How Sad Are You For Me???

The unthinkable and unimaginable has happened. My sweet, wonderful, beloved Mac has . . . . (dare I utter the words) died and gone to the sweet hereafter. (“Baby, do you hear me??? C’mon home to momma . . .”)

Upon embarking on a little evening blog-surfing over the weekend, I encountered a strange white screen. After a few minutes a folder came up with a question mark inside, and then it started flashing. I was able to use another computer (not mine) to google “white screen on a mac”, and stuff started coming up like “White Screen of Death, Macbook.” Uh, that is DEFINITELY NOT a good sign. I wanted to scream and jump up and down like this fellow.
Anne Anderson's Rumpelstiltskin Illustration
photo from Anne Anderson’s Old, Old Fairytales

Rumplestiltskin is his name (I loved that story). Anyhow, after further reading I found out that the hard drive has most likely died. Now what makes this story even more “exciting” is that I had over 1,400 photos in iPhoto. Just in case you didn’t get it the first time, that’s one thousand and four hundred. Arrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! My PC crashed 2 years ago right after my father passed away and by the grace of God, Best Buy was able to salvage some, but not all, of my photos. It took a long time to get the stuff, and by the time they recovered it, I was just happy to have some photos instead of none. So I bought an external drive and ended up rarely using it–because Mac’s don’t ever have problems, right? Luckily I got bored a few months ago and attempted to back up my hard drive. I never checked to see if it everything transferred, but I definitely have the most important photos, which are those of my father and our last Christmas together in 2006.

So what this means is that not only am I majorly crippled without a computer, I’ve also lost practically everything!!! I have no photos of the way my house looked before I moved in (I do have ones of my bathrooms, though. Thank God I at least posted my kitchen already!), and none of all of the work in progress. Vacation photos? Gone. 10 year high school reunion photos? Gone. College Graduation? Gone. I lost all of my latest random projects (photo frames, furniture, etc.), and the blogging stuff I hadn’t posted about yet! I even lost all of my bookmarks I had saved (easily over 200)–my favorite sites, places I wanted to visit, and interesting tidbits of information!!!!! I’m sure there’s stuff I’m missing, but this is all I can think of right now. Awwwwwww!!!!!!! I wish I would’ve just loaded all of the photos into Blogger and used them as needed, but of course I didn’t have that forethought. So I’ll be working hard on my posts, and trying to search through my external drive to find some of my other stuff. Please take this a reminder to BACK YOUR FILES UP!!!!! Through Googling, I found out that Mac has something called a “time machine” where you can back your computer up, and if it ever goes out, after you do a system restore you can load the “time machine” and put your computer back just like it was the last time you were on it–home page and everything. A lotta good it does me now, but I won’t be selfish and hog the info. For all of you bloggers & blog-readers, there’s still time. If you don’t have an external drive, you can also do an online backup with a company like Mozy for as little as $4.95/month. If you’re like me and your photos are the most important things to you, please do this now. You never think it’ll happen to you until it does. Cry, cry, tear, tear. I told Beth that I wanted to pull all of my hair out, but I thought twice because then I’d be depressed because I’d be ugly, and being depressed around the holidays is a recipe for disaster (worse than not backing up). So while I do have my hair (which looked quite good in some of those photos), I’ve lost mementos of many important events in my life over the last several years. 🙁 So I ask again . . . how sad are you for me???

17 Comments on How Sad Are You For Me???

1. Sherri @ Design2Shine
    November 23, 2009 at 9:40 am (8 years ago)

Oh how SAD I am for you! I’ve lost a computer or 2 along the way myself with photos. Luckily MOST of the time I have bunches already on the blog, facebook or somewhere. I REALLY need to back mine up..BUT my computer is already on the decline. The really BEST suggestion is to put them on a photo site. Takes FOREVER to upload, but then you have them.
    Maybe Santa will bring you a new Mac?

2. Dayka
    November 23, 2009 at 10:34 am (8 years ago)

You know I never even thought of using something like “snapfish” until someone mentioned it yesterday. I don’t normally share a whole album like that, but it would’ve been smart for my house stuff. Yup, a new one would be nice!!!!! I didn’t think to look at the refurbished ones, though. hmm . . . . .

3. L.Duncan@home23duncanboys
    November 23, 2009 at 10:50 am (8 years ago)

I’m very sad for you:(

I wanted to see those photos! And that is a nice picture of you and your dad (and nice hair too)!!!

