20, 2009 at 12:37 pm (8 years ago)

This kitchen is huge (compared to mine! When we do our kitchen next year, I’m hoping to make is more user friendly, and somehow get more storage.

9. Struggler
    November 20, 2009 at 2:45 pm (8 years ago)

That sure is one heck of a pantry! I agree, the sink is gorgeous.
    I have a sort of lazy Susan thingy in my corner cabinet – it’s not a full circle, but still swings around and out to make it easier to get at stuff. I don’t know how easy it would be to fit that in the space you have. Here is one that’s similar.

10. Miss Mustard Seed
    November 20, 2009 at 3:15 pm (8 years ago)

Wow! That kitchen is great. And I can’t wait to see how the chairs turn out when they are finished.

11. Dayka
    November 20, 2009 at 8:37 pm (8 years ago)

I consider anyone who has a lazy susan to be lucky. You do not know what HELL it is to have to put your upper body in a cabinet to look for something! Thanks for the link. My cabinets are so old, it would probably make sense to upgrade them completely, if I’m here long enough.

12. P.S. I love this...
    January 20, 2010 at 2:36 am (8 years ago)

I love this kitchen. It is perfect when space is at a premium. I’ve never heard that the dark wood with granite was going out of style.. good thing I don’t follow trends. =)

We’re house shopping now and ALL of the kitchens are outdated and plain ‘ol ugly so we’d have to get a new kitchen… thanks for sharing this.

Great blog!

13. caramelnaps25
    March 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm (8 years ago)

Okay these pics are making me want to renovate my kitchen instead of continue to think about moving into a bigger, better, free standing house instead of my townhome. Then I awaken to the reality of the economy…… let me start planning my kitchen renovations, lol! Love the pics!