I NEED HELP!!!!!

Hi All.

I desperately need help. I’m in search of the perfect red. I bought this to test on my sideboard, and it looks so pink! It’s just the first coat, so maybe 2 will do the trick? It’s Ralph Lauren Mai Tai, # IB57. Looked okay on the swatch, not so much in person. Don’t even try to pull it up online, because it looks AWFUL. Seriously. Is there a rule to reds that I don’t know about? Am I supposed to be buying darker than I actually want? You would think now that sample are $3 a jar I’d be more apt to by several colors and try them out, but I’d rather put that money towards the paint, especially since I KNOW someone out there in blog world has the answer I need. I’d like a bright, but rich red. Deep, but not maroon. A classic red, like toenail polish, or maybe a smidge darker. If any of you know what I’m talking about, have a go-to red, or can show me an example (used in one of your projects), please let me know ASAP. I’d like to get started on this thing this weekend. Also, if you know the “secret language” of red(s), please drop me a line as well. Impart knowledge to me . . . .

6 Comments on I NEED HELP!!!!!

1. Tamstyles
    October 31, 2009 at 3:58 am (8 years ago)

I am not good with the reds…i went through i know about 9 samples before i found a beige…

October 31, 2009 at 1:34 pm (8 years ago)

Can you bring a sample of the red polish you like and see if they can color match? Reds are tricky they can have orange undertones etc.

3. Beth@The Stories of A to Z
    October 31, 2009 at 4:59 pm (8 years ago)

I like Benjamin Moore’s Caliente. It’s rich and spicy with more blue undertones. I also like Benjamin Moore’s Million Dollar Red. It looks FANTASTIC up against white and is more of a classic toenail polish red. Good luck!

4. Dayka
    October 31, 2009 at 6:11 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks so much, everyone! I’m definitely a neutral person, but want to use the red for the sideboard. I was going to go with something I found today (along the lines of a classic red), but I think I’ll try to find those Beth suggested tomorrow. I wasn’t thinking about a blue undertone, so that helps to guide me search. Wish me luck!

5. Symone's Mommy
    October 31, 2009 at 10:31 pm (8 years ago)

You got FEATURED on DIY Show-off! Good for you! Keep blogging!

6. Anonymous
    August 19, 2011 at 8:26 am (6 years ago)

I read on another blog (I ‘think’ Little Green Notebook) that fire safety red SPRAY paint will produce a classic red/orange color.

Andee