4. Annette
    November 23, 2009 at 11:56 am (8 years ago)

Oh I am so sorry Dayka. I know how you feel. My daughter’s laptop died earlier this year and we lost all of our pictures from our trip together to Europe. It was a fantastic Mother/Daughter trip and we lost those beautiful pics. Well you live and learn!

5. micah @ the yellow front door
    November 23, 2009 at 12:14 pm (8 years ago)

I am so sorry! I don’t know what I would do if I lost all my photos. I have most of mine saved on the web (Picasa) just in case.

Thanks for your advice on my new Mac, btw. I am going to check out one of those classes. How long did you have yours before it… um…. passed away?

November 23, 2009 at 12:37 pm (8 years ago)

I’m sorry this happend! I better get an exteranl harddrive asap! This also just happened to Mich at the Yellow Front Door

I love the picture on you and your father

7. kiakai/Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing
    November 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm (8 years ago)

Oh Im so afraid that will happen to me too. I really need to get on that, and back up my files. Famous last words huh?
    Thanks so for stopping by to visit. You have such a fun blog. I love DIY projects. Can’t wait to see your dining room chairs finished!
    Kelly

8. TRICIA @ The Zoo
    November 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm (8 years ago)

Hi.
    I just stopped over from The DIY Showoff and wanted to say hello. Your blog is wonderful. But oh my goodness! I am sooo sad for you. My laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago and I lost some stuff, but nothing compared to what you have. I’m so glad that you were able to save some of your photos. The one above of you and your dad is beautiful!

XO*Tricia

9. Moni @ CL Journal
    November 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm (8 years ago)

Dayka,

I still say take it to a Mac store, one where business people frequent (for some reason, those stores get better service). They may be able to rescue some more.

I have a 120 GB hard drive that I forget backup to. As of today, I will be doing just that.

Sorry that happened to you! 🙁

10. Moni @ CL Journal
    November 23, 2009 at 1:33 pm (8 years ago)

By the way, that is a great picture of you and your dad. All family photos have to be backed up for sure!

11. Danielle @ Transforming Home
    November 23, 2009 at 2:06 pm (8 years ago)

So sorry – that is a major bummer.I guess I should start backing up! So you will be getting a new computer for Christmas??

Danielle

12. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    November 23, 2009 at 8:55 pm (8 years ago)

I’m totally sad for you and laughing my butt off at the same time because you are hilarious :). I’m so, so sorry that you’re baby has died. And I’m currently trying to figure out that time machine things on my Mac. I knew about it beforehand but after our convo I decided there was no time like the present to back that baby up! I’m with Danielle on this one. New sexy Mac for Christmas???

13. Dayka
    November 23, 2009 at 9:12 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks everyone. Sometimes I feel better when I know people are actually sad for me–crazy, right? It is definitely a lesson learned. I need to get a safe deposit box, too. And thanks for the comments on the photo–I think my face looks a bit long (when in reality it’s not), but I still love it! New news tomorrow!

14. Symone's Mommy
    November 23, 2009 at 11:32 pm (8 years ago)

Oh, Dayka. I am beyond sorry for you. I have been thinking to do a backup for a few weeks now. I am going to make that a priority tomorrow. I lost some pics last year, but was able to recover most. This was a powerful post. Lovely pic of you and your daddy.

15. Skooks
    November 24, 2009 at 1:35 am (8 years ago)

Ugh. This totally happened to me not that long ago as well. Thankfully, I had done some backing up and had been too lazy in the last year to delete all the photos off my memory cards. With that being said, I lost EVERYTHING ELSE I had. Too much stuff to even mention. And yeah, I cried too. A lot.

16. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle
    November 24, 2009 at 8:21 am (8 years ago)

Oh, Sweetie, I am so sorry for you. I don’t back up like I should. Thanks for sharing this story as a reminder of the importance of backing up your information. I’m just glad that you were able to recover the pictures of your father when this happened before. That’s a great picture of you and your dad.

17. Brooke
    December 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm (8 years ago)

Hey use snapfish, smilebox, kodak memory, and back up your files. I love the pic with you and your dad. I miss my pops and he an i took a photo when i had natUral hair. I am glad MAC saved you! i want a MAC but can I afford it?? Guess what I am backing up my files “RET” now! Thank you for reminding us of this….(especially with photos)